external version or c-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to compare the risks. I really wanted a natural childbirth, but at 37 weeks I still have a breech baby (frank breech).

They want to do ECV on Tuesday. I am worried about the risks of it, and the potential for premature labor, rupture of membranes, and emerg c-section if baby's in distress.
But, if I don't have it, I worry about the inevitable c-section and its risks.

We want to wait a little more to see if baby will turn on her own, as we're not ready for a premature birth next week, and we trust she will do what she needs to do.

any advice or experience with waiting til 39 weeks for ECV or risks of ECV compared to c-section?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 06:19 PM

No experience, just wanting to send some love. Everything is going to work out!!!

homeschooling, husband pleasing, mama to 3 boys and another little love on the way!chicken3.gif
Old 09-12-2009, 06:32 PM

What a crummy situation to be in! Honestly, i'm hoping some woman have more positive stories for you in regards to ECV. Everyone I know who has done this has been able to get the baby to flip....only to have the baby end up breech again. The other part is that every woman who I know has also complained about incredibly uncomfortable the procedure was. Then again, I suppose uncomfortable is better than major abdominal surgery. Again, I hope you get some more positive responses or that the baby decides to turn soon so you don't have to think about it anymore! Best of luck!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:55 PM

I have no experience with it at all but if it were me I would try the ECV.

HUGS

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 PM

I'd definitely try the ECV. With a skilled provider, it doesn't have to be violent, or painful. I've seen lovely, successful ones.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM

I'm not sure, but isn't a regular non-emergency c-section better in terms of recovery than an emergency c-section. From what my neighbor was telling me, again hearsay, is that the cut itself isn't as wide since there isn't a rush for the emergency part and the healing is a little quicker because they have the time to take to make sure everything goes right. Rather than rushing through it to save mother and baby. Big hugs to you momma. I hope that the ECV actually sticks and baby doesn't decide to flip back. I hope you find some success stories from some other ladies!!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 PM

*comes out of lurkdom*

At 35 weeks, my babe is still breech, and in a pretty ugly way (incompete breech with her butt in one of my hips, one foot up by my ribs, one down by my cervix.) I'm doing chiropractic and as much positioning/at home tricks as I can while on bedrest, will do acupuncture next week, but if nothing works, I'll be looking at a version.

Which I will *totally* do. Of course, for me, the difference is between a vaginal birth in the FSBC where I had DS and a section, which I am *terrifed* of. I will try anything and everything to avoid a surgical birth for this baby. Of course, my MW's back up OB, who would do it, has a reputation for being very gentle and has a great success rate, which helps my comfort level with the procedure.

GL with the decision!

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM

Turn Baby, Turn!!!

It is scary thinking of the options, but you still have time. 3 of my sister's 4 kids have not turned until after 37 weeks.

I just turned my LO (at 37 weeks) with a great chiropractor doing webster technique and a skilled acupuncturist doing moxa.

I also was taking Pulsatilla like candy (homeopathic.) If he/she hadn't turned by this week I had a midwife lined up to do a version. She claimed she was much more gentle than a OB's version. Go to spinningbabies.com. I did a bit of that. My husband drew the baby head down on my stomach and I did some pretty serious visualization and talking to the baby. We went to Chicago for a weekend and walked and walked and walked!

I would try everything possible before I headed for a C/S. (For me it would have been a 2nd C/S, and I really, really didn't want to go that route.)

Good luck. I'm sending turning baby vibes! :

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 PM

With my first I had an ECV and it was unsuccessful and did not feel very good getting done("skilled" doctors pushing on your tummy hard!)
It felt so unnatural and to be honest my c-section was not a horrible experience for me.
I am sure that everyone is different so you never know!
If you do try I hope its successful!

mom to the awesomest 9 year old little lady. mom to the awesomest mushy baby born oct.16 2009 by successful VBAC. wife to the awesomest dude ever. life is good. at it again and due march 3, 2012!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
I'm not sure, but isn't a regular non-emergency c-section better in terms of recovery than an emergency c-section. From what my neighbor was telling me, again hearsay, is that the cut itself isn't as wide since there isn't a rush for the emergency part and the healing is a little quicker because they have the time to take to make sure everything goes right. Rather than rushing through it to save mother and baby. Big hugs to you momma. I hope that the ECV actually sticks and baby doesn't decide to flip back. I hope you find some success stories from some other ladies!!
My OB has said the same thing and after this baby is born I will be able to attest to this or not. My first c-section was an emergency and it was really painful for awhile after. This time it will be scheduled.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:09 PM

