oral thrush, help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd has thrush, I'm fairly certain. How to treat?
Don't have a lot of options here, anything suggested has to be available at a drugstore or I have to order it online and I think that will be too long 2 wait.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Gentian Violet. It is usually considered a last resort if nystatin doesnt work. It will make her mouth purple. You can put it on you nipples as well. I will look in my LLL breastfeeding answer book for application and I'll post. You can find it at some drugstores, but call before you go in to see if they have it in stock.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoman View Post
Gentian Violet. It is usually considered a last resort if nystatin doesnt work. It will make her mouth purple. You can put it on you nipples as well. I will look in my LLL breastfeeding answer book for application and I'll post. You can find it at some drugstores, but call before you go in to see if they have it in stock.
I think I will call her ped tomorrow and try to get the nystatin. According to Kellymom.com treating is not necessary unless thrush is causing pain for mom or baby ... I don't know if it is bothering her but I'm having shooting pains in my right nipple and it is red and shiny. OUch. I'm pretty sure my last baby had thrush (now that I think back on it) but I never had symptoms and the white patches went away fairly quickly w/o tx.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Probiotics. Sprinkle it in her mouth and on your nipples. You may need to treat her bottom too. Avoid sugar.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
Probiotics. Sprinkle it in her mouth and on your nipples. You may need to treat her bottom too. Avoid sugar.
What kind of probiotics? I have acidophilus pills, plain yogurt, and kefir mix .....

Could I put some miconazole cream on my nipples tonight if I wash it off before I feed her? Just a thought ...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:23 AM

Here in Canada the Nystatin creme is available over the counter. You can put that on your nipples after feeding. You don't have to take it off before nursing. The drops are prescription. You use a qtip to wipe on baby's cheeks and tongue. I have found if you jump on thrush it settles down quickly. DS & I had it by day 10. It was gone within a couple of days. With my DD it took nearly 2 months to clear. It never seemed to bother her but my nipples were itchy and pained. I was told since it's yeast, you never really get rid of it. You want to bring your body back into balance. So increase yogurt etc and decrease sugar.

If you go the gentian violet route, you use a qtip to rub on baby's tongue and cheeks and to your nipples. It's a really messy task though.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
What kind of probiotics? I have acidophilus pills, plain yogurt, and kefir mix .....

Could I put some miconazole cream on my nipples tonight if I wash it off before I feed her? Just a thought ...
Powdered acidophilus either just powdered(should be in the refrigerated section) or capsules that you can open and sprinkle. You can mix it with a bit of water to make a paste too. No on the monistat.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I recommend using Grapefruit Seed Extract according to the instructions on Jay Gordon's website. It worked great for us. WE got the GSE at Whole Foods, but I've seen it at other natural food/supplement places. Also, try to get your hands on some All Purpose Nipple Ointment if you can -- you have to get it made at a compounding pharmacy but your midwife should be able to prescribe it.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
I recommend using Grapefruit Seed Extract according to the instructions on Jay Gordon's website. It worked great for us. WE got the GSE at Whole Foods, but I've seen it at other natural food/supplement places. Also, try to get your hands on some All Purpose Nipple Ointment if you can -- you have to get it made at a compounding pharmacy but your midwife should be able to prescribe it.
Thanks I might try that. The thrush seems to be disappearing from her tongue, but my nipples are still red and sore.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 AM

Rinse your nipples with a solution of one cup water to one tablespoon vinegar. Oh, and put a solution of calendula in olive oil on them as well as in your baby's mouth. You will pass it back and forth if you don't treat both at the same time.
Increase the coconut oil and green veggies in your diet and reduce or eliminate high glycemic carbohydrates like sugar and sweet fruits like melons.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM
pjs

GSE always worked for me. Use it for the full two weeks though to make sure you knock it out completely.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:05 AM

The naturopath says calendula tincture once per day and probiotics twice per day (pinkie full) in baby's mouth, calendula tincure on nipples twice per day after nursing, probiotics by mouth for mom 2x per day as well,\.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List