Jonah Phoenix is here!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jonah Phoenix entered the world, at home and in water as planned, on October 7th at 5:41pm! He weighed 8 lbs., 6 oz. and was 20 and 3/4 inches long. Born at 40w1d.

The birth story: I had been having cramping on and off for a week or more, but the pains that woke me at 4am the morning of Jonah's birthday were very obviously contractions; I remembered the feeling once they started. Different from the cramping in that they have definite beginnings and endings that grab your attention. They came steadily every six or seven minutes for three hours, but kind of stopped once I got up for the day and started to really time them. Naturally. But they kept coming and going, so I was pretty sure I'd be meeting my little one soon.

In the afternoon, I sent my mom and DS out to the store to pick up some snacks and stuff for birth attendants while I did some dishes and put together a shepherds pie. By the time that was done, near 3pm, contractions were regular and getting intense. I helped my husband fill the birth pool and made the bed up to get ready, then paged my midwife at 3:30 or so. We had been timing the contractions (my praises to contractionmaster.com -- awesome idea!) and they were now five or six minutes apart and getting closer. The midwife called me back with the bad news that she was on her way to attend another birth (first come, first served, and as it turned out there were FIVE babies born to the practice last night!) but would have someone call me. About twenty minutes later, I was contacted by a midwife I hadn't even met. She asked some questions and decided that she better come over. I agreed, as contractions were now about three minutes apart!

I got into the pool after that, at around 4pm, and it was immediately the best idea ever. It felt so good and helped me get through the first while much easier. But contractions quickly got even more intense and close together. By 5pm, they were about a minute apart and I was definitely having to vocalize through them. I tried to remember Ina May's suggestions of low moaning like a cow and blowing out my lips like a horse when exhaling to keep things loose and help open me up. It seemed to work all too well because I started to feel the urge to push quickly and the midwife hadn't arrived yet (she was stuck in rush hour traffic)!

Thankfully, she got there by 5:20pm, and immediately knew she had to rush. She had time to check baby's heartrate once and check me once before everything happened. I was terrified she was going to tell me I wasn't dilated enough yet, but thankfully there was only a tiny bit of cervix left that she pushed back over the baby's head and she gave me the greenlight. And push I did! I tried hard to do it easily and slowly, but my body was pushing with all it's might. And ten short minutes later, he was here! (So much nicer than the hour of not being able to push followed by another hour of pushing with DS#1.) She literally made it just in time.

The placenta came easily about nine minutes after that. And then we got out and moved to the bed. Jonah needed no suctioning or anything else. Apgar score of 9. And I had some tiny tears but nothing that required stitches, unlike my first birth. Yay! Jonah latched onto the breast quickly and seemed to know just what to do. He's beautiful and perfect! The midwife stayed for a couple of hours to finish her paperwork and check-ups on both of us, and make sure all was well, then we tucked into bed with DS#1 to share our first night as a family of four. The end.

Oh, and he was born "in the caul", waters still intact, which I'm told is rare and very good luck.

A couple of pictures:
#1 - Moments after birth in the pool
#2 - Close-up of his face
#3 - Bright-eyed this afternoon

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#2 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Congrats!!!

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
#3 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Fantabulous! He looks very alert, too. Love the pics. Happy Bbmoon!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#4 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM

He's so sweet! And I LOVE his name!! Your birth sounds similar to mine--the midwives made it just in time! Congratulations!
#5 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 PM

congratulations and enjoy your new baby!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#6 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Congratulations!

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#7 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 PM

congratulations!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 03:00 AM

Congratulations, you have such a beautiful birth story!!!

Rosie Posie Baby *Your Local Natural Baby Store*Cloth Diaper loving, Baby Wearing Mama to my two incredible babies!!
#9 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 06:33 AM

Congrats!!!! What a cutie!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#10 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM

What a perfect birth, how do I order up one of those?
#11 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
pjs

Congrats! He's darling! You didn't happen to get any pics of him in the caul did you? I'd love to see that!
#12 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Oh, he's adorable! Congratulations!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#13 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanl1202 View Post
What a perfect birth, how do I order up one of those?
Put me on the list for one of those, too!

Congratulations on the arrival of Jonah Phoenix! What a wonderful birth story, and a beautiful baby!!

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
#14 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Welcome Earthside Jonah!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#15 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Congratulations! wonderful story and great pics.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#16 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody! Yes, it certainly was a wonderful birth. If only we all COULD order it up like that! I was very lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Congrats! He's darling! You didn't happen to get any pics of him in the caul did you? I'd love to see that!
Unfortunately not. It all happened so fast that my husband didn't have time to get the camera until it was all said and done. My friend, a photographer, was going to come and take some pictures during labor and birth, too, but we didn't have a chance to call her until it was too late, either. Oh, well. I wouldn't exchange the quick and easy birth for those photos!

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#17 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Your birth sounds very similar to mine! What a wonderful way to bring a baby into the world. Welcome baby Jonah!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page