Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   October 2009 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/517-october-2009/)
-   -   Car trauma (http://www.mothering.com/forum/517-october-2009/1183434-car-trauma.html)

Kmama2 01-13-2010 09:23 PM

Ds ( 3 months) still cries EVERY single time we go anywhere in the car. He has yet to make a car trip longer than 4 min where he isn't screaming. What the heck??? I even switched him from the infant seat to a Radian.. tried sitting next to him, passy, music, no music etc.. NOTHING WORKS!!! It makes driving anywhere so stressful.
Anyone else????

MeredithK 01-13-2010 10:48 PM

We have the same thing for the most part. He's usually good on the way there, but not on the way back. I try to make sure that he has just eaten and been changed before we leave the house.

I've been avoiding going anywhere because it can be so traumatic. DH even suggested today that maybe the more we go for rides, he'll get better. I think I've used that advice before for the dogs, but not so sure it would work for DS!!

Every once in a while I will turn on a static radio station really loud...it calms him sometimes enough for him to breath.

It's really frustrating, I know!

Friendlee 01-13-2010 10:53 PM

Do you live in the city and do you by any chance start the ride off in stop-and-go traffic? I ask because my dd does really well in the car on the way "there" because we start off on long roads in the country and it's a smooth, vibrating ride. But once we are in town or when leaving town, she gets fussy at EVERY red light. Going through the drive-thru at the bank upsets her too. She HAS to be moving!

Maela 01-13-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
Do you live in the city and do you by any chance start the ride off in stop-and-go traffic? I ask because my dd does really well in the car on the way "there" because we start off on long roads in the country and it's a smooth, vibrating ride. But once we are in town or when leaving town, she gets fussy at EVERY red light. Going through the drive-thru at the bank upsets her too. She HAS to be moving!
DD was the same and so is DS.

Kmama2 01-13-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
hmm we do live in the city but it only takes about 1-2 min to get on the highway. It doesnt seem to matter though. Sometimes he cries before I even get out of the driveway. The whole being strapped in thing bothers him maybe? I dunno but its driving me mad. It makes me not want to go anywhere but staying inside our tiny house all day everyday is death by cabin fever for sure. We only go places maybe 3 times a week or so so its not like its every day or several times a day.

dachshundqueen 01-13-2010 11:54 PM

The position the seat is forcing the baby into may be causing reflux. You could try one of those reflux inserts - I was told that they were tested specifically for car seat use and are approved - but I don't know that for certain.

Liz

boobs4milk 01-14-2010 01:11 AM

ugh. my dh calls car rides the 'scream fest.' she has gotten a bit better since we got her a really cool carseat toy, but she tires of it and screams. monday night coming back from dd1's basketball game was torture because it was 45 mins of non-stop screaming and i was all alone with millie and dd3 so no getting in back to talk to her.

Pookietooth 01-14-2010 03:48 AM

Sorry to hear about that. dd has calmed down a lot and usually puts up with it ok. But she still has her moments. It always seems to happen when dh is in the car.

Pookietooth 01-14-2010 04:46 PM

Wanted to add that she has to have a dry diaper and a full tummy to be ok.

Pandme 01-14-2010 05:05 PM

I can't believe Clementine has gotten better in the car, but she has. However, a car ride at night is still so very, very bad.

But just now we went on a car ride to the store....about 20-25 minutes each way. No fussing, only a bit of squawkiness about five minutes before we got home.