Burping the Baby (When you nurse to sleep) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When/If you nurse the baby down, I'm assuming you skip the burping? Although dd will sleep a little longer if I nurse her down, she often awakes very upset and uncomfortable in a puddle of spit-up which she smears all over her face, clothing and sheets.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM

The only thing I can do is sit up and burp them after feeding (this has been true for both kids).

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
When/If you nurse the baby down, I'm assuming you skip the burping? Although dd will sleep a little longer if I nurse her down, she often awakes very upset and uncomfortable in a puddle of spit-up which she smears all over her face, clothing and sheets.

Any suggestions?
I have the same problem... part of my ds issues with the whole 20 min nap thing was he was waking up to burp or spit up. So during the day I try to nurse him and then keep him awake for 15 min or so.... in the afternoons I nurse him to sleep and hold him and without a doubt he will wake up crying 15 min later and spit up... he will often then go back to sleep.
At night time I unlatch and burp him 2-3 times and then put him back to the breast.. by the third time he is basically sucking on an empty breast and often doesn't need to burp after that. I do try... somestimes he wakes up to burp though and other times he doesn't. I

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 AM

I don't burp because if I wake him up then I have to start over again so it is counter Productive

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 AM

He is in our bed and I burp him while we are laying down I pick him up just to get everything moving then lay him back down and pat his back while we are laying there he normally burps if I do that if not I sit up or make DH burp him

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 AM

I rarely burp dd anymore as she seems to do it herself, and she does spit up but not that bad. Sometimes I burp her by holding her upright and hugging her or standing her up and letting her burp that way. I noticed it didn't seem to help with spitups and seemed to upset her, so I quit and she seems fine most of the time. You could try rolling her onto her tummy temporarily just to see if she burps that way, then roll her back if that wouldn't wake her, or else bring her knees to her chest while she's on her back.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 AM

Almost every night I nurse DD3 to sleep. After I nurse her, I usually place her on my shoulder for just a second. Often times she will burp as soon as I do it. It seems like the least movement makes her burp. But she's an easy burper, too. She may wake up for only a second when I burp her, but goes right back to sleep.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 PM

If DS falls asleep while nursing, I generally don't burp him if we are both lying down. It seems to wake him up and I don't want to risk that. When we are in bed, I always make sure that his head is on a cloth diaper. That way, it doesn't ruin the sheets. You could put down a waterproof cloth, too.

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
Old 01-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I try to put DS on my shoulder and burp him directly after the initial letdown is over, which is when he usually seems to swallow air. After that I don't burp him again unless it sounds like he's drinking more air, and I let him nurse 'til he falls asleep.

We nurse in a glider and not in bed, in part because I haven't figured out yet how to get him to sleep without burping him, and it's awkward when we're laying together..

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

User Tag List