Mothering Forum banner

Weekly Chit Chat 3-29 to 4-4

1K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  astar326 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a new one since we havent had one for a while.
I had my first app with my midwife today. I am 11 weeks tomorrow. She couldnt find a heartbeat but she said she wasnt concerned. I am going back next monday and we are going to try to hear it then.
Over all I was very pleased with the midwife. My husband went with me and he left and was really impressed with her. Thats impressive to me since he wasnt sure about homebirth at first. She knows what she is talking about and explained everything from now til after the birth and what she will do. I feel so much better about it all!

#2 ·
I am FINALLY having my very first midwife appt on Wed! I am so so excited, I can't wait. I hope she can find the heartbeat, I'll be 11.5 weeks. I heard it at 9 weeks with all my other pregnancies, so I hope she can find it or I'll get all nervous. That is really all I have to report. I have been looking forward to that appt forever!

#3 ·
I went for my 12 week appointment today. Got to hear the heartbeat. It took a long time and I was starting to get sad, but she found it and it was awesome. She said everything was going well with the baby, but she was concerned that I may have a short cervix. So, I have to go for an ultrasound on Friday to have it measured. If it's measuring short, they will do a cerclage. I'm kind of scared and still doing research on that. But, was so happy that the baby is doing well that it is helping to keep me a bit upbeat.

MS is still here but it's getting better all the time. It's nice to read other people on here are starting to feel really good...I can't wait!

#4 ·
So today I am 13 weeks. And guess what I did yesterday evening. I threw up. Not unusual since there are still days that I don't feel all that spiffy. But it was while we were driving home from church. I didn't throw up IN the car, but I did ask DH to pull off the road so that I could go make use of a nearby grassy patch. What a sight I must have been to the other people on the road, lol. Then my poor throat was all sore and raw for a good 10 minutes afterwards b/c of the acid.

I'm so BEYOND ready to be feeling something besides sick. A little movement, a little anything. Although I should be careful what I wish for, b/c today I've been having ligament pain all day now. Remind me when pregnancy is supposed to get to the fun part? LOL

#5 ·
Harmony-I'm so sorry that you are still sick and that soreness in your throat sounds terrible. I hope you feel better soon. I'm 13 weeks and the ligmant pain can be bad over here as well. I have to be really careful twisting at the waist.

Zjande-I didn't have my first midwifery appointment until 12 weeks, so I know how you feel about FINALLY seeing her. I hope you have a great appointment and hear the heartbeat.

Meredith-I'm not sure what a cerclage is. I have heard if it before. Could you explain? I hope during the ultrasound your cervix is as long as they want it to be so you can avoid the procedure. It is just easier when things go smoothly. Let us know what happens.

Mrscompgeek-Hooray for hearing the heartbeat. Those little suckers can be hard to find. The babes like to hide behind mommy's heartbeat! Glad you had a great appointment.

I had my first appointment last week and it was great. This is the third baby this midwife will have attended for me so we have become good friends over the years. I spent 2 hours there just catching up and talking about past births and what I wanted to the same/different this time. I think I may have felt the baby flutter a few times here or there, but I'm not sure. I can't wait to be sure and feel it all of the time. Have great week ladies!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
So today I am 13 weeks. And guess what I did yesterday evening. I threw up. Not unusual since there are still days that I don't feel all that spiffy. But it was while we were driving home from church. I didn't throw up IN the car, but I did ask DH to pull off the road so that I could go make use of a nearby grassy patch. What a sight I must have been to the other people on the road, lol. Then my poor throat was all sore and raw for a good 10 minutes afterwards b/c of the acid.

I'm so BEYOND ready to be feeling something besides sick. A little movement, a little anything. Although I should be careful what I wish for, b/c today I've been having ligament pain all day now. Remind me when pregnancy is supposed to get to the fun part? LOL
I threw up stomach acid Saturday morning. It was my 1st time and I'm 11 weeks today. It did hurt - the acid burned my throat and made me hoarse.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by firewoman View Post
Meredith-I'm not sure what a cerclage is. I have heard if it before. Could you explain? I hope during the ultrasound your cervix is as long as they want it to be so you can avoid the procedure. It is just easier when things go smoothly. Let us know what happens.

