definitely teething - 3 month old- pain remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Roslyn is definitely teething. she's 12 weeks and 4 days. I have a call in to the pediatrician to find out if Infant tylenol and oragel are ok but haven't heard back yet. plus the teething homeopathic drops say for 4 months and over. I did get a freezable teether for her but she makes a weird face.
do you think these are okay meds to give in lower doses for 3 month olds?

I am sure she's teething b/c she's:
-drooling
-sucking/biting her hand
-awake all evening
-appears to be soothed when she bites my fingers between the front of her top and bottom jaws
-she smiles after I let her suck/bite on frozen green beans when she had been crying just before
-nursing really often - every hour
-not sleeping well at night or naps - awaking fussy and must nurse every 30 min.-1 hour
-fussing like in hunger but not taking the breast
-playing with her ears and putting both fists to her cheeks and fussing
-her gums feel sharp and look whitish on top
#2 of 26 Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 PM

I've read that the teethers are too hard for babies as young as ours and that the orajel just slides off their gums and isn't of much help. However, I've heard great things about Hyland's Teething Tablets (haven't tried them yet, but we have them) and also that you can dampen the corner of a clean wash cloth and freeze it for a soft, but soothing chew toy. That, I have tried and Lu loves to gum at it. She's not teething as bad as Roslyn is, but I have a feeling that in the next few weeks she will be. I will likely try the tablets then, but I'm a little nervous to put "2 to 3 tablets" in her mouth! It seems like they could choke on them, but I doubt the company would encourage you to do something that could make the baby choke. *shrugs*
#3 of 26 Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 PM

We are in the same boat, and the teething tablets seem to work as a good short- term remedy

Do you have an amber teething necklace?

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#4 of 26 Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 PM

There are a couple of different single homeopathic remedies that we use: chammomilia and pulsatilla. I buy the 30C strength. You have to crush them up between two spoons, dissolve them in purified water, and feed them that. The hyland's teething tablets dissolve very fast -- they are quick dissolve - so no choking hazard, but they didn't work all that well for ds (the gel version seemed to help for a little while)

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#5 of 26 Old 01-09-2010, 01:14 AM

Don't worry about the Hyland's choking them. They are a soft powdery tablet that turns into paste on contact with baby saliva.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#6 of 26 Old 01-09-2010, 02:45 AM

I followed the directions on the box that said to dissolve them in a teaspoon of water. I give them to Lyra in a dropper.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#7 of 26 Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 AM

I found homeopathic drops to work like a charm. It's called Camillia by Boiron. I also use their gas drops and congestion drops. I really like their packaging because it's sterile dose units. My DD used to bite me until I bled. I'd give her this before nursing and it stopped all her biting.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#8 of 26 Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM

I am using some Tylenol or ibuprofen-it is just fine as long as she is in the weight ratios. Owen at his last weight check was 12lbs12oz, so he is big enough to get a dosage in the 12-17 lb range. I called and talked to my dr and she said it was more of a weight thing than an age thing. We also use the Hyland's teething. I really didn't want to do pain meds, but when my son is SCREAMING his head off and is normally the most laid back baby ever it's obvious he really friggin hurts. Within 15 minutes of a dose of pain meds he was much happier, he then eats and goes to sleep.

Teething sucks. My DD teethed until she was 2.5, from 3.5 months, I am sooooo not looking forward to a repeat, but it looks like I am.
Becky Babel likes this.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#9 of 26 Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. I got homeopathic drops which don't have belladonna as those are supposedly controversial even though it's homeopathy. they seem to help. she sleeps better anyway.
the ped said no on the oragel and ok on tylenol sparingly. I had given her oragel already and she slept for 2 hour straight afterwards.. hmmmmm
I also do the frozen washcloth which she likes. she doesn't like the teether - it's too big. she likes frozen green beans too, but - choking hazard...

I keep looking for those teeth!
#10 of 26 Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 AM

I am curious about belladonna. Why is it controversial? I think the teething stuff I use has it. Maybe I need to find a new product.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#11 of 26 Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyakshi View Post
thanks. I got homeopathic drops which don't have belladonna as those are supposedly controversial even though it's homeopathy. they seem to help. she sleeps better anyway.
the ped said no on the oragel and ok on tylenol sparingly. I had given her oragel already and she slept for 2 hour straight afterwards.. hmmmmm
I also do the frozen washcloth which she likes. she doesn't like the teether - it's too big. she likes frozen green beans too, but - choking hazard...

I keep looking for those teeth!
Interesting on the oragel-my Dr said it was fine as long as you use common sense with it, due to the fact if you use too much it can suppress the gag reflex of small babies.

