Pooping & Peeing after birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, only with a bunch of pregnant mama's can you talk about this and not feel weird about it. I am terrified of Pooping and peeing after birth. Like that its going to hurt. Any advice from past mama's? What works to help those things? Seriously that scares me more than labor. Im not scared of labor, maybe a little scared of actually pushing but my midwife said the head is so far down my pushing stage wont be long at all. So Im ok with that. Just the after part that scares me now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Peeing was never a problem for me. You wash your area with a squirter thingy, instead of actually wiping, so it's not bad at all. It didn't sting or anything for me. The first poop for me didn't happen until a couple of days after birth with each one, and it wasn't bad either. Just a little scary, I guess, and it was more in my head than anything else. Like I thought it was going to be horrible and painful, but it never was!

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 PM

With my first Peeing was pretty painful but I tore so that is why. With the second and third peeing didn't hurt at all. Pooping was never a problem for me other than being constipated from being on the Iron Supplements they gave me after birth.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 PM

Pee in the shower and it's not so bad. I loathe the first post partum poo - dry to drink as much water as possible and eat as well as you can, but I do find the act of pushing out a poo a bit flash backy. I've had haemmorroids after both my previous births, so maybe it's not so bad if you don't have them!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Neither hurt for me for either birth. I wouldn't be concerned. They gave me a stool softener and I don't think it was even needed.

I may be weird but I enjoy the PP ritual of the giant mesh undies, enormous pad, then a cold pack (TOTALLY feels awesome against your perineum) and some witch hazel pads....then a spritz of some pain relieving spray. Then I hobble off to rest and relax. I tore both deliveries (2nd degree first time, 1st degree this time) and never once have I had any ounce of discomfort relating to going to the bathroom.

I would not worry at all.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:58 PM

I saw this one the main board area, hope you dont mind me crashing in.

Peeing and pooping hurt me a little after birth, I wont lie. Just make sure you use a peri bottle of warm ( not too warm!! lol) water when you go either one, and spray it on there AS you are going, not only afterwards. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids/taking a stool softener, especially right after birth...you wont want to strain too much, cause it will just be a little sore.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 10-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Not in your DDC, but just wanted to offer this...

I had a homebirth in July and did not tear at all - not even a skid. When it came time to push, I focused on slow and steady - really taking my time to work with my breathing. I think this is why I had absolutely no problems going to the bathroom after the birth. I felt an urge to pee about 3 hours after delivery and it was fine - a little uncomfortable because of all the bleeding but it didn't hurt. I pooped the next day and it was fine, also.

Maintain your hydration during labor and eat some light, easy to digest foods right after the birth. You will be fine! Congrats!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 PM

I second the nice mesh undies and witch hazel...also the peri bottle. That said, I really didn't need any of that the second time around, when I had no tearing.

As far as the poop issue goes, it's more mental than physical and once you do it the first time you're ok. I found that a glycerin suppository works wonders to get you going, too, so keep that option in mind.

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 PM

No problems with either as long as I drank plenty. Dilute pee stings less.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I do plan to try to drink during labor. Its on DH's list of things to remind me during labor! Lol. To DRINK!
I also have some fiber bars I bought that I am eating one a day now and will keep eating them after labor so hopefully that will help too.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
For me, there is a world of difference if I tear. With baby #1 I was given a needless episiotomy & OMG everything hurt. Going pee was like having my crotch set on fire every time for days & days. I tore with baby #2 & everything down there hurt for several days as well- going to the bathroom or sitting flat was pretty torturous.

My next 2 babies - no tearing at all & zero pain afterward! It was bizarre for me to realize that I could sit flat on my crotch immed after giving birth! lol I didn't know such a thing was possible! And I was scared to death to go to the bathroom, only to find that it was just as comfortable as ever. I didn't even use the peri bottle or a stool softener. It was all just fine. It's amazing what a difference an intact perineum makes.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Huh. I don't poop.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 PM

Peeing for me was fine...I NEEDED the stool softener for at least a week afterward if not two. Part of the poop issue was mental, but there was some physical discomfort.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 PM

I had trouble going pee after giving birth. Not because it hurt but just letting myself go. I squirted warm water from the peri bottle as if I was peeing and it did help. The first second or two stung but not bad and then it didn't hurt at all.

