Anyone elses little one have GER? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oliver has severe GER (gastroesophogeal reflux). He is my 3rd baby to have it. DD #1 had the type that she would vomit and it could shoot 10 feet. She was a efficient nurser and put if off as long as she could before eating. She was healthy but never chunky. We chose not to medicate her because it didn't seem to bother her much.
DS #1 had the type that was volumes of vomit. On an average day he would go through 12 bibs, 20 burp cloths, 3 outfits for himself and I would have to change at least 2 times as well. With each spit up he would soak 2 prefold diapers. He ate all the time because it made him feel better and was 20 lbs by 3 months. We chose not to medicate because he still seemed happy.
DS#2 NO GER!
Oliver is not happy when he spits like the first two. He screams and you can tell it is burning. It always follows by a severe case of the hic ups which makes it worse. He has been gaining fine 9 lbs 9 oz at 4 weeks up from 7 lbs 5 oz at birth. Doctor prescribed Reglan. It treats the sphincter at the top of his stomach and helps it to stay closed. This is my kids problem it is genetic from my husbands side. But the side effects of the drug freak me out and I am afraid to give it to him. A serious side effect is essentially baby gets Parkinson disease. Shaking uncontrollably. It is irreversible. Another doctor prescribed Nexium but I don't feel like that will help very much since it is really a valve issue not acid over production issue.

I have tried homeopathy and catnip tea, block feeding sleeping at 45 degree angle and everything else there is to try. As I said it is my 3rd baby with it and I chose not to medicate the other two.
I feel so torn. He is miserable and grumpy but I don't want to give medicine to my pure baby. Dh dosen't want to medicate my midwife (who is very much against most western medicine) thinks I should give it to him.

Any one else dealing with this? How did you make you decision?

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#2 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM

I don't really have advice for you, but I can only imagine how hard it is for you to make the decision. We are in the midst of figuring out if DS has reflux. We're on a 4 day trial of Zantac. He would scream all day long...horrible hiccups that made him cry....and he would yell when he did burp. I believe it's the silent kind though so we don't go through as many clothes.

I can't imagine what it is like for you guys, though. When I have to make a decision like this, I remember what my doula told me...when having to make a decision, she said to use your BRAIN...
B: Benefits
R: Risks
A: Alternatives
I: Intuition
N: Nothing (if you did nothing)

You weigh this all and see what you come up with. I hope that someone here has more experience and can help you make a decision.

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#3 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithK View Post
I don't really have advice for you, but I can only imagine how hard it is for you to make the decision. We are in the midst of figuring out if DS has reflux. We're on a 4 day trial of Zantac. He would scream all day long...horrible hiccups that made him cry....and he would yell when he did burp. I believe it's the silent kind though so we don't go through as many clothes.

I can't imagine what it is like for you guys, though. When I have to make a decision like this, I remember what my doula told me...when having to make a decision, she said to use your BRAIN...
B: Benefits
R: Risks
A: Alternatives
I: Intuition
N: Nothing (if you did nothing)

You weigh this all and see what you come up with. I hope that someone here has more experience and can help you make a decision.
Love it, thanks!

OP: I found this link from Dr. Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T106004.asp

This is what he has to say about Reglan:

Reglan (metclopramide). Side effects include restlessness, twitching, and fainting. Because of the frequency of unpleasant side effects, we seldom use this medication in our pediatric practice.

He recommends instead: Urecholine (bethanechol). He says, "Side effects include cramping and diarrhea. This is the medication we most commonly use in our practice."

Something to look into, maybe?

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Recognition of movement disorders: extrapyramidal side effects and tardive dyskinesias - Would you recognize them if you see them?

See "pedatric considerations" (If you haven't seen this already, it's very interesting)

One author (Anderson) recently met a toddler who was believed to be profoundly retarded while on metoclopramide. His “intractable seizures” stopped the day after withdrawal and he was walking and talking after several months of intense therapy (personal communications with parents and doctor).

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#5 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I knew I didn't feel good about it. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and see if I can try a different med.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#6 of 7 Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 AM

my oldest had sphincter issues. my (ex) dh would tell people that she had exorcist vomiting. she would seriously shoot vomit across the room and then be fine. she nursed non-stop and i was delirious when we finally went to the dr and he said she was allergic to my milk. UGH.

we tried every formula under the sun, even mixing them at different strengths and adding rice cereal. it was just something she had to grow out of but it seemed like it took forever. at 2 months, when the pediaidiot told me she was allergic to my milk, she was only 9 1/2 lbs and she was 7.1 at birth!

she finaaly outgrew it at about 6 months. s amelia is a spitter and it seems like you just get the clean outfit on and they barf. i swear, sometimes as i'm buttoning the last button, she hurls and we have to undress her and start over. some days i spend half the day in just my underwear because all of my c,othes that fit are pukey!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#7 of 7 Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 AM

I think Ds has it. He has all the signs. He hasn't been to a doc so he isn't "diagnosed" but he does the hiccup thing, screams after feedings, and spits up 6+ times after every feed. Dh and I decided we would medicate if he has weight gaining issues or is still screaming alot at 3 months. I hate the thought of medicated my baby too and those meds can cause other issues like constipation etc.
Dd had it also but she was a happy spitter so I never worried about it
I am also doing block feeding, keeping him upright after feedings, no dairy or tomat for me etc. He seems to be doing a bit better although last night was rough.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page