Interest in Solids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 17 Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
Charlize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD3 is definitely showing an interest in food. We've started putting her in her high chair and sitting her in it at meals. She constantly watches us eat and sometimes even cries for the food we're eating it seems. DH talked to the pediatrician and he suggested feeding her cereal at night before bed or first thing in the morning. I'm really harping on the virgin gut theory, but everyone is pressuring me to begin solids with her and acts like I'm being silly.

I know going by the "standards" for beginning solids she's probably "ready." But I'm not ready.

She weighed 6 lbs, 10.2 oz at birth; At her two month check-up she weighed 11 lbs, 2 oz. She's almost 15 weeks old now and I'm pretty certain she's most likely around 14 lbs now and has doubled her birth weight. She's sitting up with very little support and she has been holding her head steady for what seems like weeks now. She often acts like she's still hungry, or not satisfied after some feedings, but I know she's getting enough or she wouldn't be gaining like she is.

Any other babies interested in food already? What are you doing?

ETA: She's sleeping for 5-6 hr stretches at night. I'm taking her to the pedi in the morning for a weight check and to discuss solids. I'm against and he's for them. Just hitting me odd he wants her on them already since he's usually an advocate for delayed solids, non-circ, etc. etc.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.
 
 

Charlize is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would wait myself, but then we had a bad experience starting too early with ds -- he didn't digest it well.
Found this interesting.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
#3 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 AM
 
SnglAPmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
15 weeks seems very early to start solids. Rice cereal also has virtually no nutrition in it and I am SO with you on the virgin gut theory, especially because rice cereal is essentially carbs and the body digests it as sugar and sugar kills intestinal flora. If your daughter seems hungry do you nurse her? Then does she still seem interested in your food? Maybe try giving her a spoon to hold on to and play with. My daughter started solids at 6 months and really got the majority of her nutrition from nursing until close to 18 months. We started with carrots and totally skipped the baby cereal route. She just had fruits and veggies because they have actual nutrition in them. It was a VERY slow process adding more solids to her diet. All babies are different and some take to solids much more quickly but I would strongly suggest waiting if that is what your intuition is telling you. You are mommy and you know your baby and what is best for her. If you feel you should wait, then there is no question in my mind.

I would guess the pediatrician suggested cereal before bed to "fill her up" so she will theoretically sleep longer. You could also try fenugreek or Motherlove's More Milk Plus if you feel you aren't producing enough, but if you're exclusively nursing then you probably are producing enough. My daughter would want to nurse EVERY time I sat down to eat until she was 6 months and that is partly why I started giving her solids then. I have read about babies who nurse exclusively until they are 9 months to a year old, which is the "other" end of the spectrum, I guess. I would definitely wait until you feel the time is right.

Ruth-single mommy to Maya 01/12/07
SnglAPmama is offline  
#4 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 AM
 
boobs4milk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chasing my toddler!
Posts: 2,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the aap, dr. sears, dr. newman, the who....all the big guns do not recommend solids until at least 6 months. millie is doing all the things you describe, but it's just normal curiosity. i give her a toy or spoon or nurse her while we're eating. she's 4 month today.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

boobs4milk is offline  
#5 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
Charlize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnglAPmama View Post
15 weeks seems very early to start solids. Rice cereal also has virtually no nutrition in it and I am SO with you on the virgin gut theory, especially because rice cereal is essentially carbs and the body digests it as sugar and sugar kills intestinal flora. If your daughter seems hungry do you nurse her? Then does she still seem interested in your food? Maybe try giving her a spoon to hold on to and play with. My daughter started solids at 6 months and really got the majority of her nutrition from nursing until close to 18 months. We started with carrots and totally skipped the baby cereal route. She just had fruits and veggies because they have actual nutrition in them. It was a VERY slow process adding more solids to her diet. All babies are different and some take to solids much more quickly but I would strongly suggest waiting if that is what your intuition is telling you. You are mommy and you know your baby and what is best for her. If you feel you should wait, then there is no question in my mind.

I would guess the pediatrician suggested cereal before bed to "fill her up" so she will theoretically sleep longer. You could also try fenugreek or Motherlove's More Milk Plus if you feel you aren't producing enough, but if you're exclusively nursing then you probably are producing enough. My daughter would want to nurse EVERY time I sat down to eat until she was 6 months and that is partly why I started giving her solids then. I have read about babies who nurse exclusively until they are 9 months to a year old, which is the "other" end of the spectrum, I guess. I would definitely wait until you feel the time is right.
We still do on demand nursing and if she goes too long without eating I have to pump due to painful engorgement, so I'm pretty sure I have an oversupply. Personally, I think she's a "greedy" baby and wants everything she can get ahold of.