I didn't have a problem with poop...I just don't push or bare down...take it slow and let it come when ready.

The other thing I'll mention though is that I don't know how your midwife could possibly know how long you'll need to push. Even with carrying low, you just don't know until you're there. So just be open to whatever happens.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 PM

My close friend recommended a mild stool softener, which I took as soon as I got home from the birth (4 hours later). I didn't want to have to even deal with being worried about it, being in pain, anything. So that is what I recommend to people. Peeing wasn't a problem at all, other than sometimes you feel like you can't "feel" if you have to pee or how to let those muscles relax, because they are a bit beat-up from birth. But again, the peri bottle helps with that too!

Erika

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 AM

Neither of these turned out to be a problem for me, but I was a little scared about the pooping. The midwives gave me great advice to roll a bunch of toilet paper around my hand and use that to apply counter-pressure against my perineum as I was pushing it out. The seemed to do the trick nicely!

Definitely use a peri bottle of warm water while you pee, if you've torn. It really helps cut down the stinging. And it feels so fresh. (Can I admit I still use my old one from DS's birth sometimes? Makes me feel cleaner. )

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 AM

I don't know how bad my tears were... probably second or third degree. With my first I had an enormous cyst removed at the same time so i assume that I had a lot of extra stitches from that. I don't know for sure though.

Anyway, peeing was never a problem. Pooping I'm always nervous about, but it never hurts either. I always took a stool softener though, and never pushed hard.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post

The other thing I'll mention though is that I don't know how your midwife could possibly know how long you'll need to push. Even with carrying low, you just don't know until you're there. So just be open to whatever happens.
It actually was my Backup OB dr that told me I wouldnt have long pushing. Because the baby is already at a 0 station and he said most of the time in a first time mom baby doesnt drop that low or engage until they are in labor and thats why first time moms have such long labors so much.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 PM

a nice peri bottle (is it in your birth kit?) filled with warm water or can help with comfort when peeing, (I would have a few peri bottles..one for warm water and maybe one for an herbal infusion you can rinse with after clean to aid healing in tissues if you want)

also...like pp mentioned, a diet rich in whole grains, fruits/veggies, etc. and a stool softener that first few times can help.

Mama to my tribe
Old 10-03-2009, 01:43 PM
kjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
For me, there is a world of difference if I tear. With baby #1 I was given a needless episiotomy & OMG everything hurt. Going pee was like having my crotch set on fire every time for days & days. I tore with baby #2 & everything down there hurt for several days as well- going to the bathroom or sitting flat was pretty torturous.

My next 2 babies - no tearing at all & zero pain afterward! It was bizarre for me to realize that I could sit flat on my crotch immed after giving birth! lol I didn't know such a thing was possible! And I was scared to death to go to the bathroom, only to find that it was just as comfortable as ever. I didn't even use the peri bottle or a stool softener. It was all just fine. It's amazing what a difference an intact perineum makes.
Me too!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM

I tend to have very rapid labors and births...and although my perinium remains intact (maybe a skid mark/1st degree...but nothing major), and I wonder if that has anything to do with it? With my 5th birth, I had an epidural (breech birth) and I labored down..labor was about 12 hours (compared to like..2), and the next day I was AMAZED at how good my perinium felt. I am going to consider that if we have any more children...to really, really try to labor baby down and think GENTLE for pushing/birth.

Mama to my tribe
Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
I didn't have a problem with poop...I just don't push or bare down...take it slow and let it come when ready.
Yeah that. Don't hold the poop in, and don't push the poop out. I had a second degree tear w/ DD and was terrified of my first poop, but I just let it come when it was good and ready, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM

I'd been following this thread because after my first birth I was terrified of pooping after labor, since I had stitches. It was unpleasant but I was relieved when it was over. This time I had a worse tear, but I focused alot more on drinking oodles of water, keeping my fiber intake up and waiting until my body told me it was ready to go. Then I let my body do what it needed to do and it was not scary!

For peeing I used the peri-bottle to help get things going soon after labor and the dilution really helped with any discomfort. I found also turning the faucet on to fill up the peri-bottle helped me have to go. Plus I had drunk so much while in labor and had been unable to pee more than a trickle until the baby was out, so that helped too

User Tag List