Birthing Beads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a post about birthing beads here the other night. I can't remember the full context of it, but each lady in the DDC contributed a bead. The beads were sent to the lady putting it all together. Once all of the beads were in, this lady compiled them and gave one of each to each lady within the DDC. (I'm sorry my explanation is so foggy; pregnancy REALLY plays with the way I can explain things, especially when I don't remember the full context of it.) But I thought this might be an idea for this DDC. This is the first DDC I have ever been a part of and the friendships I'm gaining here are just as valuable to me as my real life friendships, maybe even more so. The ladies here have helped me through so much with my emotional meltdowns and paranoia with this pregnancy. Without you girls, I don't know what I would've done! I probably would've went crazy already.

I'm fully on board for this idea (obviously). It would be my "support system" from the DDC while in preperation, during, and recovering from my upcoming c-section. And, it would also be a continuous, symbolic reminder of the friendships and bonds we have and will develop through our pregnancies.

Sooooo, what does everyone think?

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#2 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 01:34 AM

i'm in! birth beads were my fave part of my DDC last time--it really made each other seem "real"--yk? what happens is, we get a list of everyone who wants to participate--maybe there will be 27 ppl in all. so each of us participating would buy 27 identical beads, send them off to the coordinating mama--who would re-sort them into 27 piles with 1 of each mama's beads in them.....am i making sense at all?? : we each picked a type of bead that meant something special to us, or that we wanted to symbolize as good birth/baby energy. I picked fluorite beads for the gemstone properties, other mamas picked butterflies, or blue glass, or rose quartz--whatever moved them, yk?

well anyway. i made a necklace out of mine last time, and wore it the whole last month of pregnancy and during labor : it was awesome!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#3 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
i'm in! birth beads were my fave part of my DDC last time--it really made each other seem "real"--yk? what happens is, we get a list of everyone who wants to participate--maybe there will be 27 ppl in all. so each of us participating would buy 27 identical beads, send them off to the coordinating mama--who would re-sort them into 27 piles with 1 of each mama's beads in them.....am i making sense at all?? : we each picked a type of bead that meant something special to us, or that we wanted to symbolize as good birth/baby energy. I picked fluorite beads for the gemstone properties, other mamas picked butterflies, or blue glass, or rose quartz--whatever moved them, yk?

well anyway. i made a necklace out of mine last time, and wore it the whole last month of pregnancy and during labor : it was awesome!
You said it so much better than I could've! I love the necklace you put together. Me, I'm not that artistic. : Never have been, either. But I really like this idea. Hopefully other mamas will be on board for this idea.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#4 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 AM

I think this is a beautiful fantastic idea, and I am in!!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#5 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 AM

I AM SO IN!!!!

Last time I noticed people doing it, but I only found out about Mothering when I was about 6 months...and everyone had already organized it...oh well. This time, I really would like to be apart of the birthing bead exchange! I am very into healing stones and energy....I would love nothing more than a piece of good energy from all you ladies. And how wonderful to be able to pass along good birthing energy to others!!

Let's do this thing!!!

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
#6 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM

I'll participate

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#7 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM

So what do we do, each make a bracelet or something for another mama? I would love to do this, it would be a great support to hold onto it while in labor!

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#8 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 01:08 PM

what a sweet idea! count me in too...

:
#9 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 01:43 PM

I love this idea.

Count me in.
#10 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I never joined in on this in my past ddcs. But this time I'd really like to be involved. So count me in!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#11 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM

I would be interested

I just read about this on the Nov board and came to check ours to see if anyone was doing it. I'm still kind of struggling with getting excited about this baby and I'm so busy with my 4 other kids that I don't have any time to really think about it. I thought this might help get things started.

And
#12 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please keep in mind that, in keeping with the DDC Guidelines and MDC policies, this would either need to be organized in the Swaps forum or off the boards.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#13 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Please keep in mind that, in keeping with the DDC Guidelines and MDC policies, this would either need to be organized in the Swaps forum or off the boards.
I think the Nov board created a yahoo group. Maybe we can do the same.
#14 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 06:13 PM

I would love to be a part of this!
#15 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andel View Post
I think the Nov board created a yahoo group. Maybe we can do the same.
That's definitely an option. You may want to check out what some other DDCs have done; I know some have had problems going offboard and others have done it successfully.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#16 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 PM

I'm going to be coordinating the swap! Please PM me!

Thanks Charlize!

hh2.gif

#17 of 22 Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 AM

I would like to join in! Please keep me posted on how/where this will be organized.

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#18 of 22 Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM

I would like to participate too--Please let me know what to do & I'll do it!
#19 of 22 Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Please pm me if you want to be included.

hh2.gif

#20 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM

I'd like to be in too.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#21 of 22 Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Cool! I think I understand it better now. But as to what types of beads -- I guess that's up to each of us, right?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#22 of 22 Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 PM

I love this idea! I've actually been looking for something to symbolize this pregnancy and to wear during the birth!!!

I love the idea

Rosie Posie Baby *Your Local Natural Baby Store*Cloth Diaper loving, Baby Wearing Mama to my two incredible babies!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page