Anyone change their mind about swine flu vax now that your LO is here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A good friend of mine has a son who just came down with swine flu. This is really starting to bug me because my toddler is unvaxxed and I wasn't intending to get the vax but now that I have a 5 week old, I'm getting really concerned. We cannot deal with flu in this house with a newborn. I usually come down with whatever my son gets and last winter it was awful. All of us completely out of commission.

I am thinking of getting the vax, for me and my son. I don't feel great about it but I am sick and tired of worrying about swine flu. I'm starting to feel completely helpless to protect my newborn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 PM

I'm thinking about it too. I get pneumonia when I get the flu so I'm worried. I have 4 kids that are all in school and they also go to ballet and gymnastics 5 days a week. I'm worried about them bringing something home.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andel View Post
I'm thinking about it too. I get pneumonia when I get the flu so I'm worried. I have 4 kids that are all in school and they also go to ballet and gymnastics 5 days a week. I'm worried about them bringing something home.
Yeah, my friend has no idea where her son got it....probably the mall. I mean, if you can go and get it from a mall without really coming into contact with a sick person, then you can get it anywhere.

If I didn't have a newborn, it'd be a definite no (and I have asthma too). We've weathered illness and while it sucks, we always soldier through. But with a newborn? I honestly cannot imagine it. I don't even know what I would do if a newborn got the flu. Seriously have no idea. I imagine we'd have to run off to the emergency room, which is exactly where I do not want to be. Honestly, thinking about this is scaring the hell out of me.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
A good friend of mine has a son who just came down with swine flu. This is really starting to bug me because my toddler is unvaxxed and I wasn't intending to get the vax but now that I have a 5 week old, I'm getting really concerned. We cannot deal with flu in this house with a newborn. I usually come down with whatever my son gets and last winter it was awful. All of us completely out of commission.

I am thinking of getting the vax, for me and my son. I don't feel great about it but I am sick and tired of worrying about swine flu. I'm starting to feel completely helpless to protect my newborn.
It scares the hell out of me too. I have a toddler with asthma and the newborn... I try not to take dd ( the toddler) to too many public places and when we do purell for everyone except the baby obviously.
But the vaccine scares the hell out of me too... its untested, unstudied, they don't even know if it works, and some of the chemicals in it are scary!!!
But I won't get it. We are staying clear of the docs office too. My newborn was born at home and has not been seen by a doctor because I am too afraid to go to the office since I know its probably crawling with it!! I am just worried about the kids getting it- not me.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 AM

No I am still not getting it, we don't do any vax's though.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 AM

Nope, not doing it.

I have an almost 3 year old, a 12 day old, a husband with asthma, and me (who hasn't had the flu in 13 years). I will admit to being paranoid (d@mn media hype), but, I am more paranoid of the vaccine.

I have known my husband for 12 years now, the sickest that I ever saw him get was the one time in his life he got a flu vaccine. There's just no way I'm taking the chance.

We're all taking our vitamins, increasing our D, washing our hands more and just going about life as normal otherwise.

~heather

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
Old 11-03-2009, 03:13 AM

no
my midwife had it, and her 2 teenage sons - said it was bad for 2 days

technically we've been exposed (two wks ago) and didn't get it. my midwife had full blown symptoms the day after we had an appt with her

i am more concerned about the vaccine than this flu

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
pjs

Nope, not getting it. Our family doc said the vaccine efficacy in kids under 3 is the same as a salt water injection. He recommended we give the kids extra vit d (2,000) and up our vit d to 5,000, in addition to frequent handwashing, etc
Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I can't up my vitamin D. I'm at a toxic level already. My son takes CLO. I try to wash his hands, but come on. He's almost 3. He cannot keep his hands off his face.

Without a newborn, this decision is easy. But I cannot afford to get smacked down with the flu now.

However, I can't find this stupid vax anywhere as of right now, so the decision is being made for me, at least at the moment.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM

i'm pretty sure my older kids have already had it. we've been exposed to it already i do know that. i'm breastfeeding amelia and when i take her out, i either hold her or use the sling so that we are both exposed to whatever is out there. come on mama milk!

we've also upped our vit d, but not initially because of the swine flu. millie is at risk for osteopenia (a bone disease aka rickets) and she needs extra vit d. i'm taking about 6-8000iu/day and millie takes about 1000iu/day. the 3 yr old is at about 1000iu as well.

the only time i've gotten the flu is when i've gotten the vax so no thanks. my son has asthma and has had the cough for about a week and a half now, but it's just naggy and not causing any inflammation or wheezing.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Yes, I have changed my mind about it, and am going to get it (if I can) at the earliest opportunity. Two reasons why:

-It's the same vaccine as the seasonal flu vaccine, just with H1N1 plugged into it -- so not a totally new formulation. And I've gotten the seasonal flu vax in the past with no ill effects, so that's my personal experience.
-I weighed the risk for me of getting the vaccine versus the risk for my baby of getting the swine flu. Obviously there's no contest there -- if there's a health risk to be taken, I'll take it, not my baby.

