Nikolai Alexander is here! UPDATED WITH 2-hour Birth Story! (go to last posts) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so thrilled to announce the birth of our second little boy, Nikolai Alexander.

He was born at 4:43 am on October 12th, after TWO HOURS of labor, from first contraction to coming out. He was due on Thursday 10/15.

It was VERY intense. The midwife came in as he was crowning.
I'll be back with my birth story later this week when I write it.

We are overjoyed and still in a bit of shock!, and feel so very very blessed.
Big brother, Finley, is doing great with his new baby brother.

Nikolai was 7lbs 6 oz and 19 inches long at birth.

Here are pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2405139&ref=mf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Congratulations! I love his name!

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Congratulations! He's adorable--your pictures are great!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Congratulations!!! Your pictures are great!

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 PM

Congratulations!! Those are incredible photos.

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 PM

Wow, short labor! Love the name too, so precious!

Erika

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 PM

How wonderful! Enjoy your sweet one.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 10-14-2009, 12:48 AM

Love the pics!!! Your kids have great names! Congrats on your new son!!! Happy babymoon!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 AM

Congratulations and Fabulous pictures!!!! I especially love the one with someone's hand by his face. What a cutie!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 AM

Wow, two hours!!! That must have been quite a ride.
Congratulations on your son, he's absolutely adorable!

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 AM

What a beautiful family! Congratulations!

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM
pjs

Congrats!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Congratulations!
He's absolutely adorable!!!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
kjs

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!!! MANY BLESSINGS!!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 AM

adorable...congratulations!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Congratulations!

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Your family is so beautiful! Congrats!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Congrats on your new little one! Beautiful pictures too!!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 PM

congrats!!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 PM

Welcome Earthside Nikolai!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM

Congratulations! He is so adorable

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 PM

congrats!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Congratulations! Wow, two hours! Must have been intense!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 PM

Congrats! What a great name...sounds Russian??

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the congrats! It is so fun to share the joy.

Yes, it WAS intense. I am going to post my birth story in the next post.

And organicmom3, it's Polish...DH's heritage is Polish.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

At 2:30, I woke with a new sensation, a different sensation. After several of these, I knew that I might be in labor. I woke up Alexander at 2:50, and we went into the living room to time contractions. In between, we laughed, and during, I breathed and closed my eyes. They were coming two minutes apart, but they were very manageable. We thought we had plenty of time, since they had only just begun. I wanted there to be an established pattern before we called the midwife, so we waited until 3:30 to call her. While Alexander was on the phone with her, my water broke. Things became very intense very quickly.

I made my way to the shower for some relief, and with each contraction, I fell to the floor to breathe and bellow and move my way through it. After 45 minutes in the bathroom, I made my way out to the living room, with Alexander putting his hands on my lower back with each contraction. I was easily officially in “labor land”, taking one contraction at a time. When I look back on this time, it feels quite blurry, and I don’t remember clearly. The sensations were extremely intense and overwhelming. I did what I could to cope, which continued to be to drop to the floor, wiggle my hips, breathe slowly, and bellow (scream) loudly and in a low frequency. I was conscious enough to keep my voice low and my breathing slow. Once or twice I started to let my voice rise and my breathing become shallow, and I knew that would take me down a road of panic and suffering. I grounded myself back in my strength, and was somehow in control of being out of control.

Before I knew it, I felt the baby’s head coming down the birth canal. I told Alexander, “He’s coming!” Through no will or direction of my own, my body was pushing the baby out. It was extremely intense, and so wild to feel so out of control, just on the ride of this labor. After a couple of these pushes, Alexander had to run to get Finley, who was crying from the bedroom, having heard my bellows. He came back in, Finley in one arm, his other hand on my back. Davi walked in, came to my side, asked me to pant through my contraction, and told me I was crowning. I panted through one more contraction, and with the next one, out popped his head! Alexander returned from taking Finley upstairs, in time to see his head, which I could also see, when I looked through my arms and legs. (I was on all fours throughout). My body seemed to be done pushing, so the midwife asked me to push my baby’s body out. I mustered up all my strength, and with one push, out came his body! He was born at 4:43 am. The labor had lasted two hours.

Alexander caught him, and passed him to me. He was pink, perfect, beautiful! (though quiet, he did not cry). He had a full head of hair and a sweet round face.

By the time the midwives left a few hours later, we had all been cleaned off, Nikolai had nursed, I had showered, the midwife and her assistant had served us bacon and eggs, and done some laundry. Finley was happily playing with Eva, and finally met his brother when we did his physical. He weighed 7lbs 6 oz and was 19 inches long.

He is the sweetest little bundle, so full of love. So far, he is very mellow. He makes the cutest noises, and makes the sweetest faces, especially when he’s sleeping. He even laughed out loud in his sleep the other day, and I thought I would melt. We are so, so blessed.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Nikolai Alexander’s Birth Story

On October 11th, 2009, I sat on the couch in my living room, doing a meditation with Alexander. We did a meditation for blessings, for prosperity, focusing on the blessing of our baby, and of the birth to come, a meditation we had done often together during the pregnancy, especially toward the end. As I had felt on many nights before, I felt angels or spirits dancing in celebration around us, in a circle. I felt supported and inspired. And then I heard my son tell me: Okay, mommy, I am ready to come now. It was so clearly his voice, and not my own, rising up to greet me from my womb.

We went to bed around midnight, laughing, talking joyfully of seasons and snow, and wondering when our baby would come, knowing I could easily be pregnant for another week or two.

At 2:30, I awoke with a new sensation. It was very small, but pinching, very low, definitely different. I got up to use the restroom, and had another pinch. I lay in bed, and another one came, a bit more intense than the ones before. My heart skipped a beat, as I recognized that this very different sensation could be the start of labor. And it felt like the shift in contractions that I had when I started labor with Finley. I got up and moved a few things around, put the jack o lantern out on the porch, stopping to breathe through the waves.

