Anyone else here nursing a little one? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. If so, how old is the child you're nursing?
2. Is nursing painful for you?
3. Are you thinking of tandem nursing or are you thinking about weaning?

My youngest is 14 months (going on 15 months). She nurses all the time. Fortunately, there's no pain yet!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#2 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 PM

How funny you wrote this. We are in pretty similiar situations.

I am currently pregnant and nursing an almost 15 month old son who still nurses frequently even at night. It is starting to hurt to nurse, but so far it has been manageable. I have been just taking it one step at a time. My OB actually suggested that I start weaning, stating "nursing can cause uterine irritability" He then went on to tell me that a midwife would give me the go ahead but he doesnt like to take chances. I was just planning to keep nursing. My son would flip out if I tried to wean him so as long as it isnt commplicating things I will continue. I am hoping that over the next 9 months he might just wean himself as things change, however part of me is worried that he will start screaming while nursing if my supply lowers. I have thought about the idea of tandem nursing but it sounds really exausting. I cant imagine what it will be like since I have never done it but I do feel open to atleast exploring the idea.

Kerry, happy wife to hubby Chad, mama to ds 6, Rainbow ds 2, and 4
#3 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM

I have a 3 year old who is still nursing, and I have been fine with her weaning for quite a while now. I wanted her to wear at some point this year regardless of a pregnancy, but I'm imagining that the pregnancy will make it a little easier, with the milk probably drying up eventually. As that's happening, I'll be giving nudges towards weaning, if she's not going for it on her own. I'd consider tandem nursing with a younger toddler, but like I said, I've been wanting her to wean this year anyway
#4 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 04:46 PM

I am nursing our almost 21 month old. We were attemping night weaning before I got pregnant, but now we're full speed ahead with that. I'm having major mixed feelings. Obviously I want to keep nursing him for all of the benefits. But, I nursed through my last pregnancy and then tandem nursed for about two months after my second son was born, and it was really difficult for me. So, I'm not planning to do it again. I'm hoping to slowly wean him during the day after the night is solid. If he weans himself that would be fine with me. I'm sort of aiming for June/July as a stopping point if we can. I won't force him into it, though.
#5 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Oh, and nursing isn't painful yet... but as I said in another post... it's been unpleasant for a while. I think hormones play a role in that. So that's not too different. I think my milk supply has taken a bit of a dive already, because I have noticed his suck change a little.
#6 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 PM

I'm nursing a 2yo. He nurses about 5-7 times a day. Beginning last week, it has been painful at times. He's also been a bit constipated, so it makes me think that I'm losing/may lose my milk. I would be ok if he chose to wean himself over the next few months. I feel like I've done him a great service by nursing him this long. I'm going to try to not give it too much thought and go with the flow.
#7 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Nursing a 19 mo old. This will be my 4th time tandeming. (actually once I actually had 3, but its still called tandem nursing.) It doesn't hurt yet, but I have no doubt that it will. At least for me, I could kick a hole in the floor when they latch on. It hurts that bad. And the people who said that the nursling will wean when the milk changes, just lied. Any questions, I can probably answer. I have the book Adventures in Tandem nursing coming. I've heard great things about it.

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#8 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
And the people who said that the nursling will wean when the milk changes, just lied.
: Are you referring to this thread? Obviously it's not true that any and all children WILL wean when the milk changes, by the fact that there are women who nurse through a pregnancy and tandem nurse afterward.
#9 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
rrs

I'm nursing Carter.

He is 16 months old.

Pain is only occasional at this point.

I really really hope he does not wean. He doesn't really eat solids at this point. He is extremely dependent on breastmilk, nutritionally. Emotionally, he is incredibly dependent on breastfeeding. I would hate for him to wean before he is ready.

I just borrowed Adventures in Tandem Nursing. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#10 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM

DS is still nursing lots and he is 30 months. Was planning on letting him wean himself when he was ready. Nursing isn't painful yet, but I can tell my supply has already dropped. We are just taking it one day at a time and will deal with what happens naturally.
#11 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM

I'm still nursing my 2.7 year old, but only 1-2 times a day. He's already night weaned (thankfully). I have NO idea if he will wean during this pregnancy, we will just see how it goes and see what happens.

