Very late birth story! - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
MsVyky's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll try and keep my birth story short (my computer is still dead, need a whole new one, so I'm updating from the work computer ans nursing at the same time, lol)

Lyra June was born October 24 (her due date), 7 pounds, 9 ounces, 20.5" long by unplanned but non-emergency c-section

we were watching Grey's Anatomy (when I realized my PJs were wet. I figured I had peed a bit when I sneezed (don't laugh, i had a few episodes of pregnancy related stress incontinence), so i got up and changed and put a pad in my undies. ten minutes later i was wet again, so i took a look, thw fluid was clear and it didnt smell like pee.

So i called the grey nun's and asked if i should come in. because the clinic i went to didnt deliver there (I wanted to give birth at the grey nuns) I couldn't because of a bed shortage.

so i called the royal alex and they told me to come in, even though i wasn't in labor yet, because my membranes had ruptured and i had to be monitored for infection. I wasnt stoked, because i was planning a natural birth and wanted to labor at home. So i took my time getting all my things together, packing meals and snacks for my husband and I.

my water had broken around 10 pm, and the contractions started about an hour later. right from the get go they were 5 minutes apart and 1 minute long.

I was admittedf to the hospital around 4 am Friday morning. i was hooked up to th monitor to check my contractions and they did a nitrizine test to make sure it actually was my water. because i was still in very early labor, i wasnt admitted to l&d, and i had to go to antepartum, which sucks because there's no private rooms so visiting hours apply. so my husband had to leave unti 8 am. I didn't want to be alone with the ;ady I was sharing a room with- she was there for preterm labor, so we sat in the closed food court for 3 hours until he could come back to my room.

I was avble to sleep between contractions, but not through them, so I barely had any rest and I was getting pretty tired. My mom showed up to the hospital at 10 am to take Chris home to feed the dogs and cats and bring me a burger (My last craving was an A&W veggie burger, LOL)

When they got back a couple hours later, we walked around the hospital. At about 3 PM, they checked me and I was only 1 cm dilated. I felt pretty disappointed but I knew itr would take a while. by 5 pm, I still wasnt in active labor and i had a time limit since i was ruptured.

I agreed to a pitocin drip, even though it wasnt what i wanted, because I knew it was best for my baby. that was put in about 6:30 and i was moved to l&d. the contractions started coming hard- on top of each other, no rest.. I was checked again at 11pm. 2 cm. At that point I was in a lot of pain and no progression. I got really upset. I hadnt slept and the pit-contractions were awful.

i broke down and asked for morphine. how disappointing! morphine doesnt make anything less painful- it just made me stupid and forget, LOL. We have a 5 minute video of me talking about how beautiful the ceiling tiles were!

At 2 am, i was checked again, and I was 2 cm still. i had also spiked a fever of 102*, so my care was transferred to the on call OB. (my drs were gp's and dont do surgical birth). they called in the anesthetist to put in an epidural. they had 3 emergency sections to do before mine. so they cranked the pitocin to the maximum safe dose to get me to dilate in hopes that i could deliver vaginally.

At 10 to 5 am Staurday, I was 2.5 cm dilated. After nearly 31 hours of labor. My body had failed me.

I was wheeled into the OR, and Lyra was delivered at 5:22 am.

Because of my fever, they had to assume that I had an infection, and as such she needed to be treated as well, so after her cord was cut and she was cleaned up, they showed her to me (I couldn't even hold her because I was still being put back together and my arms were strapped to a board like some sick effigy of a crucifixion.)

She had to go to the NICU. I was devastated. Mu husband was allowed to show her to our parents who were waiting, but then she had to go upstairs

I didn't get to hold her until About 3pm. I got to waddle up there with my dysfuctional IV pole and catheter hanging out.

it broke my heart to see her in a plastic box with wires attached to her and ivs in her hand.

luckily she picked up on nursing very easily. she was released from the nicu the next afternoon. we got out of the hospital that monday night.

she had her well baby visit thisfriday at a day short of 4 weeks old and she weighed in at 8 pounds, 8 ounces- almost a full pound over birth weight!!!

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

MsVyky is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 5 Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Serenyd's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Natchez, MS
Posts: 2,379
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Congrats on your baby -- beautiful name!

 nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Serenyd is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 AM
stephanie95's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations! I am sorry things did not go as planned/hoped. Enjoy baby Lyra.

I have been wondering how you were doing especially since you are in my neck of the woods.

I hate those antepartum rooms. I spent 3 days in one at the Mis and then it became my post-partum room when there was a rush of babies.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

stephanie95 is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Spiralshell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm tearing up reading your birth story because, a few details different, it's much the same as mine.
The very worst part was having my baby go to the NICU and not being able to hold him for hours. I know just what that is like, and it is awful.
I hope that you are feeling better now, and that the NICU stay didn't adversely impact breastfeeding for you like it did for me.

Congratulations on the birth of your little one!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
Spiralshell is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM
tayndrewsmama's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 10,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! I am sorry things went that way, but very happy you are both well.
tayndrewsmama is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 16,565

42 members and 16,523 guests
agentofchaos , Boodah'smama , Bow , CricketVS , Dakotacakes , Deborah , Dovenoir , emmy526 , fljen , FyerFly , girlspn , happy-mama , healthy momma , hillymum , incorrigible , Iron Princess , IsaFrench , Jessica765 , jmillerandmellisa , Judy Arnall , kathymuggle , Kelleybug , KT'smama , Larabar , lerlisha , LibraSun , lisak1234 , mama24-7 , Minomana Babywearing Coat , momys1 , moominmamma , Nickarolaberry , scaramouche131 , Socks , stephaniepifer , SweetSilver , Xerxella , yassine
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.