Boogers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if this is gross...

So with this cold and dry weather and with the hot air blowing on us all the time, my DD has been stuffy. We have a humidifier but she still wakes up in the middle of the night with big booger stuck up there and she snorts when she cries.

The snot suckers don't do a thing. I've actually tried 5 different brands and none of them have enough suction to get out a big booger (they seem to only be able to suck out snot, which she doesn't have).

I filled a dropper with warm salty water and gently squirted that up her nose. It worked in that she snotted out a huge booger - it was huge and even *I* felt relieved for her! But I tried that again tonight and it hasn't helped to get anything out.

Does anyone have any wonderful tricks for extracting boogers that make it hard for a LO to breathe?!?
#2 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 PM
pjs

a qtip? My guy gets some big, semi-crusty, semi-globby ones and sometimes the snot sucker will pull it down enough to be able to see it and to then be able to get it with a qtip.
#3 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 PM

we do the qtip thingie once in a while. Sometimes I squirt breastmilk up his nose to loosen things up a bit... or stick him in the bathroom in the am while daddy showers and steams the place up. That often loosens things.
Poor guy always has boogies in there though.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#4 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM

My friend swears by this thing: http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2008/05/nosefrida.html I'm NAK, so I didn't read this review, but you can google around for more info.

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#5 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

just ordered one...I'm desperate to get those big boogers out of there!
thanks!
#6 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 PM

You're welcome. I'm wondering if I should order one, too!

#7 of 10 Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well MeredithK...I have to thank you (and your friend), I love the nosefrida!!! I dropped in a bit of saline solution and waited a little bit. I did the suction on my hand and the suction didn't even feel as strong as the other failing nose suckers I had, so I was a little worried. But because it forms a seal at the opening of the nose, I realize I wasn't able to re-create the suction it would have in her nose.

When I sucked, I got out several boogers that were way up there (ones I couldn't even see when I looked in her nose before-hand). I did all of this after she woke up from a very restless nap in which her breathing was labored. After doing the nosefrida, she was SO much more calm and relaxed. And I was, in turn, much less stressed.

I highly recommend the nosefrida!!!
#8 of 10 Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Yay!! I'm so glad that it works so well for you guys!

#9 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 04:10 AM

I use http://www.americarx.com/products/37785.html this saline spray. I sit him up and spray it in and let it irrigate his nose really well, then I lay him down give one more little spray and use the bulb to get out the saline and all that is has knocked loose. Usually works pretty well.

Or, if you have teeny fingers like me you can just pick it out. heh (hey, it works!)

~heather

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
#10 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I've been able to pick out little bits, but she had stuff way up there that I couldn't see and it was making her sound nasally and she would snort when she'd cry. She basically needed a neti pot for babies (like the saline spray you mentioned) and a good nose blow. The saline definitely helps to knock stuff loose, but the strong suction of the nosefrida was essential.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page