I guess that it is a surgical procedure where they sew your cervix closed during the pregnancy. Then, a week before your due date, they remove the thread. It sounds kind of scary and the thought of having surgery with a baby is frightening. I'll let you know what happens! Thanks for asking.

#8 ·
Had my first midwife appointment last Wednesday!! I was so excited. Last pregnancy I went at 8 weeks, so waiting until I was 10 weeks felt like torture!! She was great, and we even heard the heartbeat! She wasn't sure we'd be able to because my uterus is not quite above my pelvic bone yet, but after my internal exam she said we had a better chance because of the inward position of the uterus (something like that).

Anyway, we tried and it was so clear!!! My DD was there, holding my hand the whole time (she's only 2). She said "baby says woosh woosh woosh". It was heartbreaking! I was so excited that I forgot to ask how fast it was beating.

I haven't posted in a few weeks. We've been really crazy with our new house, which has a rental to get ready to show. We have to rent it by May 1st...totally nervous and anxious for everything to work out! I just want to be able to concentrate on this beautiful pregnancy! Plus....I missed you ladies.

#9 ·
Meredith-You know...that doesn't sound SO bad (easy for me to say, huh?). That is what I thought it was. Better to do that than dilate early. Like I said before, hopefully the ultrasound proves that your cervix is longer than your mw thinks. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

#10 ·
My first OB appt is tomorrow. I will be 10 weeks on Thursday, so I don't know if she is going to be able to hear the heart beat. If not, I think I mighty insist on an US because of my MC history as well as I have had no symptoms for a long time. I can't handle the extra stress with everything else I am dealing with right now. Does anyone know of stories where they were able to hear the heartbeat at ten weeks?

#11 ·
MeredithK-a cerclage isn't all that bad, a former hair client of mine had to have it done to prevent her pregnancies from going early. The only thing with her is they had to induce her if I remember correctly.

Well I went to our local mom/baby center in our little town. I have heard there are a number of baby items and clothes there, and there were. I scored a basically brand new bouncer chair, and a number of unisex onsies for our new LO. Many of them are super cute and in great shape, including a cute as can be pumpkin onsie, OMG it is so cute. Can you imagine a little bundle in a cute pumpkin onsie, I just can hardly contain myself
:. All the stuff was free, it is all donation. Great resources exist in our little community, this building houses our WIC, DSHS, Planned Parenthood outreach clinics, plus the local mother's group. Although I am no longer involved with the latter-it seemed to cliquish for me, so I quit going when DD was a young toddler. I think that I will take some of DD's clothing in as I saw there was very little toddler girls clothing and she has a ton of stuff.

Baby is going crazy today-been doing backflips galore. Also crazy news has found us, our friend of forever just announced he and his girlfriend are having a baby, pretty much exactly 2 weeks after I am due. He is a bit freaked, but I saw him today on their way to the doc. We are 100% supportive of him and will help in whatever way we can. He is slightly overwhelmed, she is not as bad she already has 2 children, so it isn't as crazy for her. It was a tiny bit of a shocker for us, but nothing too out of this world. Weirdest thing was we had just been talking about his finding a girlfriend and how he could make a really good dad, and now he's gonna be at the same time as we are having a baby-in a way too cool.

That's all for me. I hate to say it but I feel so good right now, I haven't even had a Zantac today-whoo-hoo.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
My first OB appt is tomorrow. I will be 10 weeks on Thursday, so I don't know if she is going to be able to hear the heart beat. If not, I think I mighty insist on an US because of my MC history as well as I have had no symptoms for a long time. I can't handle the extra stress with everything else I am dealing with right now. Does anyone know of stories where they were able to hear the heartbeat at ten weeks?
Well, I am not sure if I count with all of the craziness we have had.
At any rate, I saw a new OB on Friday and she found the heartbeat right away. The midwife was guessing at October 24th for a due date. The other doc said Nov. 5th.
The new OB said that I had to be about ten weeks or more to find the heartbeat that quickly. Needless to say, I am scheduled for yet another US on Friday. Going by the 24th, I was ten weeks on Saturday.

#13 ·
Hi everyone. I'm still around and lurking, but never have time to post. But here I am! lol

I'm so happy for everyone that went to appointments and for those who got the hear their LO's heartbeat. That is so exciting!

