anyone not dilated or effaced? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am 8 days away from my due date!
at my ob appt. today i asked her to check my cervix.
nothing.

its long and tight and closed.
she said its a little soft but thats it.
does this mean i will have to wait forever to meet my little lady?
has anyone been told this then gone into labor soon after?

mom to the awesomest 9 year old little lady. mom to the awesomest mushy baby born oct.16 2009 by successful VBAC. wife to the awesomest dude ever. life is good. at it again and due march 3, 2012!

#2 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
kjs

Every body dilates at different rates. I usually walk around at 2-3 cm, and then take FOREVER to get from 4-10 cm, some people are not dilated at ALL, and then dilate to 10cm super fast! There is no hard rule, which is really hard to accept. Do not be discouraged by cervix dilation or lack thereof!! We have to surrender to the unknown, and know our bodies will do the work when they are ready. A lot can happen in a week, or even a day. Also, with multiple babies I think the cervix stays looser in general, with first time babies it starts off tighter. Your baby will be born! As a PP mentioned, you are not even considered late until 42 weeks. It is just the doctors who try to pin our bodies down to a rigid timeline. It is enough to make us crazy!!!
#3 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

thank you.
i needed to hear that!

mom to the awesomest 9 year old little lady. mom to the awesomest mushy baby born oct.16 2009 by successful VBAC. wife to the awesomest dude ever. life is good. at it again and due march 3, 2012!

#4 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 PM

With my first I finally had them check me when I was 5 days over. I was nothing. That night I lost my mucus plug, 5am that morning my water broke and he was born at 3:45 the next morning. So it definitly doesn't mean anything.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#5 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 PM

I'm 36 weeks with #2 and not dilated/effaced at all.

With my first, my OB told me all the way up to my 40-week check that I wasn't dilated and she just knew she'd have to induce me to get my baby out. Ha! I showed her! My water broke the next morning (40+1), and I was holding my son within 12 hours.

Try not to get too discouraged about it. Internal checks don't tell you everything!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#6 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM

I don't think cervix checks necessarily mean anything and haven't gotten any at all and don't plan on getting any unless I need to when I'm in labour.

My cervix was closed the night before my son was born. Everybody is different! Lots of ladies have been at 1 cm (or whatever) for weeks. I think cervix checks can give false hope at times!
#7 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 PM

This is precisely why I won't be having any cervix checks this time. I find that whatever the report it can lead to major discouragement. If you are closed/not effaced then it is discouraging because you feel like the baby will never come. If you are dilated/effaced to some extent and the baby takes a while to appear it is discouraging. I just plan on trusting that baby and my body know what they need to do and I just plan to be ready when they decide it is go time

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#8 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM

I'm glad this thread was created. I felt pretty confident about my body knowing what it was doing and not worrying about any ol' cervix check. But then I was checked today (40 weeks exactly, today's my due date) and I was nothing. I didn't think it would bother me, but somewhere deep down it did feel discouraging. It's good to hear you wise mama's reminding me of the lack of significance in this exam. I like what the PP said simply: the baby will be born. Can't argue with that!
#9 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 PM

I have no clue- I declined all checks until I showed up in labor with DD (and by the time I got there, I was already at 6 cm!!!!). This time I'm doing the same. I know my personality and even though my *head* knows that 3cm (for example) doesn't necessarily mean anything, I know I would get my hopes up! Plus, if I knew I was already 3 cm and then I labored forever and was checked to be 5cm, that would seem discouraging to me, you know?

So anyway

Erika

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#10 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM

I'm not doing any checks this time for that reason. With my last DD, they checked me at my 39 week appointment and nothing was going on with my cervix. It was very discouraging, but I went into labor a few days later anyway.

So yeah, I really don't think it matters a bit!
#11 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 PM

At my 37 week and 2 day appt, I wasn't dilated or effaced at all, but I have always heard what everyone else said... that it doesn't matter because everyone dilates at different rates and that doesn't mean that I couldn't have this baby tomorrow!

Hang in there... I know it's discouraging, but your little one will come out when it's time!
#12 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have a similar story to PPs. When I was pregnant with baby #2 & past my due date, I was checked. Nothing- zero dilation or effacement. I was soooooooo frustrated at the time. That was a Friday afternoon. On Saturday at noon, I was in labor! My son was born at 7pm on Sat. You just never know.

My midwives don't do cervical checks, which I prefer. I check myself & can tell if there's been any obvious changes in there, but haven't felt any yet. I'm 37w4d.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#13 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 11:21 PM

I've been different each time. DD I was dilated at 2 for over two weeks, finally went into labor, and it was still a long one. DS I was checked in the morning, but I was so high and tight the midwife had trouble feeling anything, had a NST which showed contractions. They repeated the cervical check thirty mins after the first, it was dropped and soft. Had him that evening. This time I"m already dialating, but I"m just having sporadic contractions, so who knows what will happen this time.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page