Living in NYC I am TOTALLY paranoid about flu, swine and otherwise. I take every precaution, handwashing, limiting exposure, etc., but there's only so much you can do when you live in such a densely populated area.

I don't think there's one right answer. I wish it were more clear-cut. I really hope this swine flu thing turns out to be overblown -- before I had a baby I was much more skeptical about these health "threats" -- I guess I'm still skeptical but just way more paranoid these days.

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm still not getting it. But, the research I acquire comes from other sources than the media so I've definitely been pulled in a different direction.

Does anyone read the Mercola articles about the flus? That's some VERY interesting information.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
I'm still not getting it. But, the research I acquire comes from other sources than the media so I've definitely been pulled in a different direction.

Does anyone read the Mercola articles about the flus? That's some VERY interesting information.
I do

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

I get the Mercola articles in my email. So I have read them.

The thing is, is Dr. Mercola going to come over and treat my newborn if my 3 year old comes down with it and gives it to us? If there was no newborn in this equation, then it's a no-brainer for me. But there is.

What are some of the natural things he discusses in preventing swine flu? Here's a good one: get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Yeah, RIGHT. With a newborn, YOU CAN'T. I can't. Nor does my husband. So there's one strike against us and there is NOTHING I can do about it. Here's another: up your nutrition with stuff like garlic. Lots of veggies, etc. Um, I'm on an elimination diet. I CAN'T. Unless I want to get even LESS sleep with all the gas and fussiness.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Funny you should ask Friendlee! I'm listening to Mercola right now! Here is the link.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-Pandemic.aspx

I'm not scared of the flu, swine or otherwise. I have seen my kids make it through many illnesses unscathed. I know they are strong and I personally feel the flu vaccines only weaken them. That is just my own personal belief. In twelve years of having been a mother and four other newborns, they have all made it through infancy alive, with and without vaccines. The children I vaccinated were less healthy and actually caught more illnesses than the unvaccinated two. If I'd had a different experience, perhaps I would feel differently but for now, no shots for us.

All that being said, Pandme, you have to make that decision for yourself. When I contemplate whether or not I want to get a vaccine I ask questions about the vaccine like efficacy, and side effects. I also a assess the current health of the family and what the illness is LIKELY to bring: Fever, body aches, misery for a week. If you learn that the swine flu vaccine is effective at fighting the swine flu and that particular virus is what you are most worried about, then get it. It won't protect you and the kids against all the colds and other icky viruses that are out there, though. Those viruses will likely cause all those same symptoms in you and your newborn. According to a report CBS did, those are the types of viruses most people are getting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5404829.shtml

Just out of curiousity what was your vitamin D number? I must have missed your post in the other thread about vitamin D.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Firewoman, it was 148. I know. I don't take a supplement! Only what was in my prenatal. But that is a HIGH number.

I just had it retested yesterday. Though the pediatrician thought it was awesome and there was no such thing as toxicity. I feel fine, anyway. I'm just not sure where that number came from. Pregnancy wackiness?

The vax is a more complex thing for me. If my kids came down with it, I'm sure it would mean automatic emergency room for the newborn. And here's the thing....EVERYONE in the family would blame me. And I don't have the energy to justify myself anymore.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Why do assume it would be automatic ER for the baby? That is not what I take away from everything I'm hearing about it. I'm not trying to argumentative. I'm genuinely interested in why you feel this way. I do understand how it is difficult to bear the responsibility all by yourself if it is just you resisting the vax while the rest of your family feels everyone should get it.

And wow! That is a high vitamin D number! Usually prenatals don't have more than 400IU's.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

It's possible I could have high calcium levels too....we have a family history of kidney stones and I've had them in the past.

It's the fever I'm concerned with. A fever of over 100.4 in a baby less than 3 months old is a medical emergency, isn't it?

A big issue for me is just feeling responsible for everything. My gassy, cradle-cap covered infant is doing an awful lot of fussing. I am alone (my parents watch my son during the day). All I do is obsess over what am I eating that is wrong, what am I doing that is causing this. I am trained to feel solely responsible for these kids!