My next mdiwife appt. is on the 7th. I'll be a lttle over twelve weeks then so hopefully we can hear the heartbeat. I am starting to feel sooooo much better. My main symptom was tiredness and that is slowly fading away, although i'm pretty worn out today since DS was up literally all night. Bed and nap time is becoming a nightmare and it's is causing a lot of stress

My exciting news is that DH's cousin is also pregnant. Our first kiddos are only 3 weeks and 1 day apart and now we are due only 4.5 weeks apart with our second ones. So exciting! Also, it's coming really close to the time that we share the news of this pregnancy with our friends and family. I'm very excited for that! Thanks for reading!

#14 ·
I've scheduled my nuchal translucency screen and have my first appt with my ob (doing dual care until 20 weeks). Have a midwives appt later in April. My ob will listen for the hb next week.

Tried listening for the hb yesterday- I *think* I found it- it was measuring 125 which is in the range for normal fetal hb. It took awhile and I may try again in a few days. I tried mainly because I've had a really bad headcold and gotten a bit nervous.

I'm getting excited that the end of the first trimester is almost here.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
Over all I was very pleased with the midwife. My husband went with me and he left and was really impressed with her. Thats impressive to me since he wasnt sure about homebirth at first. She knows what she is talking about and explained everything from now til after the birth and what she will do. I feel so much better about it all!
mrscompgeek - Glad you found a mw you and your DH both like and feel comfortable with! Hope you get to hear the HB next week. It's such a cool sound!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithK View Post
I went for my 12 week appointment today. Got to hear the heartbeat. It took a long time and I was starting to get sad, but she found it and it was awesome. She said everything was going well with the baby, but she was concerned that I may have a short cervix. So, I have to go for an ultrasound on Friday to have it measured. If it's measuring short, they will do a cerclage. I'm kind of scared and still doing research on that. But, was so happy that the baby is doing well that it is helping to keep me a bit upbeat.
Meredith -
: Yay for hearing the HB! It seems like the cerclage usually has a good outcome, and you caught it in plenty of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
gumby - I somehow picked up this baby's HB on my doppler at 7w1d, and then for a few weeks I couldn't find it again. Yesterday, 9w6d, I finally heard it after hunting around quite a bit. When you consider that the baby is about as long as the first joint of your thumb, and then think about how big a heart would be in a baby that size, it's not so scary when you can't find a HB. Things really have to be positioned just right to have a chance to pick it up. Hopefully your experienced OB will know exactly where to look.
: that you get to hear it!

AFM, I have been practically symptomless for an entire week. The constant hunger has disappeared, so I'm not eating everything in sight anymore. I'm just starting to feel like my uterus is getting heavy. I can feel it when I stand up or sit down quickly. I'm also being bothered a little by my sciatic nerve on my left side, especially if I have been lying on my back. I had this a little with DH, but I'm positive it didn't start this early. Trying to do some stretches to keep it from getting pinched. Today I vow to get serious about my exercise routine. I'm feeling fine, and I'm confident that the baby is firmly settled in there, so I have no more excuses!

#16 ·
Yay for those feeling flips and heartbeats and having first midwife appts!

Norasmomma - are you 13 wks or so? I'm so envious of you already feeling so much movement!

Meredith - I hope you don't have to have the cerclage. I can understand anxiety over having to possibly do that! I wouldn't want any extra procedure if it wasn't absolutely necessary either.

AFM - I have an awesome midwife where I'm living right now, but I am moving in a few months, so I have been anxious about whether I'd be able to find a great midwife where I'm moving to. Well, this weekend I had a two hour phone interview with the only midwife that is willing to travel to where I will be living (or the only one I could track down, anyway). I was worried she would be too interventionist, hovering, etc before talking with her (I was worrying about the worst case scenario), and I was mourning the fact I wouldn't have my current midwife. However, after talking with her, right away I knew she was awesome and just what I was looking for! She said she is very willing to sit in the other room or coffee shop unless I need her. She even said she has had clients ask if they could have unassisteds with her in the other room - and she is totally cool with that! I am just overjoyed!
:
: I know it's not really unassisted - but the fact that she looks at unassisteds so positively is awesome. We really connected over the two hours of talking, and I think I will definately be comfortable with her.

