Homebirth Kit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those momma's planning a homebirth, what are you putting in your "kit." Are you buying a premade one, or just gathering stuff from your house for it? Since I'm travelling to have my "hotelbirth" I am already starting to think of what I will need, stuffed in Rubbermaids, set by the door ready to go.

These are the two kits I've been looking at:

http://www.inhishands.com/html/birthkit.html
http://www.preciousarrows.com/product_p/80002.htm

We have to be ultra prepared, because it is not like we can just run downstairs and make due with something we have in the house. We are also going to bring all our own bedding (giving birth in a bed that I'm not sure when it was last washed is just gross to me!) and change the bed and wash all the surfaces as soon as we get there. Here's hoping my labour doesn't go too fast!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 PM

seems very reasonably priced
my midwife gave me a list of things to pick up (had planned on a homebirth the first time even though it didn't happen, and will again this time

the main things were to have a tarp or waterproof barrier, lots of sheets which we'll buy at the salvation army, as well as lots of towels.

i can't remember what else was on the list but i remember it being straightforward.

and of course having food for ourselves and the prinicipal and secondary midwives.

good luck with the hotel delivery. my midwife has attended several that way when clients live too far away from the backup hospital.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 AM

I would head on over to the homebirth forum. They have a sticky thread I think about all the things you used/didn't use that may be helpful since you won't be at home... which... can I ask why?

hh2.gif

Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I would head on over to the homebirth forum. They have a sticky thread I think about all the things you used/didn't use that may be helpful since you won't be at home... which... can I ask why?
We live in Michigan, on student VISAs. We are Canadian citizens with Canadian health insurance, and plan on returning to Canada once we are done school. Windsor, Ontario is only 40 minutes from our house, and so we are just going to drive there as soon as any signs of labour hit (hopefully they don't hit too hard, or during rush hour). Since we don't have a "home" to have a homebirth it, a hotelbirth seems the next best bet!

We were thinking of borrowing a mini fridge to bring and fill with juices and goodies for labour too. We are going to load up on towels and sheets and rubbermaids to bring it all home in (I'm not sure how subtle it would be dragging bloody sheets and towels to the hotel laundry.)

I guess it depends on what the midwives bring, but do you think it is really necessary to have all the gloves and other surgical stuff in a homebirth kit?

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM

For my preceptor and I it is the responsibility of the clients to provide the disposable stuff for the birth (gloves,gauze,chux,umbilical clamps) the midwives provide all the reusable stuff like medical tools,oxygen etc. My midwife has a special kit at in his hands that the clients order under her name and has everything they need(less hydrogen peroxide-to wash out blood,alchohol,old towels and sheets,shower curtain for waterproofing the birth place). The majority(70%) of our clients birth on the ground on top of a folded comforter covered by shower curtain,sheet then chux with lots of pillows against a wall for support. The beds are often to soft to make 2nd stage go easily as the pelvis sinks into the bed. Beds are good for breach births. Also it is easier for moms to change position quickly (shoulder dystocia,trying to prevent a tear,loosening up a cord around the neck etc.) if mom is on the floor as it is a more solid surface and she can easily have help from dp or the midwives. That is just how we do it : )

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 PM

Thank you for this thread, Ladies. I'm reading and thinking I should prepare a 'what-if' kit because I have fast labors and I'm almost an hour from the hospital. We have a hospital here in this town...if you'd like to call it that. By the time the paramedics get here, baby will be in preschool LOL

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

User Tag List