38 weeks - snoring, puffy hands & face - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-20-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been developing swelling in my hands and face for weeks now. I am also snoring more, snorting alot, and feeling like my throat is closing up at times, especially lying down at night.
My BP is always great - somewhat lowish-, and they check my legs for edema and say it's not bad. my ring size is up 3 sizes, and my eyelids and lips and neck are puffy. and i'm congested most of the time. I feel like my voice is lower in tone and volume.
I don't have any other sy/sx of pre-E.
i guess I just want reassurance that this is common and happens at this stage, and goes away after birth. or if you think I should worry or call the m/w.
#2 of 8 Old 09-20-2009, 03:20 AM

I'm 37 weeks today. Similar stuff is happening to me. I haven't worn my wedding ring in a few weeks. I had to take of the engagement ring 2 months ago. My feet are swollen so I only have a choice of 2 pairs of shoes. They don't go down at night any more. I snore so loud I wake up myself. I drool like crazy. I sometimes wake up snorting on my drool. It's gross. My face is puffy too. This happened with my 1st pregnancy but even worse. It didn't happen to this extent with my 2nd. I'm figuring this is a boy since it's like my 1st pregnancy. My DD was a case all her own.

I'm of course not a DR. I'd ask at your next appointment, but unless you feel differently/more similar to the pre-e symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much. My DR said since my urine and bp were good he wasn't worried about the swelling. Just lay off salt etc. Hope that helps.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#3 of 8 Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 AM

Swelling in hands and feet - check
snorting and snoring - check
drooling at night - check
puffiness basically everywhere - check
down to two pairs of shoes - check

My BP is up somewhat -- I'm usually 100/50 to 110/60, and at my last appt I was 128/78. But the urine test for protein was fine. The MW put me on "partial bedrest" and told me to cut it out with trying to get everything done and being on my feet (or just sitting upright in my desk chair at work) all the time. So I'm now going into work only 1/2 days at most, working the rest from the couch. And I'm not going grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. My parents are helping with that stuff, and I'm going to hire someone to do some extra cleaning. This has helped with the swelling, especially in my legs and feet.

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#4 of 8 Old 09-20-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyakshi View Post
I have been developing swelling in my hands and face for weeks now. I am also snoring more, snorting alot, and feeling like my throat is closing up at times, especially lying down at night.
My BP is always great - somewhat lowish-, and they check my legs for edema and say it's not bad. my ring size is up 3 sizes, and my eyelids and lips and neck are puffy. and i'm congested most of the time. I feel like my voice is lower in tone and volume.
I don't have any other sy/sx of pre-E.
i guess I just want reassurance that this is common and happens at this stage, and goes away after birth. or if you think I should worry or call the m/w.
I hate to think that you might be going to someone who isn't taking you seriously, or is failing to fully pay attention - but you have facial swelling, noted snoring increase, and the choking sensation like your throat is closing up - and they aren't checking you for apnea???

Not that nailing down the apnea would tell you the CAUSE of the swelling and congestion, but at least treating what's happening would get you more rest and keep you breathing.

The swelling and congestion are pressing on your neck a worrisome amount if it's changing your voice. Get thee to an ear-nose-throat dr if you can, or maybe find one that will also recommend & work with a sleep clinic to get you taken care of!
#5 of 8 Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Very common. Swelling is now not a warning sigh for pre E like it used to be. They even pulled it from the OB an midwifery text books because it is so normal. You don't have long to go. How much weight have you gained? I only snore when I get really heavy and having a baby pushing on everything dosen't help either.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#6 of 8 Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM

i am snoring too. but only if i lay a certain way. my ring is tight but i had left it big so i could wear it. i will resize it after the swelling goes down. i am not that swollen, it isnt noticeable to anyone else. but i can see it in the tops of my feet and the tops of my hands. i never snored before with a preg so that was new. oh the joys of being really preg huh? lol

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#7 of 8 Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralshell View Post
Swelling in hands and feet - check
snorting and snoring - check
drooling at night - check
puffiness basically everywhere - check
down to two pairs of shoes - check
ditto. i can add pregnancy rash to this list of fun symptoms.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#8 of 8 Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Everything sounds normal.
I slept sitting up on the couch last night and that worked better. Only a couple more weeks of this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page