Cio - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who had a baby when we did and she is letting him CIO already. OMG, he still needs lots and lots of attention!! It really bothers me, I want to say something, but its not my place to say it. So I have to complain on here. Thanks for listening.

Does anyone watch Modern Family? This weeks episode had a Ferberizing skit. I couldn't stand to watch it!!! I hate to see poor babies crying for attention.

They grow up so fast, hold them before they dont want to be held anymore.

Mama to & +:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Maybe you could *gently* point her to a study or something that shows it's not good. I'll admit with our DD we tried CIO when she was 8 months-it went against everything in my being, we stopped instantly, then I started reading about why it was detrimental to a babe.

Poor baby

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 AM

Oh, that is so sad Our babies are still so very small! Nate really only sleeps well when he's being held, and I am OK with that. I will do whatever he needs to get the best sleep (for both of us, honestly!) DP says that he wants attention, but I like to say that he needs company.
DP has been told by everyone he works with that we will have NO choice but to cry it out... ugh. He seems to get all of his parenting info from the peanut gallery of other dads at work! I will do all I can to get him to understand that we can do this a different way! Also, he's so loving and attentive to Nate that I really think that when "the time comes" he wouldn't have the ability to let him CIO even if he wanted to. (Plus, I wouldn't let him of course!)

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM

i have a friend i have travelled with in the past and her first was born in november

she asked me my opinion on cio and i told her flat out what i thought in terms of how harmful it can be. she was looking to justify cio basically. i ended up not being gentle in any way as i thought it was manipulative to ask for an opinion when you don't really want an opinion, you just want an ok from someone.

i did say if she really wanted to do cio to at least wait until babe was much older but nope.

her choice but seriously don't even bother telling me about it if you are just going to do it.

so mamatopeach, i SO totally feel your frustration and being upset for that poor little baby!!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralshell View Post
Oh, that is so sad Our babies are still so very small! Nate really only sleeps well when he's being held, and I am OK with that. I will do whatever he needs to get the best sleep (for both of us, honestly!)
everett is a lot like this - or lying beside one of us in bed. thankfully, dh loves doing the family bed thing...it was actually his idea with ds1!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM

amelia is a chest sleeper, too. she fusses sometimes, to the point of puking, but there's nothing we can do about it. sometimes she just cries no matter what and it's gut wrenching! i can not imagine doing that with her alone in another room!!! hugs mamatopeach!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 AM

I think people who do that without even knowing that it's for older babies are just trying to find an excuse not to parent their babies. It's probably really a sadistic streak in them, IMHO.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamatoPeach View Post
Does anyone watch Modern Family? This weeks episode had a Ferberizing skit. I couldn't stand to watch it!!! I hate to see poor babies crying for attention.
I have oversupply! My husband was watching this, I was doing stuff at my desk.....all of the sudden my boobs started to hurt...my letdown feels like knives are stabbing me!

It drives me nuts when I see babies that are crying and parents are just sitting there...crying is their only mode of communication. I don't know how many times our kids have cried and it was a poopy bum, they're thirsty, or we forgot their stuffed toy they sleep with. I seriously cannot imagine ignoring their cries when they are trying to communicate these things.

That being said, our 2 year old has definitely cried to try and get out of bed and play....BUT I am confident that I know her well enough that I know when she is trying to get extra playtime and when she actually needs something.

For those that are anti-CIO and know pro-CIO here is an awesome blog that tells a story....read till the end as there is an explanation. I love it, my heart was aching for the woman in this story and its one I will keep and forward on when people tell me to do CIO (which I think with my son, people will....he needs me to fall asleep, sometimes needs me there to sleep)

just let her cry
Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the link, I shared it on my Facebook page. I wonder if it made people think?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 AM

You're welcome Here's more...this story is true, its about a conversation between herself and her mom....

Hell No CIO!

User Tag List