Mothering Forum banner

Gestational Diabetes Test.

3K views 66 replies 21 participants last post by  Ila 
#1 ·
so i am almost 27 weeks and just got the call back from the doc's office. my GD test came back elevated. they want me to do the 3 hour test. this happened last time with DD. passed the 3 hours test anyway. do i just say no to it. the GD test made me tired for 2 days. i have been not eating so much sugar this time. i am not craving it. i crave salad, brussel sprouts, etc. and meat. mostly fish. same as DD only with DD i also ate a chocolate bar every day.

anybody have any info or advice for me. i am not really sure what i am asking. i dont want to take the 3 hour b/c the 1 hour made me so tired for 2 days straight. i was tired before i left the docs office. i have an appt on thur to talk to the doc.

anybody have any experience? i do get symptoms of hypoglycemia. i have to eat or i get weak feeling and hot. but havent noticed it too much. mostly b/c i make sure to eat. i moslty go for protein foods when i feel that way too. both my parents have type 2 diabetes since age 53.

just stressing.

#2 ·
Not sure what to tell you. I just got back from my one hour test. What is the rate of false "failure" of this test I wonder? I'll have to see if I can find more info. I don't know what I'll do if I fail the one hour. Maybe ask OB if I can do finger sticks at home for a week instead?

Good luck to you and hopefully someone will have a brilliant answer!!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the2amigos View Post
Not sure what to tell you. I just got back from my one hour test. What is the rate of false "failure" of this test I wonder? I'll have to see if I can find more info. I don't know what I'll do if I fail the one hour. Maybe ask OB if I can do finger sticks at home for a week instead?

Good luck to you and hopefully someone will have a brilliant answer!!
Well the rate of false failure on this test is pretty high, it also is designed that anyone who may be borderline will probably fail the 1 hour.

LionessMom do you know the number of elevation? Mine was 154, my dr's baseline is 140. The problem with this test is the inconsistent numbers. Some offices are 140, some are 130, some even go as low as 120. That's part of the reason this test is bunch of crap. In your case though it may be you need to talk about it and do a self monitoring. I know that for my level I had a 66% chance of it being nothing with the 3 hour GTT. I do not wish that test on anyone, it was pretty flippin awful. I did come back with flying colors. What I did was carb load a bit for the days prior(I read after finding out doing this for 3 days helps your body with the gross drink). I also ate a high protein meal the night of my fast at about 8pm(not that awesome). I drank a TON of water the day of my test before I went in to help dilute the glucola. YUCKY!!!

It depends on your numbers of how likely it is that you will pass the 3 hour. You can just decline, but I am not good at remembering anything, so doing the blood sugar monitor was really not an option for me. It was easier to be tortured for 4 hours, sad but true

#4 ·
I didn't like taking the 3 hour test either. I especially didn't like the sugar high feeling at about an hour. But you know what. That was the only 3 hours I had to myself in months. I was just me and a book in the waiting room. That part was actually kind of nice.

#5 ·
I just got the call today that I failed the one hour. What were your levels? Mine was 155. My ob goes with the 140 cutoff. I have to go in on Monday. I figured I'd just go ahead and do it. I haven't had the best luck with previous pregnancies and this is the first time that I have gotten this far in a pregnancy. I don't want a lot of interventions in labor, but I definitely want to make sure that I am doing what I can to keep this little one safe and healthy. I'm not too worried about passing the 3 hour, since I've only gained about 8 lbs so far and still am not to my pre-preggo weight. I have had a bit of a sweat tooth and haven't been exercising very well in the past few weeks, so I'm wondering if that may have had something to do with it. Anyone know? Any suggestions to pass the 3 hour test?

#6 ·
yk, i didnt ask my level. i guess i should have. she just said they weere elevated. i will call back and ask.

with DD i failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour.

eta: the limit is 140 (seems kinda low)

with DD my 1hr was 155
this time my 1hr was 167

i also failed the 1hr with DS in 94 and passed the 3hr. it looks like a recurring theme.

plus i havent gained as much this time as last time. i have only gained 15lbs at 27 weeks. with dd i had already gained 25 by 27 weeks.

#7 ·
With my first, I passed the 1hr with flying colors. 2 years later I failed it. And I just found out Wednesday that I failed my 3hr as well. I know someone mentioned weight gain... I was 14lbs lighter at the start of this pg compared to last time and at 25 weeks I had only gained 4lbs total. Weight gain has nothing to do with it. (Of course I was overweight to start with and that is a factor)

If you don't take the 3hr, would you be willing to go on the GD diet? For me, that's the only way I could skip the 3hr test.

