Mothering Forum banner

Gestational Diabetes Test.

3K views 66 replies 21 participants last post by  Ila 
#1 ·
so i am almost 27 weeks and just got the call back from the doc's office. my GD test came back elevated. they want me to do the 3 hour test. this happened last time with DD. passed the 3 hours test anyway. do i just say no to it. the GD test made me tired for 2 days. i have been not eating so much sugar this time. i am not craving it. i crave salad, brussel sprouts, etc. and meat. mostly fish. same as DD only with DD i also ate a chocolate bar every day.

anybody have any info or advice for me. i am not really sure what i am asking. i dont want to take the 3 hour b/c the 1 hour made me so tired for 2 days straight. i was tired before i left the docs office. i have an appt on thur to talk to the doc.

anybody have any experience? i do get symptoms of hypoglycemia. i have to eat or i get weak feeling and hot. but havent noticed it too much. mostly b/c i make sure to eat. i moslty go for protein foods when i feel that way too. both my parents have type 2 diabetes since age 53.

just stressing.

#52 ·
I'm not doing the traditional glucola test with my midwives; she sent home the glucometer with me and I did a fasting and post prandial. My fasting was 80 and my postprandial (2 hours after a breakfast of two eggs, milk, and non-sugar cereal) was 91. So those were fine.

My question is, how do I recreate the GTT test? The CNMs who was I seeing before told me I could drink some amount of juice and it would work, but anyone know the specifics? I also know you can use jelly beans, but juice would be a lot easier. And it sounds like there's a range, but most people want it to be under 140-150 after one hour, is that right?

#53 ·
You can recreate the glucola by eating traditional jellybeans. Not the jellybelly kind, but the bigger regular jellybeans that don't taste that great. I ate about 20 of them. Whatever the amount it equated to 50 grams of sugar. You have to finish them all inside of 10 minutes. I'm not sure if they take the blood sample at 1 hour after you eat the jellybeans or if it from when you first start eating them.

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ila View Post
Yes, I went in for a normal appointment and was told I did not need to fast for the test. I had had my normal breakfast (including crusty white bread) and even ate a huge banana in the waiting room.

I am very excited because the mw I saw today did not seem the least concerned about me having GDM. She told me to test every two days. Good, because it costs me $50 for 100 strips, even with insurance.

I am so happy today. If I had had a 137, they would not have sent me for GTT because the cut-off for them is 140.
Oooh, what you ate definitely skewed your one hour numbers! See, all the different rules and everything are such a joke. Some people say do this, others say, don't do this, do that. No one knows what normal is.

Well, I buckled. I'm going to take the 3 hour again. I wasn't going to originally, but I decided if I have a shot at putting away this glucometer I should go for it. I'm doing it Monday. Please, lots of vibes that I just fail one portion (if I fail one portion, except for the fasting, it's a pass this time). I'm not really sure I could do better on it, unless the fact that I bumped my exercise regimen from nothing to 4 miles walking a day in the last month makes a difference.

#56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ila View Post
I wish you all the best on Monday! Hope all four levels are nice and perfect.
I don't think all four will be perfect, but if I only fail the one hour portion (like last time), it's still considered a pass by my midwives at this point. Obviously, I will remain on the diet, but I won't need to test anymore. Technically, I didn't have to be testing at all, but I elected to so I could see WTH was going on!

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
I failed today with a level of 157. Ugh. So do I carbo load for a couple of days first?
That's the official recommendation. I didn't do it, though and I just passed the 3 hour (after taking it a second time). I did hydrate very well.

#60 ·
i failed mine today, jen! i'm going to seriously question my dr about it because 1) i NEVER eat that much sugar at once and 2) i'm stuck in bed so there's no way i can do any exercise to counteract the effects of such a sugar load.

cutoff: 139
my #: 153

seriously, i don't really crave anything, but i also haven't gorged on anything either. i don't get why i ALWAYS fail the damn tests when i've never been overweight, i've never had a big baby, i've never had any of the classic symptoms, and my only risk factor is that my gpa had type 2 and had to watch what he ate (he was 65 at diagnosis).

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
i failed mine today, jen! i'm going to seriously question my dr about it because 1) i NEVER eat that much sugar at once and 2) i'm stuck in bed so there's no way i can do any exercise to counteract the effects of such a sugar load.

cutoff: 139
my #: 153

seriously, i don't really crave anything, but i also haven't gorged on anything either. i don't get why i ALWAYS fail the damn tests when i've never been overweight, i've never had a big baby, i've never had any of the classic symptoms, and my only risk factor is that my gpa had type 2 and had to watch what he ate (he was 65 at diagnosis).

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As bedrest MOST definitely will skew the numbers, I would ask him to take this into account. Because really. You've been on bedrest for a while now.