And truthfully, last year sucked not only because we all got sick a lot (and none were VPDs that I know of) but because EVERY time we did, I'd wonder if it WAS a VPD and if he was going to get meningitis or something. That wears on a pregnant woman! (There's also my asthma which was really a problem in the cold months).
Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
It's the fever I'm concerned with. A fever of over 100.4 in a baby less than 3 months old is a medical emergency, isn't it?
I believe the reason a fever in a newborn is a problem is the fact that it may be a late onset bacterial infection acquired at birth or soon thereafter (like GBS, meningitis or a UTI). If my whole family had the flu and my infant had a 100.4 fever it would be a good indication to me that the baby had acquired the same virus the rest of the family had. Without other alarming symptoms that may be associated with flu i.e. breathing problems, vomiting/diarrhea causing dehydration or symptoms related to one of the bacterial infections above, the fever would not be a medical emergency in my house. I would definitely watch the fever to be sure it wasn't suddenly spiking or causing febrile seizures. What I'm trying to say is a fever itself does not indicate a medical emergency, but what is causing that fever *may* be.

I understand your feelings about VPD. I've been there and I still consider getting meningitis vaccines for LO's. It is a hard decision and one that I don't take lightly. I can honestly say that refusing the swine flu vax for myself and my children does not inspire the same dichotomy in me. I AM NOT WORRIED about the flu and I have three other children in school. There have supposedly been 5 "confirmed" cases of swine flu at my children's school and 2 of my kids are in grades with affected children. I'm just not sure that all of these people actually have swine flu and even if they do, they recover and get back to school and are fine. I can't get too worried about that. Compared to meningitis, the flu isn't so bad. Miserable but not too bad for most people.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Firewoman, it was 148. I know. I don't take a supplement! Only what was in my prenatal. But that is a HIGH number.

I just had it retested yesterday. Though the pediatrician thought it was awesome and there was no such thing as toxicity. I feel fine, anyway. I'm just not sure where that number came from. Pregnancy wackiness?

The vax is a more complex thing for me. If my kids came down with it, I'm sure it would mean automatic emergency room for the newborn. And here's the thing....EVERYONE in the family would blame me. And I don't have the energy to justify myself anymore.
ARe you sure they tested you for vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol and not D 2?
I last had mine tested when pregnant and I was 17. I never wear sun screen, am in the sun alot, tan easily, and I take 8-10,000 iu of Vit d a few times a week. I have never heard of anyone even above 50.. its soo hard to get enough Vit D unless you live in Jaimaca or something and are in the sun all day every day.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Mercola also recommends lots of hand washing, tulsi tea and gently cleaning out the mucous membranes that are the way for the flu to get in to your body (warm salt water flush nasally by neti pot and by gargling). I do these things and I think they help.

I am fundamentally against most vaccines and skeptical of the profits to be made by pharmaceutical companies. However, I am not against people who do get the flu vaccine. Most everyone I know will be getting it actually and I don't expect them all to become paralyzed or for them all to get the flu. But, I wonder, Padme, if your situation warrants the vaccine considering your specifically, unique situation and considering the amount of stress it is causing? I know none of us can get the sleep that we want and that is recommended but experiencing an extra load of stress will only add to your risk of getting sick. I agree with firewoman as far as being sick not being the end of the world...however, if, in your situation it would really throw everything caddywhompus in a way that makes it very tough for the family to get back to normal, maybe the vaccine is the right choice for you?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mercola also recommends lots of hand washing, tulsi tea and gently cleaning out the mucous membranes that are the way for the flu to get in to your body (warm salt water flush nasally by neti pot and by gargling). I do these things and I think they help.

I am fundamentally against most vaccines and skeptical of the profits to be made by pharmaceutical companies. However, I am not against people who do get the flu vaccine. Most everyone I know will be getting it actually and I don't expect them all to become paralyzed or for them all to get the flu. But, I wonder, Padme, if your situation warrants the vaccine considering your specifically, unique situation and considering the amount of stress it is causing? I know none of us can get the sleep that we want and that is recommended but experiencing an extra load of stress will only add to your risk of getting sick. I agree with firewoman as far as being sick not being the end of the world...however, if, in your situation it would really throw everything caddywhompus in a way that makes it very tough for the family to get back to normal, maybe the vaccine is the right choice for you?
That was my thought. I am trying to do what's right for our situation and it is causing so much stress. Like I said, we've done no vaxxes with my son. I never get a flu vax. But this thing is everywhere....it's not like polio where the chance of getting it is almost zero. Or chickenpox....which I have had so I can pass protection to my daughter.

