Help! Green Poo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is kinda icky, but we are having poo-issues.

Case in point (I really hope this isn't against the UA)
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2239747_n.jpg

Hindmilk imbalance? Virus? Dairy sensitivity? I started block feeding last night, and it was slightly less green than last night, but could that also be from not having dairy over night?

Should I be worried? Reason to call the ped for an emergency visit? I don't want to leave it until after the new year if it's serious.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#2 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Isn't green poo scary?! We have this everyday and from everything I read and all the people I've asked, it's normal. Like you said, it can be an imbalance. It could also be a virus just passing through. Is your LO fine otherwise?

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#3 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

she's a little cranky, but by no means inconsolable or 'colicky'. a few boogers here and there too, but no fever or any other symptoms.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#4 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 PM

In my experience, green poo usually indicates too much foremilk. I believe block feeding will clear that up. I also will limit the baby to 5 minutes on one boob and then as long as he wants on the other. If you notice a change in the poo, then you'll know that's what it was. I found that the poo could change from feed to feed in the early days when a poop was produced with each feed. HTH

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#5 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 PM

It can indicate too much foremilk, but it also can mean absolutely nothing. If it's just occasional, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#6 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

it's been that color for at least a week now. I just couldn't decide if it was actually green or a normal variant on yellow. I made an appointment with her ped for tomorrow morning. The nurse didn't seem to be worried about it.

#7 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM

most likely, the ped won't be able to tell you what to do either. if you block feed, be careful. it can really jack with your supply. i just do what dr newman says to do: offer the baby one breast till she is done then offer the second one. if she doesn't empty the second one, be sure to offer it first the next feeding. good luck. millie's poop is anywhere from flourescent green to carrot orange!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#8 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM
pjs

i would try block feeding. it will take a few feedings/poops to return to yellow. I can always tell when my lo is going to have green poop.
#9 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
i would try block feeding. it will take a few feedings/poops to return to yellow. I can always tell when my lo is going to have green poop.
Yep. I think block feeding is a great idea. I know Dr. Newman and others recommend nursing until one breast is empty but I can't tell when either of my breasts are empty and I don't truly think they ever are. there are times when one side has more than the other but they both always have milk. (I have oversupply issues). Anyway, Sydney had this same issue a few weeks back and we just did block feeding and it cleared up. The only reason I really did it was because she was extra gassy b/c of the foremilk.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#10 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 04:08 PM

I block feed and my LO still has green poo a good 80% of the time. He otherwise seems just fine so I am not worried about it, there doesn't seem to be any logical explanation.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#11 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

we went to the pediatrician this morning, and he said the only time to worry about poo is when there is blood in it.

He says it's likely something that I'm eating that's bugging her tummy, which would explain the fussiness too. He suggested I cut out a lot of gas-causing foods like beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc (Truthfully, ain't gonna happen, I'm veggie). I'm going to cut back a LOT on the dairy though. Just cream in my morning coffee (We've been very cheese heavy over the holidays)

#12 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Interesting....do you feel better now that you went? Yeah, cutting out those foods would be almost impossible as a veggie!

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#13 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 PM

we have green poo and orange poo daily - even within a couple hours of each other. I don't get it. maybe dairy? maybe normal?
#14 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

I feel relieved that it's nothing serious, but I'm almost a little offended by the way my ped told me not to call unless the poo was bloody.

My bad. I've just never been a mom before is all.

#15 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 PM

I wouldn't worry about the ped's reaction. You are allowed a few visits just to ease your mind!

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#16 of 16 Old 12-31-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post
we went to the pediatrician this morning, and he said the only time to worry about poo is when there is blood in it.

He says it's likely something that I'm eating that's bugging her tummy, which would explain the fussiness too. He suggested I cut out a lot of gas-causing foods like beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc (Truthfully, ain't gonna happen, I'm veggie). I'm going to cut back a LOT on the dairy though. Just cream in my morning coffee (We've been very cheese heavy over the holidays)
It's almost definitely the dairy more than the "gas inducing" veggies. I think you're making a good call by cutting back on that rather than the vegs.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page