Days & Nights - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know most of you may already know this but I still wanted to share because it's helped me immensely. The first night we had little Adriana home was pure hell. We were up all night trying to soothe and console my fussy baby who wouldn't sleep in between feedings unless she was sleeping on one of us. The next day I mentioned this to the lady who was here encapsulating my placenta and she gave me the best advice a new mother could ever get...

She said to keep the baby around noises and lights during the daytime, even when napping, in order to keep the brain from going into a deeper slumber. She also said that at night we need to keep the lights very dim and to NOT make eye contact with her or talk/soothe her in our normal day manner. Just do our business quietly and with minimal lighting. This helps to trigger the melatonin that causes her to sleep soundly and recognize that it's nighttime.

We tried this our second night home and it was like night and day. We've never looked back and from that day she's had her days/nights straight and she does really well with it. She's only three weeks old and other than her growth spurt nights recently, we've gotten good 4 hour spans with her each night. She'll get changed, eat and go back to sleep rather quickly as long as we remain silent and keep the lights low. It's amazing!!

I hope this information can be useful to at least one momma out there. It made our lives so much easier.

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#2 of 6 Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 PM

as a 5th time mom i agree - during the day behave as if it's day and during the night behave as if it's night

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Another fifth time mom in absolute aggreement!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#4 of 6 Old 11-21-2009, 06:28 AM

another 5th time mom that says :P to you all lol been there, tried that, own the t-shirt that says 'we've tried it all...she just has a mind of her own.' it won't last forever...it won't last forever...it won't last forever...

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#5 of 6 Old 11-22-2009, 03:30 AM

Reminds me of this song.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Reminds me of this song.
wow. i'm at all of those stages...newborn, preschooler, and almost-adult. definitely sending that one to dh as i know he'll totally relate! thank you jen!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page