Feeling like a clueless newbie! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby shower was Sunday -- it was lovely and we got a number of things we needed for the little guy.
Including a diaper bag. Yay!
So I get home with all the stuff, and then I spend a long moment looking at that bag... and I realize I don't know what goes in there.
Seriously, what on earth goes in the diaper bag?
And then I think... I don't even know what should go in the diaper bag. Surely they will have the sense not to let me leave the hospital with a newborn! I am clueless!
Agh!!!
Am I the only one who feels just clueless about this basic stuff?

So seriously, here's all I can think of. I know there's more.
  • A couple of diapers (maybe keep more in the car, but just one or two in the bag)
  • Plastic bags for holding used cloth diapers
  • Baby wipes
  • A prefold or two for a wipe/ burp cloth/ changing pad cover/ all purpose cloth
  • Changing pad (the bag came with a matching one)
  • Binkies
  • Baby tylenol
  • Breast pads
  • A little nail scissor or clipper
  • A clean baby outfit -- probably just a long sleeved onesie for the inevitable poo disaster

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#2 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 12:51 AM

Awwww. You're so cute with your claims of being clueless! Seriously, you have it pretty much spot on! As long as you have the basics, you'll be fine.

Personally, I never really bothered with the Tylenol or nail clippers (or breast pads -- I never needed those), and would include a full change of outift, but otherwise that is basically what I had in DS's diaper bag. (Now it includes a snack and sippy cup. ) Oh! And a small tube/can/jar of diaper rash cream! I used to carry that too.

You may want to exchange the prefold for a receiving blanket (also multi-purpose, but big enough to wrap baby in if it's cold and/or use as a nursing cover-up) and you should consider investing in a zippered wetbag at some point (so much nicer than plastic bags for dirty diapers). Are you planning to also carry a purse? I don't, so my wallet, cell phone, lip balm and hand sanitizer also go in there, as well as Kleenex and my keys. Then again, we didn't have a car until just last year, so I had to be more prepared when I went out then most people probably.

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#3 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 AM

Funny how we're all different....Breast pads were a MUST in my diaper bags. I had super nonstop flow and have needed them in an emergency out many a time!

I would probably put more than one change of clothes in there, depending on how long you plan on being out/where you're going.

I agree that nail clippers and tylenol could probably be taken out.

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

#4 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 AM

You've pretty much got it.

Personally:
I would have two full changes of clothes plus a wetbag big enough to hold the dirty clothes.
I second the receiving blanket suggestion - if your baby turns out to be a spitter you will need two or three of these and a few bibs.
I would also have a small bottle of hand sanitizer (for after changes and for people who want to hold the baby).
And I would carry three or four diapers b/c I shudder at the thought of being without and have come close.
#5 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Good suggestions on the diaper bag content.

I just wanted to say, that you shouldn't worry about your newbie status -- there's a steep learning curve at the beginning but it won't take you long at all to master all the stuff you and your baby need (which will be a bit different from all of us, anyway). Our babies are our best teachers.

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#6 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Dont feel bad spiral! I asked my mom this exact question the other day! Lol. I too got a diaper bag at my baby shower and was like "mom, this thing is huge, what the heck do I put in it?" I mean I have babysat since I was 12 years old so babies are nothing new to me but when it comes to actually being the one in charge of the little one it puts a whole new spin on things! Lol
So I agree with all the suggestions so far. My diaper bag has some diapers, wet wipes, Diaper rash cream, tylenol & gas drops, Prefold for spit up, nursing pads for me, and once baby comes and I figure out if I need newborn or 0-3 month clothes for her at the moment Ill put some spare clothes in it.
But I dont plan to carry a purse so all my stuff from my purse will end up in the diaper bag eventually too!
#7 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Mamas -- this does make me feel better!!!

The diaper bag conveniently has a flap section with little pockets that is set up really well to be a purse, so I do think I'll combine my purse stuff in there. (I only carry a really small purse already, so it's basically wallet, cell phone, keys, lip balm, and pen now. That should all fit fine!)

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#8 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Another vote for ditching the tylenol and nail clippers (unless they are for you!)

And I agree a blanket is a must - either to keep baby from getting cold or just to drape over to keep people from trying to touch baby.

