smooth move tea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm feeling a little less than regular. I have been trying to pound back the water and I just went for a long walk, which helped some. But I need a little more help.
I read that Smooth Move tea is not recommended during the first trimester, but can't find anything about using it now. I am 37 weeks..so I'm thinking maybe its ok.
What do you all know about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM

I take an herbal laxative with senna and cascara sagrada and have in past pregnancies, too, without any problems. Just start out slow and don't make the tea super strong the first few nights. You can increase strength/amount as needed. With my herbal stuff I start with 1 capsule at bedtime and stay with 1 the second night to see how I do. If I need more I take two the third night. Just increase slowly. Cathardic bowel movements *could* cause contractions so all you want is a little help. Like I said, I haven't had any problems.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM

I would take something gentler like psyllium husks (mix a tablespoon into water or juice once a day)--it's just extra fiber, not a laxative. It's very effective at moving things through without giving you any cramping or diarrhea, and it's safe.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Psyllium husk just plugs me up even more. I think everyone's body is different. I think it also depends on what is causing the constipation. For me, it isn't a lack of fiber it is that the perastalic action of my intestines slows way down duirng pregnancy. This is for maximum absorption of nutrients so it is good, but it can cause some really stubborn constipation.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 09-17-2009, 06:09 PM

DON'T DO IT!!!!

I haven't taken Smooth Move while pregnant, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's VERY strong--I think it has cascara sagrada in it, which can lead to a lot of cramping as it encourages peristalsis. Because you are 37 weeks, that probably wouldn't be bad for you, but from my own experience, it's very uncomfortable.

I would recommend a calcium-magnesium supplement to help things to move. It works as a stool softener, rather than by inducing bowel contractions, etc. I take 2 doses a day of it, and I am as regular as can be, even though I am also taking an iron supplement (although, not at the same time).

Good luck! I wish I had discovered cal/mag long ago! I call it my snake oil because it is so good for so many things. I take it as a liquid supplement that I get at a natural food store. The brand is Bluebonnet.

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 PM
kjs

I would not take it- it could cause contractions as well as dehydration. "Calm" Magnesium Citrate is a powdered magnesium that works great, and also helps with muscle pain, leg cramps and stress. Cascara and senna are irritants that may cause lots of discomfort. Psyllium is only if you are FULLY hydrated, otherwise it will stop things up even more!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinalicious View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!!

I haven't taken Smooth Move while pregnant, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's VERY strong--I think it has cascara sagrada in it, which can lead to a lot of cramping as it encourages peristalsis. Because you are 37 weeks, that probably wouldn't be bad for you, but from my own experience, it's very uncomfortable.

I would recommend a calcium-magnesium supplement to help things to move. It works as a stool softener, rather than by inducing bowel contractions, etc. I take 2 doses a day of it, and I am as regular as can be, even though I am also taking an iron supplement (although, not at the same time).

Good luck! I wish I had discovered cal/mag long ago! I call it my snake oil because it is so good for so many things. I take it as a liquid supplement that I get at a natural food store. The brand is Bluebonnet.
I know you are feeling miserable. I have been there/done that/will be there again, I am sure! And I know you want a quick fix. I have thought about drinking a small amount of Smooth Move also but can't bring myself to do it because of what everyone says. I did start using Cal/Mag for achiness because I was in a wreck prior to being pregnant. And I have found it helps me stay regular, too. If I miss taking it one night, I usually miss my bm the next morning.

I also just read someone talking about raw apple cider vinegar. You put it in water with a little honey and can drink it 3 x's a day. I have read that it tastes good, keeps you regular, and also is plain healthy for you.

Other than that, I try to eat oatmeal... not the quick kind but the kind you have to cook, I drink water with a whole lemon in it (add Stevia for lemonade) because lemons help to empty your colon by breaking things down. You can also do a saltwater flush first thing in the morning that is safe and doesn't cause cramping... it's 2 tsp. sea salt in 1 quart (4 c.)warm water. Don't use tablespoons and continue drinking lots of water throughout the day. If you are pretty hydrated, it will make you hit the bathroom probably 3/4 of the way through the drink. Again, staying hydrated really is the key to everything, though!

Oh, and Papaya enzymes. I take 3 after every meal and it helps break the food down so it passes faster. They are tasty and I don't have any problem chewing them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs View Post
I would not take it- it could cause contractions as well as dehydration. "Calm" Magnesium Citrate is a powdered magnesium that works great, and also helps with muscle pain, leg cramps and stress. Cascara and senna are irritants that may cause lots of discomfort. Psyllium is only if you are FULLY hydrated, otherwise it will stop things up even more!
I also agree with the psyllium. You MUST be VERY hydrated before even taking it in water and then continue to drink lots of water. I get dehydrated very easily so that's why it stops me up. I do the above stuff but not psyllium.

So sorry you feel like this... it really does make one miserable.

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice
I did try drinking just a little bit last night (about a half cup) and it seems to have done the trick without any nasty side affects.
Now I am just going to try to keep a lot of fiber in my diet and drink tons of water. That and walking everyday I think I should be ok.
I almost never get backed up, so this was defintily not something I was expecting.
So thanks again!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma E View Post
Thanks for all the advice
I did try drinking just a little bit last night (about a half cup) and it seems to have done the trick without any nasty side affects.
Now I am just going to try to keep a lot of fiber in my diet and drink tons of water. That and walking everyday I think I should be ok.
I almost never get backed up, so this was defintily not something I was expecting.
So thanks again!
Shhhhhh, but I took 1/4 cup last night, too. I made some for my kids and took a swig...

Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 PM

It isn't unsafe in small amounts! I promise. I talked to a Naturopath aboutit. Just small doses and work up to what you need. It may not be something pregnant women should use before 36 weeks, though, just in case contractions start. I know my SIL is REALLY sensitive to the herbs that I have no problems with so you have to know your body.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoman View Post
It isn't unsafe in small amounts! I promise. I talked to a Naturopath aboutit. Just small doses and work up to what you need. It may not be something pregnant women should use before 36 weeks, though, just in case contractions start. I know my SIL is REALLY sensitive to the herbs that I have no problems with so you have to know your body.
That's exactly what another friend of mine said and she's been using herbs all her life. I haven't. A couple of my kids get stopped up easy and can take a small amount of it and they are okay. But one of my sons is very sensitive to it so I don't give it to him at all. (It's when we eat unhealthy for a couple of days that usually causes it)

Thanks again for this. Even though I try to do the things I listed above, I still have trouble sometimes.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:09 PM

I had the same problem. My midwife recommended Evening Primrose Oil, as long as you are over 34-36 weeks. It helped. She said to start with 4000 mg the first two days, and then reduce it to 2000 mg after that. I'd say the same of the Smooth Move. I got so constipated breastfeeding last time, I wanted to be on top of it before I had the baby, and I'm glad I did, as I wait patiently for that dreaded first poo! Good luck.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 

User Tag List