how much does your lo cry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, i KNOW this is a dumb question. ftm, i don't know what exactly i expected, but babe is 2 1/2 weeks old and she does have some quiet alert time, some sleep time, and the rest is CRY time. tonsil shaking crying. flailing of fists crying.
i can usually solve the problem, diaper change, feeding (which feels like it's so incredibly frequently) etc.
i guess i'm just to a quiet environment, quiet all around, and it's frankly disturbing that there's so much screaming. does it get better?
at night when she wakes to nurse, she's too sleepy to scream, and i get the mouthing signals to feed her, which is much more pleasant. i try to watch for those during the day but it's as though she wakes up starving and past the sweet smacking lip stage.
i have NO idea what i'm doing with this baby. i'm seriously doubting my ability to be a good mother. how do you guys cope with screaming in your face while you try to unbuckle the bra and arrange the pillows to feed her, etc.?
i can't get the hang of feeding her in the sling, my bbs are enormous and i have to hold her head and my boob at the same time to get it to work.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 PM

my first baby was really rough and my third baby (who is six today ) screamed so much during his early weeks that he completely lost his voice i honestly don't know how i survived them.

hopefully mamas with better memories and advice come along because all i have to offer is that yes, it does get better/easier/different and you make it through bit by bit.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Mine cried basically every waking moment until about 6ish weeks or so..
He was 2mos yesterday and still does have crying fits in the evening but not nearly as much as before. I think the crying peaked at about 4-5weeks and then has been downhill since then.

Now that he is 2mos I am getting smiles and actually ENJOYING him since he isn't crying non stop

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#4 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 03:38 PM

it will get better, hang in there. my second screamed every waking moment for the first 7 weeks, i got depressed and thought he would be permently scarred. it was awful. now he's the happiest little 4 yo.

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#5 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Hang in there. It definitely gets better. I tell myself that every day. Mine's 8 weeks tomorrow and it's slowly improving. The carseat though.....oy.
#6 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM

i am having the exact same experience. 5.5 weeks now. plus she has gas pains. dreadful. and she won't open her mouth wide enough so my nips still hurt. going to LLL mtg tonight for some help/support for all these things.
i don't know what to tell you. i have to wear her and walk or bounce on a yoga ball to get her quiet & to sleep. baby chair & swing are good but only for quiet alert stage.
i trust this gets better soon.
#7 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 PM

DS was super colicky around 2 1/2 weeks. He cried so hard one night that my husband actually panicked and wanted to take him to the hospital. Luckily I knew it was just colic, but it was REALLY heartbreaking to hear my baby cry and feel powerless to help him. I stopped drinking milk and we also gave DS some gas drops it got better after a day or two. We just got over our first big growth spurt (at 6 weeks) which was also really hard. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I feel your pain. I'm new at this too and although I've heard all the stories and read all the books and technically knew what to expect, in my sleep-deprived haze and emotionally fragile state, there was no way I could apply that to my own situation. I wonder if every new mama feels alone in the world during the first 2-3 months with a fussy LO. (I sure did.)

DS is 7 weeks now and is happily cooing and smiling in his swing, and last night he got 2 long stretches of sleep (over 3 hours each) which was blissful. I'm told this is totally normal, we just have to hang in there. You're doing everything right, Mama!

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
#8 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
ok, i KNOW this is a dumb question. ftm, i don't know what exactly i expected, but babe is 2 1/2 weeks old and she does have some quiet alert time, some sleep time, and the rest is CRY time. tonsil shaking crying. flailing of fists crying.
i can usually solve the problem, diaper change, feeding (which feels like it's so incredibly frequently) etc.
i guess i'm just to a quiet environment, quiet all around, and it's frankly disturbing that there's so much screaming. does it get better?
at night when she wakes to nurse, she's too sleepy to scream, and i get the mouthing signals to feed her, which is much more pleasant. i try to watch for those during the day but it's as though she wakes up starving and past the sweet smacking lip stage.
i have NO idea what i'm doing with this baby. i'm seriously doubting my ability to be a good mother. how do you guys cope with screaming in your face while you try to unbuckle the bra and arrange the pillows to feed her, etc.?
i can't get the hang of feeding her in the sling, my bbs are enormous and i have to hold her head and my boob at the same time to get it to work.
Im right there with ya. Ds is okay during the am... well he does the whole screaming his head off when he decides he is hungry and doesnt even give me 2 seconds to sit down and get the boob out.... but jeez 3 pm rolls around and its on and off screaming until he passes out at 7 pm. He is 6 weeks sat so I am just hoping things improve as he gets older.
have you read the Happiest baby on the block book? There is lots of suggestions in there about keeping babies content although some of us just have screamers I guess. I did notice that ds gets over tired he crys way worse and its so hard to settle down. Really babies our babies age shouldn;t be awake more than 1-2 hours at a time or they get over tired. Which makes sense but ds is just so darn hard to get to sleep. He falls asleep on the boob and then has to spit up and that wakes him up. But yeah it will get better.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#9 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Big deep breaths while you get the boobs ready

Erika

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#10 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM

All the pps are great. I just want to add that I had to just get used to the screaming while I get my boob all ready for him. It's hard to do, but I just do it any way. I've found that if I can prop him well enough on the pillow I am using and kind of hold him with an arm/elbow/hand, I have enough time to unsnap and get ready.

It will get better. My baby has been screaming non stop for weeks and I know how hard it is. We did take him to the doctor just to make sure as we wasn't sleeping at all through the day. We're experimenting to see if it is reflux....

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page