I really really hate cold and flu season.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmama2 View Post
ARe you sure they tested you for vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol and not D 2?
I last had mine tested when pregnant and I was 17. I never wear sun screen, am in the sun alot, tan easily, and I take 8-10,000 iu of Vit d a few times a week. I have never heard of anyone even above 50.. its soo hard to get enough Vit D unless you live in Jaimaca or something and are in the sun all day every day.
I don't know....I'll ask when these next results come back. What's the difference between the tests? I just said I want my D tested and that was that.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I don't know....I'll ask when these next results come back. What's the difference between the tests? I just said I want my D tested and that was that.
D 3 is the one from the sun... Just to make sure you really were that high I would make sure they tested you for d 3.. ( the lab test is hydroxy d or something along those lines) because if it was d 2 than your aren't in the toxic levels of d3 if you were tested for d2... make sense??that way you know for sure. If that really and truly is your Vit d level I want to know your secrets!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmama2 View Post
D 3 is the one from the sun... Just to make sure you really were that high I would make sure they tested you for d 3.. ( the lab test is hydroxy d or something along those lines) because if it was d 2 than your aren't in the toxic levels of d3 if you were tested for d2... make sense??that way you know for sure. If that really and truly is your Vit d level I want to know your secrets!!!
LOL, I was eating a CRAPLOAD of dairy and cottage cheese, luna bars, stuff like that. I was doing a GD type diet (though I did not have GD). I also spent a lot of time in the sun before I got tested....I am VERY pale though and burn easily. Maybe I don't need as much sun?

I didn't know about the difference in tests. Thank you....I will clarify when I get these next results back.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM

I have asthma and tend to get infections easily. My DS is immune deficient and asthmatic. We're still not getting the vax. If we get the flu, we get it and have natural immunity. I don't need to risk complications with the vaxes. Our bodies are comprimized as it is. This is a brand new vax, we don't know how bad it's going to be for people en masse. So far the risks of swine flu have been for the immune compromised just like the regular flu. The prob with this one is that people born after 1950 haven't been exposed but then again our kids are all new and haven't been exposed to any flus so really they are at risk for any flu. If you would decline the regular flu shot then it makes sense to decline the h1n1 shot too. The really nice thing about this flu is everyone is terrified of it, so more people are washing hands and wearing masks. Hopefully that will keep it at bay, probably more so then the vax will.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Over in H&H, it seems my astronomical level likely means some autoimmune disorder like sarcoidosis. So in addition to my fussy child, who is already depriving me of sleep and sanity, I get to worry about a rare disease as well.

I thought I had avoided PPD, but it's here. I cried all last night except for the hour of sleep I got when she wasn't squirming or fussing. I begged my husband to stay home with me but he can't. I just feel like crawling into a hole and never coming out.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Over in H&H, it seems my astronomical level likely means some autoimmune disorder like sarcoidosis. So in addition to my fussy child, who is already depriving me of sleep and sanity, I get to worry about a rare disease as well.

I thought I had avoided PPD, but it's here. I cried all last night except for the hour of sleep I got when she wasn't squirming or fussing. I begged my husband to stay home with me but he can't. I just feel like crawling into a hole and never coming out.
awww hugs!! Ds was up every 1 hour last night

Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I thought I was heading towards better days but the past 2 days have been awful. The lo has been crying non stop.. I have resorted to just putting him down and letting him cry periodically to regain some sanity and control before picking him up again.. Not fun.. Someone gave me a new wrap to try last night though so I am hoping that I can get him to go in there and hopefully like it. Maybe then I can get something done around here! I am spending way to much time on the computer because at least I can do something while I am holding him then.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Padme I totally understand how you feel. I basically posted the same question in the vax forum recently and the responses were very strong against the vax, and then my thread was locked because I guess we're not supposed to post new H1N1 threads since there are so many.
My 3 year old is attending a waldorf preschool (mostly unvaxed student population) and if H1N1 gets there I know he'll get it. Like you said...we wash hands and use sanitizer all the time, but it is impossible to stop the spread in your house if your toddler is sick, or to stop the spread amongst toddlers in a preschool setting. He recently got a cold (which has turned into a sinus infection despite all our immune boosting efforts), and also despite my containment efforts we ALL came down with it- including the baby (definitely just a mild cold though, thankfully). If a 3 year old is sneezing, coughing and has very runny nose then it is so difficult to keep it contained.
Anyway, my ped offered H1N1 vax for my son due to having a newborn at home. I have done so much research and at this point am strongly leaning towards NOT getting it. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Like you, if it wasn't for the newborn I wouldn't think twice about not getting it.

Also, my ped said that although they don't treat most kids/adults that get it, if my newborn were to contract it and we caught it early then they would be recommending tamiflu. I don't know anything about tamiflu so now I have to research that...assuming that is evil too?

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan

User Tag List