Almost 37 weeks, 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first baby so pardon me if this is a really ignorant question...but I was wondering if because my cervix is beginning to dilate and soften *kind of* earlyish, am I more likely to have my baby before my due date? Or at least less likely to be overdue since the ball is already rolling, so to speak? I know it's possible to be dilated and effaced to a certain degree weeks and weeks before labor actually begins, so I'm not really optimistic...but I'll be 37 weeks on Thursday so I'm getting to the point of where it could happen any day so I'm over anxious and excited...

But at the same time, I'm kind of scared to start walking and having more sex and such because it could possibly induce labor.

I need to just be knocked out until my due date.

~Ariana Elaine due October 22, 2009~
#2 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
kjs

I have usually walked around 2 cm dilated for a couple of weeks at least, plus effaced. It still means my babies are born on time- not early. I am at 1 cm now, at 37 weeks, and I am still pretty much planning on labor at 39 1/2 -40 weeks......(Now that i said that, I will have the baby tonite! LOL!).......But I just mean do not worry that you will send yourself into early labor!
#3 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 PM

Sorry, none of it really means anything! Your whole 9th month your body is doing little things to prepare for labor. From the dialation, losing the plug, more cntx, etc. It doesn't give you a time frame unfortuanely.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#4 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 08:45 PM

It means nothing. I'm really happy that my current OB doesn't even mention checking me.

Fifteen years ago, when I was pregnant with my first son, I was checked every week starting at 36 and ending at 42. It hurt! I didn't know any better but remember hearing my stats and the doctors guesses and yeah, it was meaningless.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#5 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 PM

I usually walk around dialated 3 or 4 cm's for weeks before I give birth. Sorry, but it isn't much of an indicator of anything.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 AM

It really doesn't mean much. You could walk around a few cms dialated for weeks

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#7 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 AM

DS1 I was 4cm's for almost a month before I was induced at 41+wks.

DD1 I was 5cms for weeks before her birth (38 wks) and the only reason I think she came early was because I had them strip my membranes.

This one I'm already 4cm and 80% effaced at 37 weeks and I'm sure I'll hang out for several more weeks yet.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell us early or late but if you're already starting to dialate then that's less distance you'll have to travel during labor itself.

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#8 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 AM

It doesn't mean anything. I don't understand the whole concept of being checked, it just seems to mess with peoples heads and potentially introduce infection. Also I've read more than once about doctors doing 'accidental' membrane strips without permission.

I wouldn't worry about it, the baby's not going to fall out - just continue as per normal and bubba will come when it's ready.
#9 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post
It means nothing. I'm really happy that my current OB doesn't even mention checking me.

Fifteen years ago, when I was pregnant with my first son, I was checked every week starting at 36 and ending at 42. It hurt! I didn't know any better but remember hearing my stats and the doctors guesses and yeah, it was meaningless.
ME TOO. My OB this time agrees that it is a waste of time to check. He only does it if Mom really wants to be checked. It does hurt, and I left every week feeling like the baby would never come.

Mama to & +:::
#10 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I figured I was getting ahead of myself.

And yeah, now that I know how long and how much a woman can be dilated/effaced before going into labor, it really doesn't make sense to have the doctor check it at all of my appointments from here on out, especially since it's kinda painful.

~Ariana Elaine due October 22, 2009~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page