Do you have one of those mesh anti-choke bags? You could put the green beans in that, we loved ours with DD those things rock. When DD teethed and was eating foods we put frozen peaches in it, she loved that. We pretty much put any food we were eating in it.

#12 of 26 Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM

camilia by boiron vote here too
can use it from 2mths on
callum was a terrible teether and this helped
as did taking small wash cloths - soaked in water and freezing them to chew on
he teethed for months and cut 5 teeth in 2 days at 7mths while we were on vacation

this one is dealing with teething much better. but we have camilia - always

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#13 of 26 Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie95 View Post
I am curious about belladonna. Why is it controversial? I think the teething stuff I use has it. Maybe I need to find a new product.
belladonna itself can be toxic, but in homeopathy everything is succussed (SP?) meaning diluted to the tiniest degree, and it's an energetic effect from the herb that's delivered. so, I doubt Hyland's is toxic, but a heard a ped mention they had a patient who had symptoms of toxicity from it, but it cold have been unrelated. some Ped's don't understand how they make homeopathic remedies. It's not a straight dose like as in chinese herbs or regular herbs.
#14 of 26 Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM

So Lu started crying last night and, unlike her, she wouldn't stop. I decided to just pop in a Hyland's tablet and she IMMEDIATELY stopped crying and SMILED! I could not believe how instant and positive the results were!
#15 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM

dr. sears has med charts for doses by weight.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T089900.asp

joy-what is the name of the stuff you got that doesn't have belladonna in it?

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#16 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post

TY-for the link, I always have the children's versions of these, but needed to know doses.

#17 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

they are called Gentle Naturals Homeopathic Teething Drops, made by Church & Dwight Co. they have disney characters on the bottle and I got them at Walgreens.
they have chamomila (4 strengths), calcarea phosphorica, kali phosphoricum, magnesia phosphorica, staphysagria.
they seem to work well.
#18 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
they are called Gentle Naturals Homeopathic Teething Drops, made by Church & Dwight Co. they have disney characters on the bottle and I got them at Walgreens.
they have chamomila (4 strengths), calcarea phosphorica, kali phosphoricum, magnesia phosphorica, staphysagria.
they seem to work well.
you're welcome, norasmom!

thank you, joy. good to know i can get them at walgreens, too. every time dh goes to the whole foods store for me, they are OUT of what i need. i hate using big box, but sheesh i can't have him make 100 trips to find my herbs!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#19 of 26 Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
-she smiles after I let her suck/bite on frozen green beans when she had been crying just before
I would wait on the frozen green beans until she shows readiness for solids.

DD likes her Sophie the Giraffe toy that is a teether. It's natural and all that, and easy to grasp.

#20 of 26 Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 AM

Saw this in the WAHM market forum:
http://footprintsbaby.com/index.php?...roducts_id=101

#21 of 26 Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post

Thanks for posting that. I have been looking for an online chart for Tylenol for babies!

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#22 of 26 Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM

mine is drooling and chewing her hands! 13 weeks tomorrow

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#23 of 26 Old 01-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post
Do you have an amber teething necklace?
How does that work?

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#24 of 26 Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM

Amber is awesome. I hardly noticed my son teething, and he has worn a necklace since he was 3 months old. DS2, who was 4 months on Monday has been wearing one for 2 months now. My dad wears one for head aches and my sister wears one around her waist for back aches. I LOVE amber.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to endorse, but I get mine from inspiredbyfinn.com.

From her website:

"When baltic amber is worn on the skin, the skin’s warmth releases trace amounts of healing oils from the amber. These oils contain succinic acid and are absorbed into the skin.

Baltic Amber has some of the highest concentrations of Succinic Acid found in nature, and this is what makes it so special. Succinic Acid is a natural component of plant and animal tissues, and it's presence in the human body is beneficial in many ways. "

Use the coupon code: "78" and you'll get 10% off everything she sells. The woman who owns it is extremely helpful, and there are always sales on other things. I tried the hazelwood necklaces for heartburn this pregnancy, and didn't suffer nearly as much as I did with DS1. Not sure if it was the hazelwood, but I'll wear it again next pregnancy, just in case!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#25 of 26 Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Ki has been working on her first tooth for 3 weeks now!! Im ready for the sucker to pop through. i had been using tylenol and it seemed to help some but last night I finally got to CVS and picked up some Hylands teething tablets and I am amazed how much happier she is this morning AND she has been sleeping almost 4 hours this morning now!! YOO HOO!
#26 of 26 Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 PM

i ordered an amber necklace from amberartisans. i am going to get it in a week yet, and cant wait. DD2 is drooling and everything. i read the amber helps with the drooling and the drool acne too. i wear an amber necklace for my neck pain. sometimes i put it on DD1 it seems to make her less whiny.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page