For longer outings, more than one outfit for baby, and even a clean shirt for yourself. Maybe a drool bib if yours turns out to be a drooler. And extra baby socks until you find some that actually stay on (and the cute little bootie socks NEVER stay on, it's always plain ones that work).
#9 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Don't forget a clean shirt for yourself too!!! Sometimes those babies of ours can really mess up the shirt that we are wearing too! But you have it pretty much all done. Good job. I don't have my diaper bag set up as a diaper bag right now. I have it set up as a bag for baby in the hospital. Enough outfits for when she's there, blankets, a cuddly, socks, lansinoh, stuff like that that I might need for when I'm in the hospital for baby. I also have a 3rd bag packed but it's cloth diapers and the wet bag for daddy to bring home to wash and bring back to me the next morning. I HATE being stuck in the hospital thinking that I should have brought this or that. Especially stuff to do and read!! They don't have a good selection of cable channels from what I remember. LOL. I wish they had wireless internet in there!!!!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#10 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

I read your post and thought, "uhhh what DO you put in a baby's diaper bag?!?" LOL My 2.5 year olds needs are so different than when he was a wee one. Now I've got random snacks, cars, a book, diapers, whatever he's snuck in there...

But, what I pretty much always had when he was new -
Diapers
wipes
wetbag
at least 2 onesies
a pair of babylegs/huggalugs
recieving blanket
maya wrap
and my wallet/keys/cell

And you'll always have random stuff you don't need, and not have the one thing you DO need. It's not being a newbie, it's being a mom of these unpredictable, completely crazy, absolutely wonderful little critters!

~heather

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
#11 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM

I was just going to say a spare shirt for yourself, too! No one told me that *I* would be the one that needed changing more frequently than the baby! Whenever she would spit up, it wouldn't get on her, it would get on me! So this time around I'll know better

Best of luck!

Erika

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#12 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
An extra shirt for yourself and a few more outfits for the baby. An extra receiving blanket is good too.
Also a bag to put the dirty stuff in.

When I took my dd to her first dr's appt, I forgot to bring a diaper bag at all. She needed to be changed and I had nothing. Thankfully the dr's office had an extra diaper for her.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#13 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
kjs

A couple changes of clothes and many diapers-4 or 5, at least when they are little.
#14 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM

For me must haves would be breast pads-I have so much milk, clothes for baby, a couple of shirts for myself, diapers, wipes, sling-that's about it.

Later is when you need the Tylenol-when they are teething. You'll need it for both of you. We never left the house w/out ibuprofen for DD, it was a must have with teething.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#15 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM

I know I usually keep a small toy in my bag, but I honestly can't remember when I started. I don't think a tiny newborn would need it. I always kept Tylenol in a small plastic bag, if I felt like carrying it at all, because it always seemed to leak if I didn't.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#16 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Definitely a clean shirt for yourself! At a friend's bbq my DD had a newborn poop explosion all over me! Also, maybe 1 more outfit change for baby, and more than 2 diapers in the bag. Babies have a funny way of peeing or pooping JUST as you're strapping them into the new diaper

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#17 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 AM

I would add a protein bar or other non-perishable snack for starving nursing mommy emergencies and a small bottle of water.

I would use salve instead of diaper rash cream and Hylands teething tablets instead of tylenol for when teething starts.

Ditto on the extra clothes and socks, might keep an extra hat too.

And I love my wool zippered wet bag.

Happy outings!! (But stay at home as long as possible at first!)
#18 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 PM

You basically got it. Not too much is needed unless you go out for an extended period of time.

Now do you know how to give a sponge bath That was what tripped me up in the hospital with my first LOL!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#19 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM
pjs

Definitely keep a protein bar and a bottle of water in there too.
#20 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM

i'll tell you what's in mine...

5 diapers
wipes
carmex (for me)
water bottle
lanolin breast cream ( doubles as a rash cream)
breast pads
mama pads
2 outfits
burp cloth
extra receiving blanket
cell
wallet
keys
snack
wet bag

i usually have a bag for me stowed away in the car with exta clothes. i also have a thermal bag for bottles and a frozen gel pack...i'll be so glad to ditch those!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page