#8 ·
I have never failed the GD screen. I'm heavy and in my previous two pregnancies they wanted me to take it at 12 weeks and again at 28 weeks. Both times it was in the 70's or 80's. This time the midwife did an A1C at 14 weeks and another test I think it was a mean plasma glucose. Both were fine. I just took the GTT again on Tuesday morning and since my endocrinologist (who sees me for hypothyroidism) was concerned earlier in the pregnancy I began testing my sugar with a glucometer. I took the glucometer with me to the midwife and took my blood sugar before, a half an hour in and the right after she drew my blood at the one hour mark. They asked me to be sure I was very well hydrated and then sent me out for a walk for 20 minutes after I consumed the 50 grams of sugar. When I tested 30 minutes in, my blood glucose was 131, but by the time she drew my blood it had fallen to 87.

I have always walked during and drank lots of water before and during the GTT. If you do take the three hour that would be advice. Don't just sit in the lab reading a book. Get out and walk for a half an hour or 45 miuntes. It really helps your body metabolize the sugar.

#9 ·
You are so right, Firewoman, but some places flat out won't let you walk. Some won't even let you drink water.

I didn't walk nearly enough for the three hour (only to the bathroom, which I visited numerous times as I was QUITE well-hydrated) and failed only the one hour portion. If I take it again (and I just may as I am finding testing with the glucometer far more stressful because it's ALL DAY EVERY DAY) I will walk more. At this point, I have no problems following this diet for the rest of the pregnancy. But testing makes me sick to my stomach with fear. I have had excellent PP numbers, but my fasting number has been a few points off here and there (it was an 86 for the 3 hour, so not remotely a problem) and it ruins my day completely. I am taking it out on everyone around me and it isn't healthy, nor is it fair. I have never been so stressed and miserable in my life.

#10 ·
Seriously? Who eats 50 grams of sugar and then just sits on their butt for an hour? I have had one lab try to not let me walk during my second pregnancy. I was going to walk to my daughter's nearby pediatrician's office to get a form for school filled out. Their reason for not wanting me to walk was that they were afraid I wouldn't be back in time for the blood to be drawn. They can't strap you down and not allow you to walk. There is no protocol that says that waiting for the GTT you can't walk. You should insist.

And not allowing a pregnant women water? That isn't even healthy. I have been under the care of obstetricians, CNM midwives that catch at the hospital and CPM's. Never have I had a lab tell me I couldn't drink water. Ridiculous.

disclaimer-I'm not saying you are ridiculous, I'm saying whoever is not allowing you to walk and drink water is!

As far as the glucometer goes, it actually makes me feel better, but I'm weird and like tests. I love OPK's and HPT's so the glucometer is like the pinnacle of home testing for me. Is it stressful for you because your levels aren't easily controlled?

#11 ·
No, in fact my levels are really easily controlled. Just had a 95 after dinner last night, for instance. Problem is, I am getting to the point where under 120 isn't enough. I like it SO far under 120 if it's a few points higher than I'm expecting (say, 106), I get angry and frustrated. Helllloooo, control freak.

And as for the fasting number, I simply HATE it. I am supposed to be under 95 and most of my numbers but then I'll randomly get, say a 97, or a 99. And I will get furious with frustration. That means a bad mood for the rest of the day and I wish I were kidding about it. I am SO tense all the time about it. This wasn't even a problem number on the GTT. Now it's my only problem number.

For me, it's about being dropped. My mid (med)wives have to follow "protocol" if the numbers are off. Even if it's so slight. They do not have leeway. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that this glucometer can determine my future, especially since, sometimes, I can get a 12 point difference just depending on which finger I use (not all the time, but it's happened more than once).

I just feel with the GTT you are under the microscope for 1 day. With home testing, you are under it EVERY day.

#12 ·
Here is what I suggest for your fasting number. Try going for a walk after dinner and then don't eat again but make sure you are well hydrated. Eat early and keep your carbs down in that last meal of the day. Maybe that will do the trick. I know what you mean about wanting your numbers to stay low! I have gotten numbers as high as 116 after a meal but that is when I eat badly and have a sugary drink. I like trying to control what I eat so that my number stays low.

Good luck with all of this. Since your fasting numbers are just ever so slightly elevated and only sometimes I would think you should be able to get it sorted out. Try not to stress because that just makes matters worse!

#13 ·
I was going to try not doing a snack at all next. I know last night I didn't even WANT to eat and I forced myself and it was stupid because all I did was get indigestion.

Here's what I notice about the fasting number.....first thing in the morning it is usually higher than I want to see. But if I lay around (in bed) for an hour or so, it goes down several points.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post
DDC crashing, but I have also read that if you have a handful of almonds or another protein in the middle of the night, it can help your fasting number.
I did try this and it sometimes worked. Sometimes not. I keep almonds by my bed!

eta: two days ago I ate my dinner, did my walk (I walk every night as it is) and had a handful of almonds at 8:45-9pm. My fasting number was 88. I did it again yesterday (except I added more carbs than recommended to dinner as I was starting to show small amounts of ketones in my pee), did the walk and almonds and today, 89. Interesting. Perhaps I need an earlier snack and no significant carbs before bed.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by firewoman View Post
Awesome Pandme! I'm glad to see you have found something that works.
I hope it's not just a two day fluke! But the almonds thing is what I did before I took the 3 hour and was even on this diet. And my fasting was 86. It wasn't until I started the GD recommendation of 15-30 carbs before bed (I was eating it around 10-10:30) that I started having problems.