I didn't know about the virgin gut theory when I had my other girls, so this is all new to me. I started giving DD1 cereal at 4 months; my mom gave DD2 cereal in a bottle at around 8 weeks behind my back so to speak. With all the diabetics in my family, I would've definitely waited until 6 months to give them solids had I been able to EBF them too. My family thinks I'm "starving her out."

I don't want to do cereal either. Have you ever tasted that stuff?! Omg. It's horrible!

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.
 
 

Charlize is offline  
#6 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
 
Charlize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
I would wait myself, but then we had a bad experience starting too early with ds -- he didn't digest it well.
Found this interesting.
Thank you for that information. I'll be sure to take that to the appointment with us.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.
 
 

Charlize is offline  
#7 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
 
Therese's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
the aap, dr. sears, dr. newman, the who....all the big guns do not recommend solids until at least 6 months. millie is doing all the things you describe, but it's just normal curiosity. i give her a toy or spoon or nurse her while we're eating. she's 4 month today.
This is exactly what we did with our kids, just gave them a spoon or toy while we ate.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Therese's Mommy is offline  
#8 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
 
completebeginnings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way to early. And she doesn't seem to be starving at 14 lbs.

.
Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

completebeginnings is offline  
#9 of 17 Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM
 
Friendlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would agree with PP's that this is WAY to early to start solids. The Super Baby Food book gives a great explanation of when to start and why. I'm sure you cld find it at the library. There are actually lots of readiness signs and food curiosity is only one of them. The book, along with many trusted experts, say that 6 months is when you should "introduce" solids for the experience of textures and tastes and not even to rely on as nutritional supplement. I was going to start at 4 months until I started reading about their developmental readiness and then I decided 6 months if she seems ready. I've also read that if they're curious at meal time to give them a spoon, bowl, toy, etc.

I would definitey question a doctor who is misinformed enough to recommend you give the baby solids at this point, especially if she's steadily gaining weight!!! And as for your family...saying that you are starving a baby that's gaining is like insisting it's hot outside on a day when it's 10 degrees. It's absurd. And it's kind of bullying, really.
Friendlee is offline  
#10 of 17 Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 AM
 
Therese's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And don't feel like once 6mos comes you *have* to introduce solids. We introduced them for the first time with DD#1 at about 7mos and she was totally on board. With DD#2 I didn't see much interest from her. Dh kept thinking she was ready and wanting so I offered her some banana at about 8mos. She just played with it. I would occasionally offer her mashed banana or mashed avocado over the next couple months and none of it made it into her mouth. She didn't start solids until 11mos. In hindsight, I think one of the reasons was that she is allergic to the food I was offering But, part of it was that she just didn't want any food yet. I think just putting some mashed food in front of them is a great way to go. Then they are getting what they want when they want it. I spoon fed my first and wish now that I hadn't. I think it made meal times more stressful for both of us. I would get stressed out when she would refuse (yes, I have issues ). I will never do that again. Luckily, she is a great eater now and will eat just about anything, so I am glad I didn't damage her with that experience.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Therese's Mommy is offline  
#11 of 17 Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM
 
MeadowMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northwoods WI
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my DS we started solids at 4 mos as recommended by his ped. I wish I would have known better. He suffered from leaky gut for years, and had many food intolerance's.
With dd we are in no hurry, I am more then happy to be her only source of nutrition.
Your dd seems to be gaining and growing just fine, I wouldn't worry about adding anything.

JenaMom to ds & dd Proud to
MeadowMom is offline  
#12 of 17 Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Norasmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The sunny side of the mountains
Posts: 4,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I may get flamed and that is just fine with me. I gave DD solids in the form of my own homemade rice cereal at 4.5 months after she ripped a sandwich out of my hand. I was fully going to wait until 6 months, but YK I felt that if she was literally ripping food out of my hands and shoving it her mouth she might be ready, plus she had 2 teeth, and was growing her 2 top teeth too. Now I always hear people with the argument of well it could be anything the baby wants, but when they are chomping with every bite you are taking and stop when you stop and only grab at food, well maybe they know something we don't. My Dr at the time said I should wait, BUT it is also good to listen to what your baby is communicating. The maturity of an infant gut 4-6 months, but I'm guessing it is different for all babies, some maybe 4 months, some may be 8 months. I just think BAM oh you're 6 months today, now your stomach can handle food, I guess I am one to try and see what MY baby is trying to communicate.

