Gestational Diabetes Test. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
i failed mine today, jen! i'm going to seriously question my dr about it because 1) i NEVER eat that much sugar at once and 2) i'm stuck in bed so there's no way i can do any exercise to counteract the effects of such a sugar load.

cutoff: 139
my #: 153

seriously, i don't really crave anything, but i also haven't gorged on anything either. i don't get why i ALWAYS fail the damn tests when i've never been overweight, i've never had a big baby, i've never had any of the classic symptoms, and my only risk factor is that my gpa had type 2 and had to watch what he ate (he was 65 at diagnosis).

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As bedrest MOST definitely will skew the numbers, I would ask him to take this into account. Because really. You've been on bedrest for a while now.

The good thing is you can maybe do finger sticks for a bit on your regular diet and prove you are OK.

Unfortunately weight doesn't necessarily determine glucose intolerance status. I have no risk factors either, no family history, had a 7 pound baby and I have trouble with these tests.

I hope your doctor cuts you a break.
#62 of 67 Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
My midwife didn't say anything about carbo loading. How many carbs am I supposed to eat and what kind? Would fruit count?
My midwife suggests, when carb loading, to eat really good complex carbs like brown rice and whole grains, but fruit is definitely a carb, too. I'm not sure how many grams of carbs a day would be considered "loading". Maybe someone else will know.

Jen (Boobs4milk) I'm sorry you failed, but I am with Pandme. Being on bedrest so long would certainly put you at a disadvantage. Let us know what you find out from him.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#63 of 67 Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 AM

my mfm said i'm at a double disadvantage because i've been on bedrest so long and i've been eating fewer carbs. i prefer vegetables and non-beef protein sources and save the carbs until last. being on bedrest makes it difficult to eat and i can only eat small amounts. i thought i was helping myself and my baby stay healthy by limiting the carbs and eating the good stuff first, but apparently not.

what pisses me off about this whole thing is that this test is uniform and doesn't allow for any outside factors. it's just like those stupid growth charts they use for kids. we've adopted standards based on POOR eating and living habits and those of us who choose to eat healthy and live healthy pay the price for the gluttony of others.

do you want to know why i had to take the test? my insurance company threw a fit about me not having taken it yet!!! and since they are paying the bills, i have to comply. ridiculous.

so, i'll be carb loading for 3 days and then doing the 3 hr test on monday. yesterday, i got very sick from sugar crash about 3 hrs after the test and then i started having cramping. i swear to the earth mother if this throws me into labor i am going to OWN myself an insurance company.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#64 of 67 Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
my mfm said i'm at a double disadvantage because i've been on bedrest so long and i've been eating fewer carbs. i prefer vegetables and non-beef protein sources and save the carbs until last. being on bedrest makes it difficult to eat and i can only eat small amounts. i thought i was helping myself and my baby stay healthy by limiting the carbs and eating the good stuff first, but apparently not.

what pisses me off about this whole thing is that this test is uniform and doesn't allow for any outside factors. it's just like those stupid growth charts they use for kids. we've adopted standards based on POOR eating and living habits and those of us who choose to eat healthy and live healthy pay the price for the gluttony of others.

do you want to know why i had to take the test? my insurance company threw a fit about me not having taken it yet!!! and since they are paying the bills, i have to comply. ridiculous.

so, i'll be carb loading for 3 days and then doing the 3 hr test on monday. yesterday, i got very sick from sugar crash about 3 hrs after the test and then i started having cramping. i swear to the earth mother if this throws me into labor i am going to OWN myself an insurance company.
My mw told me just what you are saying...eating healthy can put you at a disadvantage for the test : She doesn't do it unless she sees a need or the client wants to. She told me that her vegetarian clients often have higher readings because of their usually healthier diets.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#65 of 67 Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese's Mommy View Post
My mw told me just what you are saying...eating healthy can put you at a disadvantage for the test : She doesn't do it unless she sees a need or the client wants to. She told me that her vegetarian clients often have higher readings because of their usually healthier diets.
I've heard this too and find it absolutely pathetic! I really think they should let all women test with a glucometer on their normal diets for a week or so and that should be the extent of the GD testing. It really is outrageous.
#66 of 67 Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
we've adopted standards based on POOR eating and living habits and those of us who choose to eat healthy and live healthy pay the price for the gluttony of others.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true.
Quote:
i swear to the earth mother if this throws me into labor i am going to OWN myself an insurance company.
Absolutely! I hope it doesn't happen though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
I've heard this too and find it absolutely pathetic! I really think they should let all women test with a glucometer on their normal diets for a week or so and that should be the extent of the GD testing. It really is outrageous.
My midwife just had me test once on my own diet. I have so many allergies that it is the only option for me anyway. I got a 98 yesterday and was thrilled. My last pregnancy it was mid 200's! I was also on steroids too which certainly played a large part in it, but still......it was horrendous. This whole idea of forcing someone to injest crap and see what happens is just absurd.
#67 of 67 Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Ila

"This whole idea of forcing someone to injest crap and see what happens is just absurd."

I really do agree.

And now I got a bill for just under $300 for the diabetic education lesson (after insurance), and I have spent $50 on the strips, $15 on the lancets and $15 on the ketone strips. And they all need replenishment very soon. Luckily I don't test everyday now. And every single test, I have never had it go over the set limit.

I am going to probably cancel my "post-partum" diabetic visit in November. No reason to pay more money hearing things I can learn on the internet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page