*update* Amelia has bronchiolitis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She had a slight cough since Christmas, but these past 2 days have been bad. She spiked a 102 fever last night and started wheezing so we went to the ER today. Her nasal swab was posiive for RSV and she has bronchiolitis and an ear infection. They gave me an inhaler to give her every 4 hours, but if she's not better in a couple of days we have to get admitted to the hospital

I fel so bad for her when they were poking and prodding her. I just wanted to pick her up and run out of there. She's sleeping soundly now but I'm anervous wreck and I am ready to drop from exhaustion.

*UPDATE 12/31*

We ended up in the E.R. again today. When we went to the pediatrician this morning her temp was 95. We redid all the tests, had a few nebulizer treatments and they gave her an i.v. since she was dehydrated. We are very lucky to be home but the doctor said we were thisclose to be admitted. I'm afraid we will be tomorrow, since DD is not BFing as much and is not having a good amount of wet diapers. Her temp is also dropping again. I am so farking scared

*UPDATE 1/4*
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Amelia was dehydrated again, but we did not get admitted to the hospital, thankfully. Unfortunaltely my supply is almost gone from the days when she was too weak to nurse. I am not getting anything when I pump, and I don't even feel a letdown when I nurse her anymore. I have been putting her to the breast every hour, but she's never satisfied with it. I am drinking Mother's milk tea again, and tomorrow I am sending DH for fenugreek. Does anyone have suggestions on how to boost my supply?

We have been using her inhaler less and less, which is great. The doctor said it sounds like she is clearing up, although she did lose weight. She said as long as she stays hydrated Amelia is just fine!

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 PM

Oh Stephanie! How sad for both of you. I hope she feels better soon! Keep us updated.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#3 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 PM

oh no! hang in there!
Sending healing thoughts to your little one!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#4 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM

mama.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#5 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 PM

My middle ds had RSV and Bronchiolitis when he was 5 weeks and he was hospitalized for 4 days. I hope that she can recover on her own! It is VERY scary when they have breathing troubles. I had to bring ds is 3 times to the ER before he was finally admitted and his o2 stats were in the low 80's.

HUGS

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#6 of 20 Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope she feels better soon.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#7 of 20 Old 12-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Aw I am so sorry! I know what you mean about wanting to just run out of there. When I took Talula back for her PKU test and then again later for her vax I just felt so defensive and angry that she was hurting. When she is even the slightest bit uncomfortable I feel so heartbroken and all 'mama bear' about it.

I sincerely hope she recovers very quickly and doesn't have to be hospital.

I guess I've been feeling sort of invincible since I am breastfeeding and it's scary to hear of babies in my DDC getting sick. Just curious, are you exclusively breastfeeding? I've just recently heard of some other moms who are EBF and having sick babies. Jeez...it makes me feel like it wouldn't matter if I supplemented with formula and I think about what an amazing break it'd be.

Feel better sweet little Amelia...
#8 of 20 Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Friendlee- yes we've been exclusively BFing. I too felt invincible, this is a humbling experience.

lilstinkyfeet-This was her second time there and her o2 stats were in the low 90's. I almost felt like either admit her or make her better already!

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#9 of 20 Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 AM

Well just keep doing what you're doing. It's all you can do. She has to pull out of it sooner or later, so why not sooner. We're all pulling for you.
#10 of 20 Old 01-01-2010, 02:43 AM

to you. We are exclusively bfing and nobody has gotten sick, knock on wood. But I take lots of cod liver oil, vitamin D, and we haven't gotten out much,

#11 of 20 Old 01-01-2010, 12:34 PM

big hugs stephanie and amelia!!!! hoping she feels better, soon!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#12 of 20 Old 01-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Hi- I am not in your ddc but couldn't read this and not post. My dd was born 10/25/07 and we spent our new years day in the er and finally got admitted to the hospital and eventually the ICU for five days...The culprit? RSV. There was a homeopathic remedy that we used the day we went into the ICU- antimonium tartaticum and I swear her breathing improved from that moment on. If there is any way to get your hands on that remedy it may really help your little one clear that gunk out.

When we made our first trip to the ER we were told to watch out for certain breathing difficulties- you know, if a-b-c occurs then go to the ER...I will assume that they told you the same but if not I would be happy to post them here if it would help.

My heart is with you.
Summer

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#13 of 20 Old 01-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Can you pump and try alternate feeding methods? Is she too weak to nurse? mama
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...ss.html#strike
Lots of skin to skin can help
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health...aroo_Care.aspx
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/kangaroocare.asp

#14 of 20 Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Yes do pump! I didn't pump while in the hosptial with ds, he didn't really eat much of anything for a little over a week and I totally lost my supply.

BIG HUGS TO YOU

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#15 of 20 Old 01-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenmoon View Post
Hi- I am not in your ddc but couldn't read this and not post. My dd was born 10/25/07 and we spent our new years day in the er and finally got admitted to the hospital and eventually the ICU for five days...The culprit? RSV. There was a homeopathic remedy that we used the day we went into the ICU- antimonium tartaticum and I swear her breathing improved from that moment on. If there is any way to get your hands on that remedy it may really help your little one clear that gunk out.

When we made our first trip to the ER we were told to watch out for certain breathing difficulties- you know, if a-b-c occurs then go to the ER...I will assume that they told you the same but if not I would be happy to post them here if it would help.

My heart is with you.
Summer
I second the antimonium. It works wonders with loosening plegm and making coughs more productive!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#16 of 20 Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Hope your dd is getting better : (

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#17 of 20 Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 PM

Stephanie-I keep checking back for an update. I assume Amelia was admitted by your absence. I hope everything is okay and that Amelia is improving. Give yourself a hug from me. I'm sorry this is so scary.

#18 of 20 Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM

thinking of you steph and amelia!!!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#19 of 20 Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 AM

Really hope she is ok!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#20 of 20 Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM

Gosh, I sure hope she's ok. She must still be in the hospital!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page