#17 ·
I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow. Finally starting to feel somewhat human again. I haven't thrown up, just that high-level constant nausea that's lead to about a 10 pound weight loss (why can I only loose weight while pg???) And not as dead tired as I was.

I have surgery scheduled for April 9th for my cerclage. Not particularly looking forward to that. My lovenox shots continue to be a pain, but the dose has stayed the same, so my blood levels are good.

My major worry is my uterus is very retroflexed. Instead of going up through my pubic bones like it should, it is completely folded over on itself and tucked back. The perinatologist was a little concerned a few weeks ago that it wasn't moving up at all yet, so the risk of miscarriage is still there if it doesn't come up. I've been trying to lie on my tummy with a circle of pillows relieving pressure on my tummy, with my butt high in the air - quite a sight!!!

I do love being pg, or at least what being pg means, but lately I've been thinking that I'd love it if I could go to sleep and wake up in like July or August!!

#18 ·
Yeah I'm 13 weeks tomorrow my baby is just been going crazy, yesterday afternoon especially. Flippy-flips over and over.

I am just so glad I feel so great
. I was really worried I was doomed for a total crap pregnancy, but all the weird stuff is just vanished. Thank goodness.

Now if we could get my 2.5 y/o to STTN again that would be heaven.

#19 ·
Hi Ladies! I am glad to hear that some of you are feeling better. I am 12 weeks today, and my sickness is still up and down from one day to the next. This past weekend was awful, but yesterday I felt pretty good and wanted nothing more than a juicy hamburger for dinner, which my DH made, and I made homemade french fries. Yum! I am starting to enjoy eating more. In fact, I am having major sweet cravings and all the Easter candy is delicious. I think this is the first year I didn't give up anything for Lent (since I didn't like eating anything or doing anything anyway), but when I eat so much candy before Easter I feel a little guilty
. It hasn't stopped me though!

I heard the heartbeat last week, which was great since we had tried at just after 9 weeks and couldn't get it. I really need the 2nd trimester to be magical for me. I am so ready to feel normal again...all the time. Any day now...

#20 ·
Saw my OB today for the first time. I LOVE her!! She is so funny and down to earth. After doing a pelvic exam, she told me that my pelvis is very narrow in the opening and is probably why ds1 wasn't able to come down and we ended up in a c-section. She thinks it's very likely that I will end up in another c-section because my first baby was 8lbs 8oz and was born at 38 weeks. Unless of course this baby comes earlier and is smaller. To be honest, I am ok with the thought. I just want the baby to be healthy and whichever way that has to happen is ok with me. She also wasn't able to find the heartbeat and had me get an US before I left. The heart rate was 167, which makes me think now that I might be having a girl????

All of this intervention I have had to have to get pg and then the way I ended up in a c-section with Andrew, has made me really appreciate modern technology. I often think about when my mom was pg with me and the lack of supports that were available to couples who were dealing with infertility. If it was me and my problems ttc in the 70's, I never would have been able to conceive and could have had serious problems during the birth. It does give me hope for couples ttc twenty or thirty years from now.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by firewoman View Post

Mrscompgeek-Hooray for hearing the heartbeat. Those little suckers can be hard to find. The babes like to hide behind mommy's heartbeat! Glad you had a great appointment.
We DIDNT get to hear the heartbeat. She tried but couldnt find it. She said it was still early as I was only 11 weeks. I go back this coming monday at almost 12 weeks to try again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post
Anyway, we tried and it was so clear!!! My DD was there, holding my hand the whole time (she's only 2). She said "baby says woosh woosh woosh". It was heartbreaking! I was so excited that I forgot to ask how fast it was beating.

Wow good for you! Hearing babies heartbeat so early! I cant wait!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post

Baby is going crazy today-been doing backflips galore. Also crazy news has found us, our friend of forever just announced he and his girlfriend are having a baby, pretty much exactly 2 weeks after I am due. He is a bit freaked, but I saw him today on their way to the doc. We are 100% supportive of him and will help in whatever way we can. He is slightly overwhelmed, she is not as bad she already has 2 children, so it isn't as crazy for her. It was a tiny bit of a shocker for us, but nothing too out of this world. Weirdest thing was we had just been talking about his finding a girlfriend and how he could make a really good dad, and now he's gonna be at the same time as we are having a baby-in a way too cool.
Aw I cant wait to feel baby kicking and moving around. This is my first so do you think it will be later before I can feel it or is it earlier since I am first time mom? Anyone know if that makes a difference on when you start to feel baby or is it just depend on how active the baby is?

