Car trauma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds ( 3 months) still cries EVERY single time we go anywhere in the car. He has yet to make a car trip longer than 4 min where he isn't screaming. What the heck??? I even switched him from the infant seat to a Radian.. tried sitting next to him, passy, music, no music etc.. NOTHING WORKS!!! It makes driving anywhere so stressful.
Anyone else????

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#2 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM

We have the same thing for the most part. He's usually good on the way there, but not on the way back. I try to make sure that he has just eaten and been changed before we leave the house.

I've been avoiding going anywhere because it can be so traumatic. DH even suggested today that maybe the more we go for rides, he'll get better. I think I've used that advice before for the dogs, but not so sure it would work for DS!!

Every once in a while I will turn on a static radio station really loud...it calms him sometimes enough for him to breath.

It's really frustrating, I know!

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#3 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM

Do you live in the city and do you by any chance start the ride off in stop-and-go traffic? I ask because my dd does really well in the car on the way "there" because we start off on long roads in the country and it's a smooth, vibrating ride. But once we are in town or when leaving town, she gets fussy at EVERY red light. Going through the drive-thru at the bank upsets her too. She HAS to be moving!
#4 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
Do you live in the city and do you by any chance start the ride off in stop-and-go traffic? I ask because my dd does really well in the car on the way "there" because we start off on long roads in the country and it's a smooth, vibrating ride. But once we are in town or when leaving town, she gets fussy at EVERY red light. Going through the drive-thru at the bank upsets her too. She HAS to be moving!
DD was the same and so is DS.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#5 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
hmm we do live in the city but it only takes about 1-2 min to get on the highway. It doesnt seem to matter though. Sometimes he cries before I even get out of the driveway. The whole being strapped in thing bothers him maybe? I dunno but its driving me mad. It makes me not want to go anywhere but staying inside our tiny house all day everyday is death by cabin fever for sure. We only go places maybe 3 times a week or so so its not like its every day or several times a day.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#6 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM

The position the seat is forcing the baby into may be causing reflux. You could try one of those reflux inserts - I was told that they were tested specifically for car seat use and are approved - but I don't know that for certain.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#7 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 AM

ugh. my dh calls car rides the 'scream fest.' she has gotten a bit better since we got her a really cool carseat toy, but she tires of it and screams. monday night coming back from dd1's basketball game was torture because it was 45 mins of non-stop screaming and i was all alone with millie and dd3 so no getting in back to talk to her.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#8 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 AM

Sorry to hear about that. dd has calmed down a lot and usually puts up with it ok. But she still has her moments. It always seems to happen when dh is in the car.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 PM

Wanted to add that she has to have a dry diaper and a full tummy to be ok.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#10 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM

I can't believe Clementine has gotten better in the car, but she has. However, a car ride at night is still so very, very bad.

But just now we went on a car ride to the store....about 20-25 minutes each way. No fussing, only a bit of squawkiness about five minutes before we got home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page