baby prefers one side - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-22-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've just noticed that dd prefers to turn her head to the right, also when she sleeps. She'll turn her head to the left if she wants to look at something, but she definitely prefers the right side.
Any other babies with this kind of preference? She doesn't have a flat spot on her head but I'm afraid she'll have one. How can I prevent this? TIA

caffix.gif

#2 of 18 Old 11-22-2009, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak
shouldnt be like that. she may have some pain take her to a chiropractor.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#3 of 18 Old 11-22-2009, 02:17 PM

I don't know. My kids have all been like that. Ds prefers to sleep with his head to the left. He doesn't show a breast preference yet, but my other two eventually did.

I haven't taken him to see the chiro yet, but that is because I don't want him exposed to all the extra germs right now. What am I gonna do, squirt a bottle of hand sanitizer on the table and rub it down? I don't see any indication of pain in him and didn't with the other two either. I kind of think it's normal really.
#4 of 18 Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 PM

My son was like that. I used a sleep positioner or rolled up blankets to create a wedge, and I'd try to get him to alternate sides. Nope! He would always turn his head to the preferred side, no matter what I did. Sorry, no advice on how to prevent it, but I think she's normal.

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#5 of 18 Old 11-22-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think she has any pain. She's been smiling and cooing, seems to be a happy baby.

caffix.gif

#6 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 12:20 AM

Craniosacral therapy can help with that. It's quite common, but can be an indication of a strain from birth. My dd has that too, and it can interfere with breastfeeding and cause their head to be misshapen. I am looking for a good craniosacral therapist myself.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#7 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 03:16 AM

It's funny you ask this...I was just noticing the same thing with DS. I have a check up to go to tomorrow so I was going to ask. Unfortunately, I think he is getting a flat spot, so I need to figure out what is going on. We'll probably also go to the chiropractor.

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#8 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 AM

I have been meaning to come back here. Since I last posted on this thread I started paying more attention to this stituation with ds. He has since been diagnosed with torticollis. After two adjustments it seems to be much better, but now we need to continue with cranio sacral therapy to try and correct what it did to the side of his head. It didn't take long for that to happen either. I hope it doesn't turn in to anything major.
#9 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I have been meaning to come back here. Since I last posted on this thread I started paying more attention to this stituation with ds. He has since been diagnosed with torticollis. After two adjustments it seems to be much better, but now we need to continue with cranio sacral therapy to try and correct what it did to the side of his head. It didn't take long for that to happen either. I hope it doesn't turn in to anything major.
I have seen it several times on babies I have helped birth. Chiro is amazing if it is too bad a little physical therapy(they actually have these headbands you can add weight to to pull their head to the constricted side) might help but most are fine by 1 year.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#10 of 18 Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

hi everyone, I didn't get too much time on the computer lately. I wanted to post an update, in case anyone else is going through the same thing.
I asked my doctor about it on her 2 mo check up, and he said most babies develop a preference at some point, but I should make sure she doesn't get a flat spot. Since then I've been putting her to sleep on the side she doesn't prefer (we co-sleep), showing her toys in the opposite direction, and her preference seems to fade.
tayndrewsmama, MeredithK, Pookietooth, I hope it is getting better. I know I'm sometimes going crazy with worry. My eldest is getting glasses and I think I got some new gray hair.
Take care

caffix.gif

#11 of 18 Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 AM

DD has a flat spot already, am seeking a good CST.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#12 of 18 Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
DD has a flat spot already, am seeking a good CST.
Ds does to, but it is not noticeable unless you look at him in the mirror. How strange is that? If you haven't already, I would try calling reputable chiros and massage therapists in the area and ask if they know anyone. I was referred by my chiro to a chiro with pediatric education and it just so happens that she is also a CST. Talk about dumb luck. I am very thankful for that. Too bad you don't live here.
#13 of 18 Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My DS prefers his right side. We started ECing when he was 6 weeks old, and I noticed his forehead developing a bulge on that side (like the bulge was most noticeable when I'd hold him in position to go potty, looking straight down at his head), so for a few days before his 2 month appointment, I'd encourage him to look the other direction.

At his appointment, his dr said that one side of his neck muscles might be a little tighter than the others and she sent me home w/ a couple of handouts on some stretches to do w/ him at home. He still prefers his right side, but not to the degree that he used to. I'm going to keep an eye on the forehead bulge as he grows. It already looks smaller than when I first noticed it.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#14 of 18 Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 PM

My middle ds always had his head to one side, turned out he had torticollis. Some Chiro work and neck massaging did the trick.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#15 of 18 Old 12-25-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

how is everyone? We took dd to our doctor and he said again not to worry, she has a very unnoticeable flat spot, but the doctor said his own daughter had one, not to worry, it will go away by itself.
How were your little ones diagnosed with torticollis? I'm not sure my doctor checked for that...

caffix.gif

#16 of 18 Old 12-25-2009, 04:53 PM

i highly reccomend a chiro for every baby whether they seem to be in pian, have a problem or not. you can have a subluxation in your neck and hardly notice it. if it is corrected before a probem starts then it is easier. please seek out a chiro with infant experience. all my children see a chiro from birth. DD2 saw him they i left the hosp with her. it helps with digestion, spitting up, sleeping, etc.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#17 of 18 Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

hi, I see everyone has been busy lately. How are your little ones? We have an appointment to see a chiropractor tomorrow.

caffix.gif

#18 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 PM

We are seeing huge improvements with ds. He has no restrictions with his neck movements and very little noticeable mishapen-ness to his head anymore. We switched to a pediatrician that does cranio-sacral therapy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page