baby gymnastics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2009, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, Roslyn is now doing complete back somersaults off my lap and landing on her feet. She's almost 11 weeks and has been doing this for a few weeks, but just added the standing landing this week. I had been rotating her so she'd end up sitting on the floor with her back to me.
whenever she's on sitting or standing on my lap facing me, she'll lean back, fold her legs up over her head, and flip over with me holding her at the shoulders, and land on the floor on her feet facing my knees. she does this completely on her own. I just support her.
normal, or is she gonna be a gymnast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 AM

I think little Roslyn is just destined to be a gymnast. I can't even picture this! All Lu does is the little back bendy stretching thing. You better enroll that girl in gymnastics as soon as she can walk!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 AM

What? 11 weeks and LANDING on her feet? I'm sorry, but I'm going to need a pic of this LOL

Mom to the best 4 little men ever! chicken3.gif
Old 12-28-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

of course I'm supporting her at the shoulders, but I am working on a video for youtube or FB. I'll repost when it's up...
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM

really?! I'd like to check that out. Sydney throws herself around a lot but she doesn't have anywhere near the control to actually try to flip herself and she'll be 3 months tomorrow. (She's technically 13 weeks)

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 AM

Would LOVE to see a YouTube video of THIS!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

ok, here they are. she was a little tired but you can get the gist...

this one has the better landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxLp7tGysLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xwV6A_CQY
Old 12-29-2009, 04:50 AM

It says the videos are private?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 PM

Wow, she sounds like an active baby!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
It says the videos are private?

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

ok, sorry. I fixed the videos so they are public now. they should work I hope! let me know...
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Very Cute!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 AM

10/10! Adorable.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Very cute baby, but you are flipping the baby, the baby is doing nothing. I'm sure she is a very wonderful baby nevertheless. Just enjoy her, they grow up so fast.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 AM

Cute!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Very cute baby, but you are flipping the baby, the baby is doing nothing. I'm sure she is a very wonderful baby nevertheless. Just enjoy her, they grow up so fast.
: She looks like she's kicking her legs and pushing off your belly, which is normal for babies to do and then you are flipping her over with the help of gravity. I'm not denying she's a cute kid and active and she probably even loves that, but she's not doing it herself. Watch out cause she'll really be flipping and climbing all over you before you know it!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

she actually is going over by herself. she leans back and then either bends at the hips so both her legs go over at once, or she kicks and goes with the momentum. I have a video of her when she didn't kick hard enough and got stuck upside down b/c I can't actually flip her or I'll break my wrists (they just don't turn that much). I just let her rotate and I "spot" her over. I do help her balance when she lands, but the day she put her feet down on landing herself floored me (so to speak). But she does put them in standing position and bears her weight.

I can see that it's hard to tell if I'm initiating her going backwards or following her lead. I am in fact following her, but you can't tell really from a video that that is the case. She always took the lead with this, I just allowed her to do it. I would never try to get a baby to do this if they weren't already going for it themselves. that would be dangerous - don't try this at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilamus View Post
: She looks like she's kicking her legs and pushing off your belly, which is normal for babies to do and then you are flipping her over with the help of gravity. I'm not denying she's a cute kid and active and she probably even loves that, but she's not doing it herself. Watch out cause she'll really be flipping and climbing all over you before you know it!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

you can see she gets stuck and can't get over in this one. you can also see that I can't rotate her all the way over with my wrists and arms in this position without also bending practically upside down my self as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgi2KLCGyB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyakshi View Post
she actually is going over by herself. she leans back and then either bends at the hips so both her legs go over at once, or she kicks and goes with the momentum. I have a video of her when she didn't kick hard enough and got stuck upside down b/c I can't actually flip her or I'll break my wrists (they just don't turn that much). I just let her rotate and I "spot" her over. I do help her balance when she lands, but the day she put her feet down on landing herself floored me (so to speak). But she does put them in standing position and bears her weight.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I imagine if you do this with a baby who is doing nothing, all you'll get is a wiggling blob of baby hanging in various stages of sideways/upside down.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

I've done this with my (slightly older) babies when we were goofing around. As long as you have enough momentum, they'll go right over. You have to be pretty careful about their shoulders.

I can see that you two are enjoying each other, and she's really cute. It doesn't really matter if it represents an unusual accomplishment for her age or not. It's perfectly OK to show off simply because you have a sweet giggly 3 month old whose mama loves her.

Before they're independently mobile, there's not much that's considered truly remarkable in babies' gross motor skills. They're all just so creative and wiggly.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 PM

DDC crashing... super cute! It will be so cool to show her that when she is older!

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 PM

Crashing (again) but be careful- that is exactly how a friend of mine dislocated their baby's shoulder. Not fun. What a cute baby!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

it also explains why I had such m/s all 9 months - if she was doing this the whole time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I've done this with my (slightly older) babies when we were goofing around. As long as you have enough momentum, they'll go right over. You have to be pretty careful about their shoulders.

