Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clementine Grace

October 22nd, 2009
12:53am
8lbs even, 20 inches

She's 3 weeks old today, so this is a little late... but you all know what those first couple of weeks are like!!

Read the whole story (with some pictures) on my blog!

And just pictures here.

Synopsis:

We induced labor at 40 weeks 4 days because of my husband's work schedule (he would be on-call the following week and we wanted a couple days off with him and baby before he had to work).

My midwife came over and started induction stuff around 11 am on Wednesday October 21st. Nothing happened. No contractions ALL DAY. Finally when I was nursing my 20 month old to sleep at around 8pm I felt contractions start! Yay!

This is my 5th baby and my labors are usually pretty fast, so I was expecting contractions to come on like gangbusters, but they stayed "manageable" for several hours! At around 10:30pm I was hoping to be able to get into the birth tub but was only dilated to 4 and baby's head was still high, so my midwife suggested I try to sleep.

DH and I curled up in bed and slept until 12:15am when a rough contraction woke me up. Every 2nd or 3rd contraction was a bad one, with milder ones in between. Midwife checked me and I was 5-6cm dilated, very soft and open, baby low.

At 12:30am I got into the birth tub - heavenly!! Then I had a SUUUUPER bad contractions - kind of knocked me for a loop. Another one hit me hard and I braced myself for an hour or two of intense labor, trying to relax, breathe, let the pain flow over and through me... but for the first time I felt like I couldn't handle it. I couldn't find that place of relaxation I usually go to in labor - I felt like thrashing and wringing my hands in despair. I felt like crying at the thought that this was going to last for who knows how long! I was thinking, "I can't do this!!" (Classic signs of transition, I know, but that wasn't even in my mind at the time!)

Then after about 5 or 6 of these really killer contractions, I suddenly felt like I had to... PUSH! Already??!! I turned to my midwives and said, "Oh my gosh, I think I have to push!" They said go ahead, so I pushed!

Almost immediately I felt the baby's head crowning! I kept pushing as my midwife threw on a glove and put her hand in the water to catch the baby! She yelled for DH, who was trying to get our 20 month old back to sleep. He came running in time to see the head emerging. In another huge push I birthed the rest of the baby. I was kneeling and leaning against the wall of the birth tub, so my midwife put the baby back through my legs and DH took her and pulled her out of the water.

"It's a girl!" he said!

She was born at 12:53am, about 20 minutes after I got in the tub at 5cm!

I sat with her in the tub for quite a while (I didn't tear, so the water was pretty clear) and our other three kids (boys age 20 months and 3 years, daughter age 10.5 years) came to admire her. It was really beautiful to be all together as a family to welcome our new little daughter.

She nursed right away like a champ, and we all snuggled up in bed and fell blissfully to sleep after a beautiful, perfect 5 hour labor!

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Congratulations!!! She shares her birthday with my son, Benjamin!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM

congrats!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Hey, you have great taste in names.

My daughter is named Clementine, too.

Congratulations!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM

Congrats! Kara Esme is 3 weeks old today too.
Sounds like a great birth.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Congratulations! She's beautiful!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
She's perfect! What a sweet little new family member you have there, congratulations!!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
Hey, you have great taste in names.

My daughter is named Clementine, too.

Congratulations!
That is wild! I absolutely love the name. I'm glad to know there are others who love it too. Congrats on your little girl, too! Do you have a nickname for her or do you call her by her full name? There is a controversy going on here over this issue...

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
pjs

Congrats!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_honeyb View Post
That is wild! I absolutely love the name. I'm glad to know there are others who love it too. Congrats on your little girl, too! Do you have a nickname for her or do you call her by her full name? There is a controversy going on here over this issue...
We're using the full name but I do call her Clem on occasion. How funny, my parents were all hung up over nicknames too! But my son, Harrison, doesn't have a nickname either. I'm just not a huge "nicknames" person.

We've loved Clementine for so many years now, I'm thrilled we got to use the name because when I was pregnant with my son, one of my pregnant friends asked if she could take the name if she had a daughter (she ended up having a boy). I was like, nooooo, it's MY NAME, lol. I panicked about whether I would ever get to use it since I didn't know then if I would ever have a girl.

We got the name from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Her middle name is Jolie. How did you arrive at the name?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Pandme,

I prefer not to use a nickname, too. I just love "Clementine" so much that I really don't want to shorten it! We've had a couple relatives use "Clemmy" and I'm not a fan.

I did have one friend who was going to name her baby Clementine if he was a girl, too! But I actually didn't know that until after ours was born. We didn't find out what we were having beforehand, but I felt SO sure this was a girl (after three boys in a row!) that I actually made a "Clementine" name banner for her before she was born. Everyone thought I was crazy.

I found the name (boringly) in a baby name book, and we loved the meaning, plus how it sounds. Although I remembered it from "Eternal Sunshine", which I just watched last weekend again. DH was like, "Hey, her name is Clementine!"

Her middle name is after her big sister.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Oh, geez, do NOT let them call her Clemmy!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
Congrats! Kara Esme is 3 weeks old today too.
Sounds like a great birth.
They both weighed the same, too! How long was she?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM

congratulations!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM

Welcome Earthside Clementine! What a lovely birth!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif

User Tag List