My baby is starving! (Why don't I make enough milk?) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
and i'm still awake! i'm waiting for dh to get home to give her a bottle so i can rest. i feed her for a bit, then give her to him to finish up with a 2 oz bottle and i sleep until the next feeding. if someone is holding her, i can usually get 2 hrs out of it. but that's it during the week as far as sleep for me. i can sometime doze while dd3 watches tv, but she usually talks to me or pulls open my eyelids (and no, i'm not exaggerating) so i can't count on that. is it bad that i'm looking forward to my tubal dec 2 so i can have dh home for a week so i can sleep? he has taken 1 day off since millie was born!!!

i think she might be getting close to the 12lb mark so hopefully we can sleep a bit longer, even if she has to be held to sleep.
Do babies apparently sleep better when they reach a certain weight? I think I remember something about this.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#32 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 02:29 PM

this is my third time around with low milk supply. i have pcos. if you want lots of tips, visit the breastfeeding challenges board. a quick summary: try fenugreek, blessed thistle (general guidelines are 3 capsules of each, 3 times a day), if you can get it try domperidone (works very well for most but not all women, i am in canada and it's easy for me to get - it's restricted in the us but the ladies have found means to get it), read the book "making more milk" for LOADS of reasons why your milk might be low and tips to fix it, nurse frequently, pump what you can and supplement with expressed milk when needed.

anyways, about sleeping through the night - my first child didn't sleep through the night until 9 months old, my daughter until she was 2 years old. literally. nothing to do with weight, starting solids, feeding, co-sleeping (my daughter did not sleep well at all co-sleeping, didn't sleep through the night until she stopped co-sleeping and got her own room), etc. we have found no co-relation at all with any of these things. each baby is different and will sleep through the night in their own time.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#33 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 PM

I was up about the same time with my baby, so it's apparently fairly common. I don't have low supply either.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#34 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh09 View Post
anyways, about sleeping through the night - my first child didn't sleep through the night until 9 months old, my daughter until she was 2 years old. literally. nothing to do with weight, starting solids, feeding, co-sleeping (my daughter did not sleep well at all co-sleeping, didn't sleep through the night until she stopped co-sleeping and got her own room), etc. we have found no co-relation at all with any of these things. each baby is different and will sleep through the night in their own time.
I just wanted to add a big ditto. Babies are just different. My first didn't sleep more than 3 hours in a row until she was almost 2 but she wasn't very fussy. DS, on the other hand, fusses and nurses and wails for 2-3 hours every night, then conks out for 4-5 hours straight (which is all great as long as I am willing to also go to bed at 8pm).

When he's overtired he does even more wailing and rolling his head around and acting like there's no milk to be had. But, when I convince him to stop the wailing and such he'll get a good letdown within a minute. I have plenty of milk most of the time, and I know it has nothing to do with milk supply.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#35 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs View Post
me too!!!
me three.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#36 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
BlueEyedLady: That's really interesting...my dd has acted hungry and then spit all up a few times too.

Well, I'll start taking the More Milk Plus and the Mother's tea and just nurse, nurse, nurse. Thank you all for the encouragment and advice. I love this website! If I were only listening to people near me in town, I'd likely have bought formula last night. I feel like you ladies and your experiences have been a lifesaver for me so often.

It's awful, but I just want to have a few drinks sometimes and not worry about the alcohol level in my milk for a few hours. I think a lot of women would find nursing MUCH easier if they could have a few drinks to take the edge off! (I know I can have a glass of wine or a beer and be safe...I guess I prefer a few glasses or a few beers though - I will be honest, I don't drink it for the taste, but instead for the buzz).
Girl... what you need is a PUMP! (I suggest the Avent ISIS manual pump, too.)

There's nothing wrong with Daddy giving a bottle every night... mine hubby does that too... You just have to remember to pump for that missed nursing. (This also keeps up your frozen supply!)

In fact, last week... my hubby took baby & older sister off for the day & it was a nice little break for my arms (she's gettin' heavy now...) & because I pumped for each feeding she would've had at home, things were a-o.k.

Also, go have your drinks... girls' nite out... whatever!!! Just be prepared with the frozen milk... then pump & dump after your "buzz!" :-)

Keep up the great work though... I'm with ya on the operating with "deflated" boobs! LOL Never tought of 'em like that!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page