#18 ·
2 weeks ago, they diagnosed me with GD. I totally obeyed the rules during the test, sat reading a book and ate and drank nothing, not even water during the 3-hour test.

Funny thing is I never eat desserts or candy or drink soda. I was brought up that way and have never liked sweet stuff. I always cook and eat whole grains and lots of vegetables and protein.

Since I've been testing, not even one test has my glucose over 97. My diet has not changed much (smaller and more frequent meals). My fasting was in the 60s until I started eating a snack before bed (now 70s).

How come I tested so high at the GTT?? (fasting-88, one hour-192, two hour-167, three hour-170). I can't understand it.

I have a follow-up appointment next Monday and will see what theytell me then.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ila View Post
Funny thing is I never eat desserts or candy or drink soda. I was brought up that way and have never liked sweet stuff. I always cook and eat whole grains and lots of vegetables and protein.
THIS. BUT, I have been eating more ice cream (once at night after dinner) in the past month or so. Otherwise, I drink nothing but water all day, consume no sugar, I'm huge on raw and/or fresh vegetables, every bread item in my house is whole grain or high fiber.

I'm 36 & my 1-hour glucose came back 196. I didn't even HAVE ice cream last night.

I find it hard to believe that age is the cause of this level.

#21 ·
From what I understand, it doesn't really matter what you normally eat. Your pancreas just does not produce enough insulin to tolerate glucose in pregnancy. It's nothing you did or didn't do.

Obviously it is MUCH healthier to eat whole grains, veggies, protein, and avoid sugar and simple carbs. But eating that way won't help you pass the test. If you have a problem with sugar, you just do.

I have no risk factors either. I am not diagnosed GD yet (only failed the one hour portion of the 3 hour) but I clearly have a tolerance issue. And it sucks and I hate it.

#22 ·
My midwife was out of town last week for my 28 week appointment so I saw her daughter and another senior midwife. The senior midwife is a nurse and has been a homebirth midwife for 25 years. We talked a lot about diabetes during that appointment because I was there so long since I was taking the GTT. She said that 50% of the American population has the genetic predisposition to develop diabetes. Even without risk factors your cells may just not be sensitive to insulin and that is what causes the problem. She said that both she and her husband have diabetes that is easily controlled, but they still both have it. They eat healthfully and exercise, but still have a problem. Neither had diabetes until after they were 50 years old.

I can see how frustrating it is to be healthy and still not pass the stupid test, but it might help knowing that it is not your fault or anything you did wrong.

#23 ·
wee, in 2 minutes i am leaving for my 3 hour GD test. i am not excited. when i find out the numbers i will post. it takes 3 days b/c my doc office has to send them to the lab.

#24 ·
I choose not to do the GTT or the GCT. I think the fact that they subject pregnant women to it is insane. I have a glucometer and I test my sugars, esp after my son had hypoglycemia at birth even with taking my dr's advice (I was 143 with him). So now I'm very proactive. I eat a diabetic diet and I excersize. This pregnancy my fasting numbers have been high so i'm on insulin at bedtime, but my after meal numbers are completely normal. Those tests just have such high false pos (and false negatives too!) that they just seem like a waste of time and risky... esp if you know you have sugar problems like I do.

Alternatives to the GTT include the A1C test that tests to see how your blood sugars have been for the past three months. There's a new one to (dunno the name of it) that tests the past 3 weeks of sugar. They are far more accurate then the GCT and the GTT in proving one has GDM.

#25 ·
I agree with you Fyrebloom. I have done two A1C's this pregnancy and both were the same number, 5.4. They also translate that into an estimated average glucose which for me was 108. The unfortunate thing is that most doctors WILL not accept the A1C or any other test besides the GTT for diagnosis of GDM. I think it is insane, but since standard protocol calls for GTT, that is what they want to see. In a woman who has the risk factors of being heavy and giving birth to a large baby (10 lbs 2 oz), she is very thorough with my care. I passed the GTT when I was pregnant with the big baby, but I did gain 80 pounds that pregnancy, so maybe I was part of the 10% of false negatives. All of my other pregnancies I also passed the GTT and now this time with all of the other tests, I feel confident that I don't have GDM.

I wonder why doctors are not okay with women doing a post-prandial instead of the GTT. That seems safer, especially when a woman has a known issue with sugar.

#26 ·
ok, the docs office called. they say i have GD.

my numbers for the 3 hour test.

fasting 87
1hr 199 (they want it to be under 180)
2hr 171 (they want it to be under 155)
3hr 126 (should be under 140)

so since it is too high 2 out of 3 that means i have it? doesnt the last result show my body deals with it just fine?

now i am confused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.