Unshowered, uncombed, undressed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I now truly understand what people meant when they told me that there were days they forgot to brush their teeth!
I am unshowered. I smell like sweat, slightly sour milk, and baby. I really really need to pee, but damned if I'll get up and wake him (he's sleeping on my chest).
Earlier today during a few moments when he let me put him in the swing, I ran outside to the mailbox, uncombed, unshowered, in my pink pyjama pants with cherries on them. In previous days I would have been mortified... but today I will do what I must do!
He's a different baby every day... two days ago he happily slept in his pack'n'play for several hours letting me shower, clean, do laundry, and cook. Some days he'll gladly nap or just chill in his swing. Some days he'll sleep three hour stretches at night in his bassinet. Some days he'll fuss, but as long as I put him in the Moby, he'll relax and sleep. Last night he wouldn't settle unless he was being held. Today he's nursing or fussing or nursing or fussing... he didn't sleep more than 15-20 minutes from 10AM to 5PM. He would give me 5 min in the swing before the crying started, but wouldn't calm for the wrap. He would only be settled in my arms, being rocked and shusshed. He finally passed out on my chest and slept for real, and I got in a nap too for a while.
Meantime, I stink, I need to pee, there's laundry/bills/etc. to do, and I have only barely managed to grab food and water today. But I'm not moving as long as he's asleep!
Parenthood -- not for the faint of heart!

(But all of this is OK, really. In a few months he'll be a wiggly squirmy little guy and the days of him being cheek to breast, passed out on my chest with his little fists resting on me will be a memory. The shower will still be there, and the laundry too!)

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#2 of 13 Old 11-23-2009, 10:21 PM

You just reminded me I forgot to brush my teeth today. At least I didn't go out.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#3 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I know exactly what you mean! I'm soo lucky if I get a shower. Forget about actually having time to shave, pluck, or exfoliate anything!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#4 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 AM

I really have let it all go since becoming a mom........I REALLY need a makeover lol! We as mothers make so many sacrifices even when it comes to taking showers....I love it
#5 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM

my third son was a huge chest sleeper, his pressed into mine. he just turned six and lost his first tooth. i made it through the fog of his early weeks but all these years later what i remember more than the difficulties are the soft and sweet times that he slept on me, needed me.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 AM

i forgot to brush my teeth and my hair and it's nearly 11pm - oh and i stink!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#7 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 AM

I am lucky that we have a postpartum doula to come in 3 days a week; when she can't come I don't shower or brush my teeth unless it's the weekend. I pee with dd on me in the sling. Wiping can be hard...

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#8 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Welcome to motherhood, with ds I stressed about always looking presentable, having him dressed and ready for the day.
This time around basically screw it! I'm not stressing about anything! I'm just going to enjoy, stinky and all! LOL

JenaMom to ds & dd Proud to
#9 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 PM

A few days ago I smelled this sort of funky, earthy smell as I was holding ds and thought, Oh, he must need a diaper change. Then I put him down for a second and realized, Nooo... the smell was me. Now THAT was a humbling moment!

It's a measure of how much my life has changed that any day when I'm able to brush my teeth AND put in my contacts counts as a high-achieving day. And I totally relate to "different baby every day" -- this is so true for me! What works one day to keep him happy might not work the next day. I think a lot depends on luck and digestion, as much as anything I do.

However I agree, being stinky and frequently confused is well worth it to be able to hold him and cuddle him and hear his little squeaks and coos. Well, on a good day at least

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
#10 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 PM

I remember one LLL meeting where a pregnant first-time-mom-to-be was absolutely baffled by our lengthy discussion on how you can take a shower when you have a newborn/young baby. "Uh, just do it before your husband leaves, or put the baby in a bouncy seat, or something, right?" she said, obviously wondering what sort of brain damage we had all suffered. We couldn't really explain it, either. There's just that weird Baby Time Zone/Baby Priorities Zone that you tend to enter, and describing it is like describing childbirth. You can try, but it's hard to understand until you've gone through it.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#11 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM

I've been showering at 6am, after DS does his 5 am wake up and snack.

I had one of those non-sleeping baby days a few days ago, no Moby, no bouncy just holding Owen ALL Day. I was happy when DH got home.

I really try to at least wash my face and put my hair in pig tails if possible so I don't feel completely gross. It really helps my attitude, honestly for me it was harder to do anything at the end of pregnancy. Owen is a really mellow baby though, he isn't very fussy-he's really chill.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#12 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM

I shower every other day at night when the husband is home. On weekends I shower each day. That makes 4 showers a week. I'm conserving water!

Showering wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have to dry my hair and put some makeup on.
#13 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 PM

I don't check the mail anymore..... lol.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page