Traveling with Infant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-05-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some advice from those who have travelled with your baby already. Our daughter will be 7 weeks old at Christmas. My DP wants to travel to her family's gathering for the holiday - an 8 hour drive before having a baby.

To me this seems like a horrible idea - I'm imagining the 8 hour drive turning into a 12+ hour drive (I'm breastfeeding every few hours) and it breaks my heart to think about strapping the baby into a carseat for that long.

What do ya'll think? Is this manageable, or insane...?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

(x-posted in Parenting/Life with a Babe)
#2 of 7 Old 12-05-2009, 04:05 PM

Does she do well in the car? I agree, the drive will take a lot longer with a little one. My son always slept well in the car, so I never felt guilty about long drives.

joy.giflurk.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM

We are doing the (before baby) 10hr drive to my parents the day after X-mas. Throw in our two large dogs and we've got quite the trip ahead of us. We're used to stopping for the dogs and DD passes out in the car so I am not too stressed over it. It'll be long and we'll have to stop more but I think it will be fine.

Good luck if you go!!

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#4 of 7 Old 12-05-2009, 06:56 PM

We have done a number of longish (3-5 hour) drives with the baby since the week he was born. Two things that have really helped us is to leave the seat next to the car seat open, so I can sit with him if he gets fussy while husband drives. A lot of the time he just gets lonely. I also bring a hand pump and several bottles, so if he gets hungry at a time/ place that is inconvenient to stop, I can pump in the car (again, with husband driving) and feed him fresh, warm milk. These two things don't always help, but they solve about 70% of the issues. Can be a real help.

good luck!

Onward we ramble, and westward we ride!
#5 of 7 Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM

We just took Kara out of town for Thanksgiving, she was 5 weeks. She slept most of the way, and we made it there in 5 hours. We ended up stopping 1/2 hour from our destination. We stopped a couple of times on the way back, but it was later in the day. Try to leave around the baby's sleepiest time of day. I made the same trip with my first son when he was six weeks, and I pumped in the car and fed him a bottle when he was hungry, because we couldn't stop (last time I ride with my dad ).

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM

Regarding pumping in the car: I actually asked DH if there was an adapter we could buy that would allow me to bring our electric pump in the car. lol... If I can get away with that then I'm all for it!

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#7 of 7 Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 PM
pjs

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Sure it can be done, but that is a crazy long ride requiring a lot of effort. I'd imagine that if the people I wanted to see were worth that much effort, they'd be willing to come see me this year

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page