#22 ·
Hello, everybody!

I am 10 weeks and definitely feeling some morning sickness. And evening sickness. But before it was mostly just nausea, and now I actually throw up more. This is my first pregnancy and my biggest problem now is that I have no idea what is normal or not! Or what to ask my doctor. It sounds like lots of people are hearing heartbeats...I am supposed to go to the doctor next week, should I expect them to try? Last time I went they just took a lot of blood and I got a pelvic exam. I want to tell our parents at Easter and I would feel better if I had heard a heartbeat before then. Can anybody recommend a good pregnancy book that won't scare the crap out of me. Google is definitely not the way to go.

#23 ·
I broke down and bought 2 pair of maternity pants yesterday, and they feel sooooo good. I was very pleased to find out that Motherhood now carries petite sizes, so I could buy regular pants and don't have to hem them. My last two pregnancies I was too lazy to hem the pants so I just bought capri pants. To this day I hate capri pants and I am so glad I don't have to wear them this time around! And, I got them just in time for a big snow storm that rolled in today.
:

I am having some cold-like symptoms today and the phlegm part is really gross. After my bowl of cereal this morning I had some phlegm go down the back of my throat and make me gag. Well, there went the cereal! I hope that doesn't continue...

mrscompgeek: I'm sure you'll hear the heartbeat soon. We couldn't hear it this time until almost 12 weeks.

kathleen_mary: I think they will probably try to hear the heartbeat at your next visit, but don't be alarmed if you don't hear it yet. It's different with every pregnancy and every woman. I think the Dr. Sears Pregnancy Book is a pretty good one, and not your typical "worst case scenario" guide like the majority of them. I hated "What to Expect When You're Expecting" because it talked about all these things that could go wrong that I had never even heard of, which is just a waste of time, IMO.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
Aw I cant wait to feel baby kicking and moving around. This is my first so do you think it will be later before I can feel it or is it earlier since I am first time mom? Anyone know if that makes a difference on when you start to feel baby or is it just depend on how active the baby is?
It seems like this varies widely. I felt my son's first kick at 16w, and by the end of the week he was bouncing around hard enough for me to feel it with my hand. He has always been super active, too. But lots of things can affect feeling movement. The mother's weight is one, the position of the placenta is another, and the baby's activity level is also a factor. I have a friend who said she only felt her daughter move a couple of times in her entire pregnancy, which sort of blows my mind since my son never stopped writhing around in-utero.

#25 ·
I'm checking in, mid-week, a little slow this week.
I'm scared to say it outloud for fear of jinxing myself but I'm starting to feel better. The m/s seems to have slowed down a bit. It's not totally gone, but I feel a lot more functional and I honestly cannot remember the last time I threw up (I think it was Friday or Saturday but normally, it's every day) So, I'm eating a bit more now and actually enjoying playing with my kiddos again!
:

I saw our mw last Thursday and got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. It sounded great, in the 160s and sounded a lot like a train to me this time. not sure why, just did. MW joked that this baby is a show off - she asked it to swim over to her as she put the doppler on and it didn't at first and then she found it and boy when she found it, it seemed really loud to her and like the baby was shouting "I'm over here!" I also got to meet the new student midwife and I really liked her which is great.

I bought a BellaBand this week so I can try to fit into clothes. Everything is strange right now, I can't wait for that baby bump to be bigger and more obvious. Doesn't everyone feel that way though?

#26 ·
Well I have crossed the line of aversions to STARVING all. the. time. I look obviously pregnant and I am feeling sleepy today. Still feeling good though, I was going to take a nap, but that's not happening.

mrscompgeek-I felt my DD at 15.5 weeks, this baby more like 12.5, I think that this baby is pretty active though, which I am a tad bit worried about considering I have a very active toddler also. Two active crazy kids, wow can I handle it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.