DD2 was a non-emergency c-section. She was breech. I cannot begin to tell you how easy the recovery from the c-section was. I was up walking around within two or three hours of it. It was scheduled beforehand, so we could all relax. I knew to get a good night's sleep the night before and the morning of the c-section I was able to stay awake the whole day with her without being tired. It was just amazing. But the vaginal birth I had with DD1 was extremely traumatic in every way possible.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:15 PM

I would definitely do the external version. The earlier you do it, the more chance for success, so you should really try to get in there soon. I'm so sorry you're going through this, I hope your baby turns

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 PM

I was just in the exact same boat (my baby is flipping back and forth about every 7 days, but has been head down for 2 weeks- Yipee) Chiropractic care and swimming seemed to have been the most effective and watching that I am sitting up straight and doing regular pelvic tilts. I am completely ok with doing a vaginal breech, but my baby would get stuck sideways for days, it was very hard on my back and my pelvis.

One of my midwives is the midwife who hosts www.spinningbabies.com. Read the site and participate in the exercises and you can probably turn your baby on your own.

I ended up going in for an ultra sound earlier this week, and was petrified that I might have placenta previa. Everything turned out as well as it could. Since the baby has been head down I have to wear a maternity belt, very tight, to hold the baby in place or the baby wants to turn again!!

An important thing to remember is many babies turn during labor!! If you are OK with a vaginal breech, you may want to find an experience OB or Midwife that will deliver your baby.

I'm sending you HEAD DOWN positive vibes!!
Kristy
Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM

I'm the opposite of Charlize. I had a traumatic vaginal birth and a scheduled c-section (pre-e and breech/vertex twins) and I'd totally risk the version any day of the week over a section. The recover was so fast (I was out and about at 1-2 weeks pp with the twins) but It was still so much more painful dealing with the surgery aftermath. The time between when my spinal wore off and when the oxycotin kicked in was the most unreal horrible pain of my life, and I had an induction and backlabor with my son! I healed well, but had adhesions which made me feel like I was tearing open for 18 months and they burned as they broke away with this pregnancy. If you haven't already, see a chiro, get moxa done and visit spinning babies. I just had my chiro flip my 35 almost 36 weeker this week and he was head down before I went to bed thursday night. I assume breech birth is not an option where you are delivering? A great study just came out this week saying how fetal outcomes are no better for c-sections when dealing with most breech deliveries. A frank breech is really good and shouldn't be an issue, very low prolapse risk. As long as the Dr doesn't tamper with the baby as their born breech birth is very safe. Lots of luck to you!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 AM

Well I am having a scheduled c/s due to my having an emergency last time resulting in my DD being so far down that a T-incision was required to get her out-my external scar is tiny, the dr even remarked how beautifully I scar at my c/s consult the other day. After 30 hours of labor and an emergency c/s I would still have a vaginal birth if I could. I would try to get the baby to turn, but that said a c/s is not the end of the world(like some would have you believe). It may not be ideal, but it may be the best option.

Honestly I heal reallllyyy quickly-like shockingly quick, I was up and moving 12 hours after surgery, I never really needed more than 1/2 a vicodin/tylenol. I was walking around-not just up, but wanted to go for a walk. IDK I may be a bit of a freak of nature. Now my nephew's wife is a completely different story, she couldn't walk, she was in major pain for weeks, she couldn't pick up her son for nearly 10 days. I also think though that it was partially because of being on bedrest and gaining 80lbs during pregnancy. I kept active and also gain like 30 lbs-this time I feel I may heal better because I've gained even less.

I know for myself it will be different, I mean I won't be laboring for 30 hours and up for 40, I will go in, they will prep me and I'll get all settled in and then have surgery. Not exactly the way it should be, but yk that is life and this is the way it is.

I hope your baby will turn, but like I said a c/s is not the end of the world.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 AM

I have no experience but thought you might want to see this so you would know what a version can look like should you choose to have one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EjwERL1hEw
Old 09-13-2009, 12:54 AM

Not in your ddc, but I just had a c/s for breech after several attempted versions. The risks of ecv are less than the risks of a c/s. You can pm me if you have any specific questions about ecv or c/s or breech or anything.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:23 AM

I wish I had an answer for you. It sounds based on what people are saying that the version might be worth a try.

I'm 36 weeks along and my baby is still breech. I'm going to a chiro every other day now, doing moxibustion as of yesterday, having my DH "sift" me, doing breech tilt positions and trying to spend time on my hands & knees. No luck so far and I'm feeling discouraged, but I still have hope.

My MW knows how to do a vaginal breech delivery, so my main concern right now is just making it to 37 weeks--if I go into labor before then, I will end up in the hospital for PTL and most likely end up with a c-section because none of the OBs there will do a vaginal breech.