At 2:50, I woke up Alexander, calmly, but happily: “Sweetheart, I think this is it. I think I’m in labor. Will you come to the living room with me?” I held his hand, and we got comfortable on the couch, timing my contractions with the contraction timer online. Alexander started the fire, lit candles, put some music on. He made me laugh and laugh, and every two minutes, I paused to breathe through a wave. I closed my eyes and breathed slowly. They were real, but very manageable. After a few minutes, it was clear that this was labor, and we were very excited. But should we call Davi (the midwife) yet? I wanted to have the pattern established for more than a few minutes. We put off calling her until 3:30. The contractions had come consistently every two minutes for half an hour. While Alexander was on the phone with her, I felt a small pop: my water broke. It was not a gush, but it was more than a drizzle, too. It brought me to my feet, and I knew that labor was really going to start now. I felt ready and excited to do this.

Very quickly, the waves became more intense, and the only way I could handle them was to drop to the floor on all fours and breathe through them there. I made it into the shower, which felt great, and stayed on the floor of the tub letting the water pound on my lower back.

While I was in the shower, Alexander started to fill up the birth pool for me. He came back intermittently to check on me.

Eventually, I had to get out of the shower, because I had diarrhea cramps. My bowels emptied themselves, and then I knew I wanted to get out of the bathroom. By this point, I was vocalizing loudly and lowly through the contractions, and always in all fours or in baby pose on the ground. I asked Alexander to put his hands on my lower back, just touching me there, not pressing. It was all I needed, but it was exactly what I needed. I eventually made it down the hall, through the kitchen, and into the living room. I remember asking Alexander what time it was, and it was 4:15 when we made it back into the living room.

By this point, the waves were coming completely on top of each other. I was overwhelmed and trying to find a way to cope, still dropping to the floor. Alexander suggested I move my hips, which helped a lot. On all fours, I moved my hips back and forth very quickly, in a wiggle, while bellowing loudly and lowly. Once or twice I felt my voice start to rise, and my breathing start to become shallow, but I pulled myself back into myself, back into my power, and kept my voice low, and my breathing as slow as possible. I remember looking down, as sweat poured down my arms and legs, my wet hair scraggly and hanging over my head, as I could only look down at the rug. I was in a raw, primal state.

Suddenly, I felt the baby’s head start to come down the birth canal! I could not believe it! Could this be happening, already?! Is he already coming? I told Alexander: “He’s coming!” I was overwhelmed by the sensation of the head, the intensity of it, terrifying me in and of itself. I said “I’m scared!”, and had a moment of really wanting to get out of this thing…I said to Alexander “Please do not let another contraction come”. I asked for Davi, the midwife. He told me it would be okay, he would catch the baby. He reminded me that I am the mama, that I have to do this, that I need to dive in and do it. I looked down at my hands on the floor, at the rug. I closed my eyes and breathed. I drew on the strength of all the women who had birthed before, who were birthing now, I pulled it up from the floor and into my body. My arms held me up, and I knew I was strong, I could do it, I would do it.

When a contraction did come, through no will of my own, my whole body pushed the baby’s head down. There was nothing I could do stop it. I was just on the ride of this labor.

At this moment, Finley woke up, and called out on the monitor: Daddy! Why won’t you answer me? Alexander had to go and get him. While I was alone in the living room, I continued to draw on this strength, and I held the baby in. I did not want him to shoot out onto the floor, which wasn’t that soft. I seemed to will another push not to come.

The next thing I knew, Alexander came in, Finley in his arms, his other hands on my lower back, where I had needed them this past hour. Davi, the midwife walked in. She took over, while Alexander dashed Finley upstairs. She told me he was crowning, and she asked me to pant, so the baby wouldn’t come so fast. I panted through one contraction, and with the next one, his head popped out! I looked down, through my arms and legs, and could see his head!

Just then, Alexander came back downstairs, and Davi called him over to catch him. I expected my body to just push his body out like it had pushed his head out, but it didn’t. I looked back at Davi, who said “Push your baby out”. I couldn’t imagine having the strength to push myself. And the pain of the contractions and the pushes was completely gone! But, I mustered up all my strength, and gave one big push. Out came his body! It felt so amazing!!! Feeling his slippery shoulders, back, and bum, slide through me. Alexander caught him and passed him to me through my arms and legs. It was 4:43 am.

I turned around and sat down and held my baby boy. He was beautiful! So perfect! So much hair, and such a cute round face, and bright pink. He was quiet, did not cry, so I asked if he was okay. Davi assured me he was perfectly healthy, and breathing well. Alexander held us for a moment, but then had to go check on our Finley, who was upstairs and scared, and had chosen not to watch his brother being born.

Eva walked in, whom Alexander had called in the midst of the chaos, to come and be with Finley. She could not believe I was sitting with a baby in my arms! Ten minutes earlier, Alexander had called to ask her to come, and Davi had just arrived.

With the help of Davi, her assistant, and Eva, and with my baby in my arms, I made my way back to the bedroom. I delivered the placenta easily. Alexander joined me, while we snuggled in bed with our brand new baby boy. He nursed within the first hour.

I was, and still am, in heaven, with my bundle of sweetness, of love.

So far, he has been so very sweet, so mellow. He sleeps all the time and his head is wonderfully wobbly and he makes the cutest noises. We are so, so blessed.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 AM

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story with us. Congratulations to your family and welcome baby Nikolai!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 10-23-2009, 09:22 AM

What a beautiful birth story! Thank you for sharing it! And congratulations!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story! congratulations, mama, I am so happy for you!

User Tag List