Mothering Forum banner

Feeling absolutely awful

526 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  tayndrewsmama 
#1 ·
This sucks. I really want this little dude to make it to term and I think it might just happen since that's Tuesday. So that's good. However, I have been feeling like I am going to freaking die lately. I still have a cough from being sick. That's been about two and a half weeks now of coughing. I feel like I can't get enough air to breathe anymore and my heart rate won't drop below 92 even immediately upon waking. It's really geeking me out. My nose is alternating between runny and stuffy and that isn't helping any either. Being told "that happens" does not actually make me feel better.

Am I the only one feeling like this?

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds awful!

I really hope the evil bugs leave you alone soon so you can build your strength up for birth

#3 ·
oh jeeze - I had that cold a month ago, and still now I can't sleep because my throat closes up on me and I wake up choking. The congestion remains, I guess from pg hormones, and I'm all puffy which doesn't help. My BP is higher than usual - 138/70, and they finally heard that my heart skips beats all the time (no one ever believed me before).
But basically I still cough (since April) and I've just gotten used to it.
It's one reason why I'm frustrated this baby isn't here yet. I kind of need my body back because I can't breathe, in addition to a multitude of other "normal" yet somewhat debilitating symptoms I've just learned to live with.
I know I may miss her kicking inside me, but it's so hard to be patient to feel normal for once.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
This sucks. I really want this little dude to make it to term and I think it might just happen since that's Tuesday. So that's good. However, I have been feeling like I am going to freaking die lately. I still have a cough from being sick. That's been about two and a half weeks now of coughing. I feel like I can't get enough air to breathe anymore and my heart rate won't drop below 92 even immediately upon waking. It's really geeking me out. My nose is alternating between runny and stuffy and that isn't helping any either. Being told "that happens" does not actually make me feel better.

Am I the only one feeling like this?
Are you taking anything for it?? I highly recommend the liquid Tyelnol both the am and the pm. It doesn't say "multi-symptom" on the bottle so they are safe to take during pregnancy. I say from experience, that they worked the best. Better than Sudafed.

#5 ·
I am not taking anything. The cough is just annoying/nagging type. It's the increased heart rate and not being able to breathe that's freaking me out. It's not congestion in my chest so much as it is just not being able to get the air I feel like I need.

I think he's just packed pretty good back inside of me. My MW thinks he may already be 7.5 to 8 pounds. That's fine if he comes in the next week, but after that.......ouch.
Most people don't believe me when I tell them I due soon. They think I must have a few months to go. I even have increased breathing troubles when I have to poop! Once it's out then I can breathe a little better. Everything is just so very squashed inside. I am/was concerned that my ability to get a deep breath may be from being sick, but the nurse doesn't seem to think that's the major issue. She said hopefully I won't make it to my next appointment on Tuesday.
That's only a good thing if it's 'cause I am actually in labor because I do NOT want to go to the hospital and delivering anytime before Tuesday will result in that.

I have twice woken from a deep sleep in a complete panic with my heart racing, not being able to breathe and feeling like I wanted to rip out of my skin. It was very scary. I have read that the artery that gets compressed when laying on your back runs near/through your liver. I am unsure if that is accurate or not. Due to semi serious back and neck problems, I pretty much have to sleep on my right side. For years now I have had the mystery lump on that side of my abdomen just under my ribs. It has already been as large as a softball in the past. I am wondering if this thing is being shoved into that artery even though I am not laying on my back. Does that sound plausible to anyone?

#6 ·
I can't respond to the parts about the cold, but I can about the heart rate. I have a high heart rate due to a chronic illness (resting is 96 and has been as long as I can remember, 140s are not uncommon and recently it even got to 168 I think). The doctors (OBs and MFM) just tell me not to let it get over 150 much (and it does occasionally with exertion but I just try to minimize it). No one's been very concerned about it, either for my sake or the baby's.

Hope that's a little reassuring and I hope you feel better soon!!