I know I'm the oddball with this one on MDC, but I don't necessarily see the 6 month mark as the day when it all is fine-I believe just like with all development there are those who are earlier and those who are later, JMO. FWIW my DD is a very healthy 3 y/old with zero issues with food. If DS acts the same I'll probably do the same thing and go with my gut.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Norasmomma is offline  
#13 of 17 Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
Charlize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took DD3 to the pediatrician yesterday. Her weight was 12 lbs, 10 oz. That's lower than what I expected, but still good. She's in the 60th percentile for weight at her age. I'm thinking she was quite a bit lower than the 60th percentile before. I can't remember for sure, though. All the pediatrician said was that she seems to be growing fine. She goes back early next month for her 4 mo check up, so we'll discuss things more in-depth then.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.
 
 

Charlize is offline  
#14 of 17 Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 AM
 
SnglAPmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Well I may get flamed and that is just fine with me. I gave DD solids in the form of my own homemade rice cereal at 4.5 months after she ripped a sandwich out of my hand. I was fully going to wait until 6 months, but YK I felt that if she was literally ripping food out of my hands and shoving it her mouth she might be ready, plus she had 2 teeth, and was growing her 2 top teeth too. Now I always hear people with the argument of well it could be anything the baby wants, but when they are chomping with every bite you are taking and stop when you stop and only grab at food, well maybe they know something we don't. My Dr at the time said I should wait, BUT it is also good to listen to what your baby is communicating. The maturity of an infant gut 4-6 months, but I'm guessing it is different for all babies, some maybe 4 months, some may be 8 months. I just think BAM oh you're 6 months today, now your stomach can handle food, I guess I am one to try and see what MY baby is trying to communicate.

I know I'm the oddball with this one on MDC, but I don't necessarily see the 6 month mark as the day when it all is fine-I believe just like with all development there are those who are earlier and those who are later, JMO. FWIW my DD is a very healthy 3 y/old with zero issues with food. If DS acts the same I'll probably do the same thing and go with my gut.
Wow, why would you think you'd get "flamed"? I haven't been around here for long, but there seems to be a lot of support for mothers following their instincts when it comes to their children. I didn't start my daughter on solids the VERY DAY she turned 6 months because it was magic and she automatically was ready. I gave her a little in her 6th month of life because I knew she was ready to try a little something. Every child and every parent is different and doing what you feel in your gut is what you should do. We should try not to succumb to pressure from anyone outside our family, but to use the instincts and bond we have with our child. Obviously that's what you did and your daughter is healthy and that's great! I guess I just think we should all be supportive of each other (unless there are dangerous things going on) instead of "flaming" each other. I think a lot of mothers are trying to understand what their babies are telling them just like you are, and it's different for every mother and baby, and that is ok.

Ruth-single mommy to Maya 01/12/07
SnglAPmama is offline  
#15 of 17 Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
 
boobs4milk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chasing my toddler!
Posts: 2,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4-6 months is when the gut starts to close but enzyme production isn't in full swing until 7+ months. fats can not be properly digested until 6-9 mos. basically, you can feed your baby solids, but they won't be properly digested and why replace breastmilk that is being digested?

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

boobs4milk is offline  
#16 of 17 Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 AM
 
Norasmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The sunny side of the mountains
Posts: 4,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just said that because some people really object to ANY solids before 6 months(and yes on the LWAB there has been flaming). I guess that I just personally feel that all babies are different and like anything the develop in different ways.

My point is like anything with a child I don't think there is a one size fits all approach, and I am one to go with my gut and not what a book or a famous pediatrician says.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Norasmomma is offline  
#17 of 17 Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
 
Charlize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wellllllll. DD2 kinda messed the "virgin gut" up for us.

We were eating ice cream and she snuck it to DD3 before I could do anything. Then when I was trying to get DD2 away, DD1 snuck her spoon in. Needless to say, DD3 seemed quite happy (and surprised) with what she was given.

Last night at dinner DD3 was so pitiful. She kept reaching for my plate and would not play with her toys like she usually does. I put a small spoonful of mashed potatoes on her tray and she immediately reached for them and began eating. She ate virtually all of them. She also wanted to nurse as soon as she was done, which I was surprised by.

She woke up throughout the night and nursed. When she awoke at 8 am, I nursed her. Then I pumped a little bit and fixed her some homemade rice cereal. She ate that. And then nursed again.

She seems much happier. She isn't near as fussy as she has been in the past couple of weeks. She's nursing better and not overeating. It's almost like she's a different baby. Maybe she just wasn't satisfied with breastmilk alone.

Idk. I feel guilty over it. I sooooo wanted to make it to 6 months before beginning solids, but I'm happy she seems much happier now. My gut tells me I did the right thing...

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.
 
 

Charlize is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off