The good thing is you can maybe do finger sticks for a bit on your regular diet and prove you are OK.

Unfortunately weight doesn't necessarily determine glucose intolerance status. I have no risk factors either, no family history, had a 7 pound baby and I have trouble with these tests.

I hope your doctor cuts you a break.

#62 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
My midwife didn't say anything about carbo loading. How many carbs am I supposed to eat and what kind? Would fruit count?
My midwife suggests, when carb loading, to eat really good complex carbs like brown rice and whole grains, but fruit is definitely a carb, too. I'm not sure how many grams of carbs a day would be considered "loading". Maybe someone else will know.

Jen (Boobs4milk) I'm sorry you failed, but I am with Pandme. Being on bedrest so long would certainly put you at a disadvantage. Let us know what you find out from him.

#63 ·
my mfm said i'm at a double disadvantage because i've been on bedrest so long and i've been eating fewer carbs. i prefer vegetables and non-beef protein sources and save the carbs until last. being on bedrest makes it difficult to eat and i can only eat small amounts. i thought i was helping myself and my baby stay healthy by limiting the carbs and eating the good stuff first, but apparently not.

what pisses me off about this whole thing is that this test is uniform and doesn't allow for any outside factors. it's just like those stupid growth charts they use for kids. we've adopted standards based on POOR eating and living habits and those of us who choose to eat healthy and live healthy pay the price for the gluttony of others.

do you want to know why i had to take the test? my insurance company threw a fit about me not having taken it yet!!! and since they are paying the bills, i have to comply. ridiculous.

so, i'll be carb loading for 3 days and then doing the 3 hr test on monday. yesterday, i got very sick from sugar crash about 3 hrs after the test and then i started having cramping. i swear to the earth mother if this throws me into labor i am going to OWN myself an insurance company.

#64 ·
Quote:

my mfm said i'm at a double disadvantage because i've been on bedrest so long and i've been eating fewer carbs. i prefer vegetables and non-beef protein sources and save the carbs until last. being on bedrest makes it difficult to eat and i can only eat small amounts. i thought i was helping myself and my baby stay healthy by limiting the carbs and eating the good stuff first, but apparently not.

what pisses me off about this whole thing is that this test is uniform and doesn't allow for any outside factors. it's just like those stupid growth charts they use for kids. we've adopted standards based on POOR eating and living habits and those of us who choose to eat healthy and live healthy pay the price for the gluttony of others.

do you want to know why i had to take the test? my insurance company threw a fit about me not having taken it yet!!! and since they are paying the bills, i have to comply. ridiculous.

so, i'll be carb loading for 3 days and then doing the 3 hr test on monday. yesterday, i got very sick from sugar crash about 3 hrs after the test and then i started having cramping. i swear to the earth mother if this throws me into labor i am going to OWN myself an insurance company.
My mw told me just what you are saying...eating healthy can put you at a disadvantage for the test
: She doesn't do it unless she sees a need or the client wants to. She told me that her vegetarian clients often have higher readings because of their usually healthier diets.

#65 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Therese's Mommy View Post
My mw told me just what you are saying...eating healthy can put you at a disadvantage for the test
: She doesn't do it unless she sees a need or the client wants to. She told me that her vegetarian clients often have higher readings because of their usually healthier diets.
I've heard this too and find it absolutely pathetic! I really think they should let all women test with a glucometer on their normal diets for a week or so and that should be the extent of the GD testing. It really is outrageous.

#66 ·
Quote:

we've adopted standards based on POOR eating and living habits and those of us who choose to eat healthy and live healthy pay the price for the gluttony of others.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true.

Quote:

i swear to the earth mother if this throws me into labor i am going to OWN myself an insurance company.
Absolutely! I hope it doesn't happen though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
I've heard this too and find it absolutely pathetic! I really think they should let all women test with a glucometer on their normal diets for a week or so and that should be the extent of the GD testing. It really is outrageous.
My midwife just had me test once on my own diet. I have so many allergies that it is the only option for me anyway. I got a 98 yesterday and was thrilled. My last pregnancy it was mid 200's! I was also on steroids too which certainly played a large part in it, but still......it was horrendous. This whole idea of forcing someone to injest crap and see what happens is just absurd.

#67 ·
"This whole idea of forcing someone to injest crap and see what happens is just absurd."

I really do agree.

And now I got a bill for just under $300 for the diabetic education lesson (after insurance), and I have spent $50 on the strips, $15 on the lancets and $15 on the ketone strips. And they all need replenishment very soon. Luckily I don't test everyday now. And every single test, I have never had it go over the set limit.

I am going to probably cancel my "post-partum" diabetic visit in November. No reason to pay more money hearing things I can learn on the internet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.