#7 ·
Thank you. I guess it does make me feel a bit better, in my mind.
Maybe the panic I am feeling is coming from the pressure on my lungs instead of the heart rate always being higher.
I'd probably feel better about things if I wasn't alone in the country with the kids all the time.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I am not taking anything. The cough is just annoying/nagging type. It's the increased heart rate and not being able to breathe that's freaking me out. It's not congestion in my chest so much as it is just not being able to get the air I feel like I need.

I think he's just packed pretty good back inside of me. My MW thinks he may already be 7.5 to 8 pounds. That's fine if he comes in the next week, but after that.......ouch.
Most people don't believe me when I tell them I due soon. They think I must have a few months to go. I even have increased breathing troubles when I have to poop! Once it's out then I can breathe a little better. Everything is just so very squashed inside. I am/was concerned that my ability to get a deep breath may be from being sick, but the nurse doesn't seem to think that's the major issue. She said hopefully I won't make it to my next appointment on Tuesday.
That's only a good thing if it's 'cause I am actually in labor because I do NOT want to go to the hospital and delivering anytime before Tuesday will result in that.

I have twice woken from a deep sleep in a complete panic with my heart racing, not being able to breathe and feeling like I wanted to rip out of my skin. It was very scary. I have read that the artery that gets compressed when laying on your back runs near/through your liver. I am unsure if that is accurate or not. Due to semi serious back and neck problems, I pretty much have to sleep on my right side. For years now I have had the mystery lump on that side of my abdomen just under my ribs. It has already been as large as a softball in the past. I am wondering if this thing is being shoved into that artery even though I am not laying on my back. Does that sound plausible to anyone?

MYSTERY LUMPS UNITE!
i have a lump under my ribs on the right side as well and for the beginning of my pregnancy i was so concerned about it but my ob and others said it could just be a lipoma because its superficial and if its bothering me after pregnancy to get it checked again....!?! maybe you have the same?
i guess you can find strength in knowing that youll prob be breathing alot better soon!

im also congested and having issues breathing...honestly im the most uncomfortable ive ever been in my life and its making me sooooo...super overly emotional(not typical of me).
i have visions of needing an oxygen mask during labor and wonder how ill get the strength to push this wee one out!
meeeeh.
***wheres the frustrated smiley!?!***

#10 ·
I also wake up panicked and claustrophobic not being able to breathe, having my throat collapse, and choking in the middle of the night.
I have fears that if I need a c-section, I won't be able to breathe on the table.

my m/w said to take benadryl for the congestion and to help me sleep. It does work, but I just can't do it. It makes my baby really quiet and slow and I WANT LABOR NOW! so I don't want her sedated.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEKLOVE View Post
MYSTERY LUMPS UNITE!
i have a lump under my ribs on the right side as well and for the beginning of my pregnancy i was so concerned about it but my ob and others said it could just be a lipoma because its superficial and if its bothering me after pregnancy to get it checked again....!?! maybe you have the same?
i guess you can find strength in knowing that youll prob be breathing alot better soon!

im also congested and having issues breathing...honestly im the most uncomfortable ive ever been in my life and its making me sooooo...super overly emotional(not typical of me).
i have visions of needing an oxygen mask during labor and wonder how ill get the strength to push this wee one out!
meeeeh.
***wheres the frustrated smiley!?!***
Will this one do?
I have had a flipping million people look at this stupid lump and no answers. CT scans, ultrasounds and even a full out argument with a surgeon about it. Don't even ask. Dh was pissed at the both of us after watching that little scene.
I totally hear you on the oxygen mask thing too!
I guess realistically it should get easier to breathe as he drops lower and lower right? Or at least once he pops out, I hope. It's just very frustrating when you feel like you are being suffocated by your own body and everyone else smiles and says that's normal. I don't remember honestly fearing for my life in my other pregnancies so how is that normal?
I also didn't have this lump until after my last pregnancy either.

joyakshi try not to even think of a c-section and that scenario.
I am sure that they wouldn't let anything happen to you if that had to happen.

#13 ·
Well, for what it's worth, knitting like crazy while wearing out the rocking chair can really take your mind off the crappy feelings enough to get really tired.
I guess I am going to be making a LOT of baby hats now after I finish this pair on longies.

Now....if I could only figure out a way to sleep on all fours without falling over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.