In my case, as long as I make it to 37 weeks, I'll probably decline the version when the option is presented. It sounds scary to me. Obviously I desperately want my baby to turn head down, but I prefer a vaginal breech birth to even the possibility of an emergency c-section.

In your case, if you're going to end up with a c-section no matter what if the baby doesn't turn, it seems like it makes more sense to try the version. But could you maybe wait till 38 weeks, to give your baby one more week to try and turn on its own?

I don't know, it's a tough call. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 AM

Hi there, joy, I was just in your boat last week (remember me in Seattle too? ) and was having such a hard time deciding on doing the version or not. I tried EVERYTHING else, repeatedly. At first I decided not to, and that was such a relief, especially when my dh totally supported me in that. And then, maybe because I felt in control of my choice and I had a breech homebirth mw lined up and both she and a good mw friend recommended it, I decided to try a version once and let baby decide if being turned was okay.

The risk of c/s at the procedure really scared the bleep out of me, but my mws reassured me that in 27 years they had only had one person have an adverse reaction - and she was recently from Latin America and had started her pregnancy malnourished, so there were probably other factors involved. Even then, mom and baby were fine after the emergency c/s. They were also very supportive saying baby will decide if being turned is not good for/okay with them and will flip around again if there is a good reason, and they were fine with that and me trusting baby.

So, I did it, and it was very successful - first try. I do believe the other things I tried first - chiro 5 times, acupuncture 3 times, pulsatilla everyday, inversions, swimming - helped provide the best environment for the version to work; I even did chiro and acupuncture and pulstilla in the morning before my version appt. I also made sure to be very well hydrated to make sure there was enough amniotic fluid. It was a bit uncomfortable, but not painful (maybe because I used Hypnobabies, docs were a bit disbelieving that it didn't hurt). Now just hoping it sticks (that was Wednesday).

That said, I know what a hard decision it is, and read a lot of negative version experiences here. I absolutely hated going to the hospital for it (UW Medical), but I also hate hospitals, and no offense to anyone else, but I can't imagine having my baby in one unless there was a dire emergency. If it hadn't been successful, or had been painful, I might have regretted it, but I did want to feel I had tried everything, JIC. As it is, I do recommend it personally, but wouldn't wish it on anyone - just being there for several hours, in the room, in the gown, with the drug that makes your heart race (not too bad, but still), plus the emergency IV (which was the most painful part due to an inexperienced nurse who tried several times, leaving my hand bruised). Not trying to scare you, just want you to know everything - be prepared and have support with you.

And yes, sooner is better, some places won't do it after 37-38 weeks. I did wait til I was full term - 37 weeks - because I was not going to go with a c/s if my water broke (just for fetal distress- very rare).

Only you know what is best for you and your baby. Trust yourself and have your options lined up is the best advice I can give. Best of luck!!!

Wife to my corkdork and loving momma to Rolly (1/07), 2 cats, Speedy the turtle, and little Bel (9/17/09)!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 AM

I would find a practitioner that did vaginal breech births.

Have you been to spinningbabies.com?
Accupuncturist?
Chiro for "webster technique"?

hh2.gif

Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 PM

I hope it's ok that I crash your DDC, my October baby is almost 4!

I had a successful external version at 39 weeks with my daughter. We tried EVERYTHING to get her to turn before making that decision...tilt board, cold packs, Webster, moxabustion, accupuncture, you name it, we did it. We got lots of movement with some but she never quite made the flip. My MW was upfront when we hired her that she wasn't comfortable attending a breech birth, she had no experience with it (she was a relatively new MW).

I know everyone's experiences are different, but mine really wasn't bad, not painful at all. I felt a wee bit stretched right as she went past transverse but nothing I would really call PAIN. The OB I saw was very experienced and very gentle. He was upfront that he wasn't going to force it, just help her along a little, but that if she wasn't going to turn easily, she wasn't going to turn at all. Her heartrate was beautiful throughout and we were in and out of the hospital in less than 2 hours.

I think that if you have the option of a vaginal breech delivery than the risks may not be worth it, but if you are facing a c-section (as I was, my only other option was the Farm, which was just too far away), then the risks of the version are certainly lesser than those of the section.

Ultimately, you need to do your own research and decide which set of risks are acceptable to you. I hope that baby decides to turn on his/her own!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 PM

I had a version at 38 wks and it was completely painless. My m/w did it. It wasn't successful though. Baby flipped a couple days after but did flip head down again in the 39th week and we had a successful vaginal birth.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

User Tag List