Mothering Forum banner

A girl for me, and a c-section.

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Andel 
#1 ·
My daughter was born around 11:30, Oct 22. She weighed 8lbs.

I ended up being transfered to the hospital by ambulance when my midwife arrived and found a foot instead of a head.

I'm still a bit bummed out about how the birth of my last child went down but I'm trying not to focus on it too much.

I wasn't even sure I was in labour when my water broke. I knew something was wrong right away, things just didn't feel right. I stayed on my hands an knees and freaked out. My midwife was 45mins away, I had talked to her earlier to let her know I might be in labour and that I had felt some funny kicking that felt like it was in my bladder. I had gone to my appointment the day before and the baby was head down, I had also gone to the chiropractor a couple of hours before and she felt it was head down as well. I went home to have a bath and my water broke, this has never happened to me, my midwives have always broken it just before I start to push. I was crying to my husband to call the ambulance, my midwives were on the phone trying to calm me down, I was trying to crawl out the door on my own because I felt like no one was listening to me.

Anyway, I hit some place where my contractions totally stopped. My midwives arrived, confirmed a foot. Ambulance was called. An ultrasound confirmed baby was a footling breech. Before that the drs were talking a vaginal delivery. I was surprised at how pro vaginal breech they were. They were really encouraging it. When it was a confirmed footling breech, things changed and I needed a csection. Baby was doing the splits with a one leg through my cervix.

Anyway, I was a wreck the whole time. Baby had a lot of bruising on her lower body and her hip clicks, they think because of her position. She'll most likely get an ultrasound soon. In the meantime we'll double diaper her.

I'm starting to feel a bit sad about how things went down. My kids missed out. I had been hoping for a boy, this is my 5th child, last 4 are all girls. I'm happy about having a girl but a bit sad about this being my last. I'm also a bit sad that even if I'm crazy enough to have one more, they recommend waiting another year, or was it two? And it's a recommended hospital birth. I feel like I've been out of it the last few days, pain killers, recovery, and I've missed out on a lot.

Baby is beautiful and very peaceful. I'll try to get some pics going soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
congratulations

- my first ds was part footling part kneeling preemie and i had a lot of sadness about his section for a long time so i understand the feelings you've expressed

be gentle with yourself, and heal well.

#7 ·
Hugs Mama. I had to respond because the same thing could have easily happened to me. We knew my baby was breech, and all the ultrasounds showed him as either frank or incomplete (half frank half complete.) Luckily I had found a midwife experienced with breeches and we planned on a vaginal home birth. I had talked to an OB about a c-section and had that as a backup plan. I was prepared to go to the hospital if the midwives recommended it.

I was very very lucky--my labor progressed so fast that I was fully dilated when the midwives arrived, and they were surprised to find he had moved into a footling position. Like you, I was worried because I felt kicking at my cervix. But I was very lucky that my baby somehow got pointed with both feet down and was in a good position for birth. It all happened so quickly that he was out before I knew it.

If a small detail had gone differently I could have also been rushed to the hospital for a c-section. I'm so sorry you did not get the birth you wanted. Some things are simply out of our control.

I hope you heal quickly and find total peace with the way things turned out. Congrats on a sweet & healthy little girl!

#8 ·
Heal quickly, mama

congrats on girl #5 - my mom is one of five girls and they are one happy family, it's so awesome when they all get together, sitting around the table laughing. Sorry your birth experience was so rough, I hope gets better for you soon.

#9 ·
Welcome Earthside Little Girl! Sorry things were so scary and didn't go remotely as planned. C-sections are hard, I had my c-section due to position and pre-e and it was so hard to wrap my emotions around the whole thing. I know personally I felt a little resentful over the whole thing and it was hard to be at peace with what happened. Don't hesitate to ask for help, esp with help while recovering from the surgery and recovering emotionally too. Be gentle with yourself mama! You did a great job even if things aren't as you wanted them to be

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.