Iud question for oct ddc - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
kjs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any first or second hand experience with the copper IUD??? Seriously looking into it. I am running out of options here, and DH just not ready for vasectomy. Cannot do any synthetic hormones, got pregnant with diaphragm, NFP, and hate condoms. Can't do cervical cap, allergic to spermicide....anyone try or trying the copper IUD and hate/love it?
#2 of 8 Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 PM

I am in the SAME boat, but afraid of the IUD. I am afraid it will make my period even worse than it regularly is, which is horrible.
I'll be interested to hear the responses...
#3 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Have looked into it, this is what bothers me about it - Do not like the idea of having foreign object in my uterus. That it might puncture my uterus or cause pain during sex bothers me. I am afraid it might cause me to have more frequent uti's (a problem for me already) or a uterine infection. I don't usually have heavy periods but I am a vegetarian so it is hard enough for me to keep my iron levels up as it is without having to deal with extra blood loss. Risk of tubal pregnancy or intrauterine pregnancy with IUD still in place. The potential for copper toxicity, even though it is not supposed to cause that, I am still wary. Heavy metal poisoning is not cool.

I've had two friends tell me about their IUD problems (pain during intercourse and frequent UTI's) which has somewhat turned me off from wanting one as well.

So I'm stuck with condoms, monitoring my cycles, and LAM for now.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#4 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 AM

I had considered it in the past but recently had a friends who got pregnant with one in. She had a horrible time and was basically on edge thinking the baby wouldn't make it ect.. Continued on to have horrible pregnancy, pre-term labor ect.. All topped off with a horrible birth experience and her baby is now 5mos old and is still having some major problems.

Now I KNOW that it could be and probably is coincidence that her pregnancy and birth and after have all been complicated but It was enough to make me want to NEVER have one.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#5 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Well, I have an appt. to get one on the 30th. I'll try to remember to come back and let you know how it goes. DD was born Oct. 19th.

Cat - SAHM to Lilah 10-19-09! Happily Unmarried to DP Our new life =
#6 of 8 Old 12-24-2009, 01:36 PM

nak

Haven't posted much here but I've been lurking alot....

I had the copper IUD for 10 yrs, and am going in to get another one in a few weeks. I LOVED the IUD. I stopped the pill because the hormones were awful, I'm allergic to latex so condoms were out, and I didn't want to have to think about BC every day. The copper IUD was perfect for me.

Here are the highs and lows as far as my experience went:

- Insertion was not pleasant - felt like very heavy period cramps. But I expect getting the second one now that I've had a baby will be no big deal. Taking it out was quick and painless.

- It did cause HEAVY periods with cramping for the first three months after insertion. Like super absorbency tampon AND pad and needed to change frequently. After that, my periods returned to normal, which for me was not bad.

-I had my husband check the positioning for the first few months (I have short fingers and couldn't feel the string) to make sure it didn't slip down. I guess some people expel the IUD - but *usually* if that doesn't happen in first few months it won't happen (not always).

-After that, I didn't think about bc for 10 years.

-I never felt the IUD inside me, never had an infection, never had cramping or anything (that was due to the IUD).

- Once I had it removed and wanted to get pregnant, I succeeded in the second month - so fertility returned right away.

- I liked that if I did have issues with the IUD, I could have it removed at anytime. Not like hormonal bc where there will always be lag time for it to leave your system.
B

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#7 of 8 Old 12-27-2009, 07:17 AM

Used it twice. Loved it the first time. Second time I was also dealing with uterine prolapse so I don't think it was a good fit that time. I had pain and extra bleeding. DH got a vasectomy so don't have to worry about it again. I have several friends who use it and also love it.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#8 of 8 Old 12-27-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
kjs

Thanks for all the info!!! Lots to think about! You would think we would have better options by now- I mean they are putting people into outer space and cloning sheep!!! Why can't they have better birth control??? Like a pill for men that they take once every five years!!! JEEZ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page