I can see that you two are enjoying each other, and she's really cute. It doesn't really matter if it represents an unusual accomplishment for her age or not. It's perfectly OK to show off simply because you have a sweet giggly 3 month old whose mama loves her.

Before they're independently mobile, there's not much that's considered truly remarkable in babies' gross motor skills. They're all just so creative and wiggly.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:27 PM

She is SO cute!!! Thanks for sharing!

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

i have removed the videos as I am getting some truly rude, obnoxious, and ignorant comments on youtube. I don't know if they're from users from this forum, or random youtube users, but it is totally unacceptable to post comments like that in relation to any baby. so, no more videos
Old 01-01-2010, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyakshi View Post
i have removed the videos as I am getting some truly rude, obnoxious, and ignorant comments on youtube. I don't know if they're from users from this forum, or random youtube users, but it is totally unacceptable to post comments like that in relation to any baby. so, no more videos
People posting to be careful of how you are flipping her and saying that she is not doing it on her own are not rude and obnoxious. She is only a baby, just enjoy her and don't worry about her growing up so fast.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

you know, I originally posted b/c my baby DID something ON HER OWN that I thought was great. So I asked other moms here if it was normal/common/usual.
THEN, forum users ASKED ME for video, (or baited me apparently), which I then provided.
then, I got a bunch of crap about how she's not doing it herself blah blah blah, which she certainly is, and apparently people are just jealous and therefore must deny it.
It is also not dangerous for her - I am a dancer and former gymnast and a massage therapist with a degree in anatomy and applied kinesthetics and I know what I'm doing in spotting her. and I am careful of her shoulders.
IF you do this with a baby who is not doing this herself you WILL injure them.

I am disappointed and disgusted with the unsupportive attitude I've gotten in response to a simple question I had about MY baby's OWN development. It's not what I've come to expect in this forum.

Quote:
People posting to be careful of how you are flipping her and saying that she is not doing it on her own are not rude and obnoxious. She is only a baby, just enjoy her and don't worry about her growing up so fast.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM

I really don't think anyone baited you. I responded that "I'd like to see that" b/c my DD is a few weeks older and doesn't have the head or neck control to do that so I was a little skeptical from the beginning. One other user said "I'd love to see a youtube vid of that" and the next response is you posting the pics. It's not as if the whole board came on and begged you to post the vids. I was curious to see what you were describing as I think PP were too.

If you think your DD is doing that by herself then believe that and enjoy that. But you DID ask if it's normal and for her age it's not. In the video it's not clear that she is doing it by herself to us the viewers.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to react so defensively, the responses you were getting were coming from a good place a place of concern for your baby's safety. No one is accusing you of being a bad mom, just expressing concern to keep that cute little baby safe.

-Woodie Guthrie
Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

I am responding specifically to comments that got posted on youtube, and some that did not get posted there because I changed my settings so I could approve comments, and obviously did not approve a couple really incendiary ones. it's so weird to me, I don't know why anyone would have such a negative response to this and attack me personally and deny what she is doing...
anyway, I appreciate the interest in my question about her ability, and the constructive comments/responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilamus View Post
I really don't think anyone baited you. I responded that "I'd like to see that" b/c my DD is a few weeks older and doesn't have the head or neck control to do that so I was a little skeptical from the beginning. One other user said "I'd love to see a youtube vid of that" and the next response is you posting the pics. It's not as if the whole board came on and begged you to post the vids. I was curious to see what you were describing as I think PP were too.

If you think your DD is doing that by herself then believe that and enjoy that. But you DID ask if it's normal and for her age it's not. In the video it's not clear that she is doing it by herself to us the viewers.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to react so defensively, the responses you were getting were coming from a good place a place of concern for your baby's safety. No one is accusing you of being a bad mom, just expressing concern to keep that cute little baby safe.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 AM

All babies do things in their own ways. My DD loved to hang upside down. I would get comments about how I shouldn't do that or I had to be careful. I would just remind people that she spent the last many weeks upside down and she was happiest that way. It was one of the few surefire ways to get her to stop crying.

I saw your video. I thought she looked cute. I don't think you were putting her in harms way. I assume that as a reasonably intelligent parent you aren't going to do something that will cause harm or injury to your very precious child.

Unfortunately when we post things on the internet we are inviting others to comment. People who might have commented without being in this forum would not have the benefit of "knowing" anything about you. I just disregard that kind of comment. There is no point in wasting any emotions on that.

If it makes you feel better, my husband's 92 year old aunt spent Christmas Eve telling me I shouldn't let the baby get held too much because he'll be spoiled. Jeeze he's not even 3 months old. She told me several times to go lay him down in a bedroom so he gets used to being alone. Um, I don't think so. Of course that's nothing compared to comments I got when I was a young single mom 14 years ago.

As you move through your parenting journey, you will see how many people like to give their opinions, solicited or not. Eventually, one develops a thicker skin, perhaps even a few callouses in areas. (I am learning this still with a teenager.) Be confident in yourself, your ability and your relationship with your baby. Don't let comments from strangers cause you duress. It just isn't worth it.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

User Tag List