Anyone else unable to wear thier baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tried a few different carries to wear my LO but no matter what I use I end up hurting my back. I have a horrible upper back and even after wearing him only an hour I usually pay for it with back pain I was really hoping to wear the baby all the time because I was never really interested in it until number 3 and then with him I didn't really have a carrier.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#2 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM

me. i can wear her for a bit but she really doesn't like it. she prefers to face outward, then her head flops forward and she gets mad. she's still not really strong in her neck and i'm taking her to the ped thurs to have her evaluated for torticollis. my lower back is what hurts me and my hips (STILL!) and as she gets heavier it gets harder to wear her. couple in the surgery i had in dec and am still sore from and then we have all been sick and i've only worn her one day in the last week while i vacuumed.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#3 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 PM

what type of carrier are you using?

i'm very heavy chested (currently a 38i/j and 36g pre preg)so certain ones don't work like front carry mei tei, but back carry is fine
sling hurts but ring sling works because of being able to position differently.
stretchy wrap works, but soft structured like a beco doesn't
once your bub has good neck strength it gets a bit easier again when you can do more back or side carry

i do currently use a sleepy wrap pain-free as i can wrap it to support my back a bit better

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM

I also think the sleepy wrap is the least painful. b/c it's a little stretchy and you can place the material where you want, you can control the weight better. plus it makes the baby part of your body so it's less like "carrying" and more like being pg again. you can also do a forward carry earlier b/c you can support the chest up to the neck.

I use the Ergo a lot, but it will hurt my low back after a while. the ring sling is terrible on my shoulders. the Chicco also puts a lot of weight on my shoulders but is good on my mid-back.
#5 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 01:32 PM

i haven't even tried the ring sling with her because she's at that age where she wants to look out but can't really control her head and body movements. the wrap snugs her down too much. she's definitely high needs and along with that comes sensory issues. she likes being held but not snuggled so the wrap is a bit much for her. if i do the criss cross up front and then gather the material and face her outward and then DO NOT snug her in by ungathering the material, she's ok. it's just really hard to wear her like that right now because of the sore guts and her wiggling!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#6 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried a couple wraps and a baby bjorn, hotsling, new native and Baby Hawk but I haven't worn him in the baby hawk really because he was too small. Maybe I could wear him in that on my back? hmm I doubt even that would help.. I did just go in and have some therapy done on my back today so maybe I could get a day of wearing out of it lol

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#7 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by star*mora View Post
what type of carrier are you using?

i'm very heavy chested (currently a 38i/j and 36g pre preg)so certain ones don't work like front carry mei tei, but back carry is fine
sling hurts but ring sling works because of being able to position differently.
stretchy wrap works, but soft structured like a beco doesn't
once your bub has good neck strength it gets a bit easier again when you can do more back or side carry

i do currently use a sleepy wrap pain-free as i can wrap it to support my back a bit better
Maybe I will look into a sleepy wrap.. I haven't ever heard of those

#8 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 AM

I have been wearing dd in a ring sling, but she only likes to be kind of sitting up facing to the side, which isn't an official position and is very hard on my back. If she's facing me she gets mad.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#9 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM

In regards to the big boobs, no wonder I can't wear my mei tei very well. DH can though.

Also, what is the difference between the moby wrap and the sleepy wrap? They looked very similar to me. I have the moby but haven't tried messing with it much. I think it's mostly just fear that's preventing that.

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#10 of 11 Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM

I don't really like wearing my baby either. I have a horrible upper back and a really weak core. I was getting really strong ( for me) with pilates and yoga before I got pregnant and feeling great but I am back at the beginning again. I have a Bjorn, Moby, and K'tan... all 3 hurt my back after a while and the Bjorn kills my shoulders. The moby is the most comfortable but it doesnt have the magic to make ds sleep anymore so I don't use it much anymore. I use the Bjorn when I go out for a walk but thats it. I really thought baby wearing would be more comfortable and that I would do it all day long but thats not the case... When ds was teeny tiny he LOVED it but now he wants to see out and then it keeps him awake...

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#11 of 11 Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIFF4NY View Post
In regards to the big boobs, no wonder I can't wear my mei tei very well. DH can though.

Also, what is the difference between the moby wrap and the sleepy wrap? They looked very similar to me. I have the moby but haven't tried messing with it much. I think it's mostly just fear that's preventing that.
they are similar but the sleepy wrap has a different kind of stretch to it. so literally you tie it on yourself, then you slip the baby in and you don't need to really adjust it at all. shockingly fast for a stretchy wrap and it had really no learning curve - i was shown how to use it once and got it right away. it's also reasonably priced - i was going to pick up a moby but at the shop, the owner had me try the sleepy wrap and i loved it right away

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page