evening developmental bursts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if babies make leaps and bounds in neurological development in the evening hours.
Roslyn seems to "wake up" around 6 and jabbers more and more, and also cluster feeds, screams, naps for 20 minute spans but won't go "down" to bed til midnight.
I wonder if these are the hours that the brain is making new connections, or if they're afraid of the dark/night?
She's 3 months and I think we're seeing a new baby coming out of the 4th trimester...
#2 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 AM

It was my understanding that newborns were used to being active in the evening and at night because that was how they were in the womb. While mom is awake she is moving around, and that movement "rocked" baby to sleep. When mom slept and wasn't moving around, baby woke up and would be more active.

joy.giflurk.gif

#3 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

OMG - is she teething? she is drooling like mad, eating her hands & wrists & my wrists and DH's fingers. I thought she had just discovered her hands, but I just read that it can be from teething. I didn't expect this for months.
they say any new upset affects them more at night...
#4 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 AM

I'm experiencing the exact same stuff suddenly...fist chewing, evening chatter, midnight bedtime...!
#5 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM

us too. Lyra is soaked in saliva. I finally found a use for the pile of bibs collecting dust in the cupboard (Why buy a new baby a bib?). Mashing her hands in her mouth and lots of crying too.
I gave her Hyland's teething tablets and the irritability seemed to wane a bit.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#6 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM

I've heard that a magnesium deficiency (in the mom) can cause evening fussiness. There is a product called Natural Calm that is magnesium citrate in its most easily absorbed form. I take it for migraines. They have a baby version, but I wouldn't start that until after solids are introduced. You could just try it yourself, taking it about an hour before the fussiness usually starts.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page