It has been a bit painful at times, but not always.
#12 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM

I am still nursing my 12 month old (he's 1 today!!), I am experiencing a bit of pain but want to continue, I think he will keep on even if the milk changes or drops (tho women in my family tend to lactate all thru pregnancy). I want to tandem.

I did wean my first at 11 months b/c I was told that might have been why I wasn't able to keep a pregnancy (little did I know I was already two months pregnant; had some spotting, so didn't realize). I still regret it. I won't do it this time.

Austin June 2006; Xander March 2008; Shay Nov 2009; 5 babies gone to heaven.
#13 of 41 Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 AM

Anyone else already tandem nursing?

I'm nursing DS who will be three at the end of the month, he is down to right before bed. I figure he will probably wean during the pregnancy. DD is almost 18 months, and I'm fairly certain she will wean too, she's not very patient for letdown as it is. I'll be thrilled if she doesn't though!

Right now nursing is VERY painful for me, but not due to the pregnancy... I startled DD twice this week and have two bloodied nipples

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#14 of 41 Old 03-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella View Post
: Are you referring to this thread? Obviously it's not true that any and all children WILL wean when the milk changes, by the fact that there are women who nurse through a pregnancy and tandem nurse afterward.
Nope, I just had TONS of people tell me that, and I was kinda counting on it the first time around.

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#15 of 41 Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 PM
rrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
Right now nursing is VERY painful for me, but not due to the pregnancy... I startled DD twice this week and have two bloodied nipples
Aw, hope they're feeling better soon! I'm cringing for you.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#16 of 41 Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM

I'm nursing an 8 month old. I feel like I was just in a due date club! : But so far nursing is going well. I'm not really sore, but there is some redness and slight irritation. My DS doesn't really eat solids yet so we'll be nursing for quite awhile. I don't really love pumping while pregnant... but its part of being a working mom. Hopefully my milk supply won't go down.
It's nice to know there are other nursing mamas in our ddc!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#17 of 41 Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM

My 26mo is nursing. I've beent rying to night wean him for ages, but the last couple of weeks he's been refusing to go with that (he did really well for a couple of weeks but not now).
I am fine with having him nurse to sleep at naptime and bedtime, but I want him to wean otherwise--especially during the night. I need him to move out of our bed and stop waking me all night. We have a little bed and based on the last pregnancy I will need both my sleep and my space.
DS is not pleased about this, but we've been cutting back on nursing for months, so this isn't really anything new, it's just me being a little firmer about it. I actually tucked in my shirt today so I wouldn't be able to just pop out a boob without thinking about it,

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#18 of 41 Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM

I am currently tandem nursing my 4.5 year old and my almost 2 year old (she'll be 2 on Monday). My bb's don't yet hurt which is good and the 4.5 year old only nurses first thing in the morning. The 2 year old still nurses quite a bit but its doable. I have already nursed through a whole pregnancy so at least I know what to expect this time.

I will say that I have a huge oversupply in the first few months after a new baby is born so I am really hoping Isla is still nursing at the end of the pregnancy. It was so nice to have Niamh taking some of the excess milk when Isla was born...I had absolutely no engorgement (of course Niamh gained about 6 pounds from that fatty newborn milk LOL but it was temporary!)

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#19 of 41 Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 PM

I am still nursing my 14m dd and it is SO painful! I haven't really thought about tandem nursing because my ds weaned when I got prego with dd so I am thinking the same will happen this time in the next 2 mos. We will see, I can't imagine nursing much longer if it keeps hurting so much

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#20 of 41 Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM

yes!

1. 13.5 months
2. no
3. definitely weaning.

i nursed kayleigh (my oldest) all through ethan's pregnany & until he was a week old. i do not have the patience for tandem nursing. it was HARD, and DH was out to sea. she cried when he wanted to nurse, there was no one there to help me with her, etc. she was still nursing a lot at night, it was just hard. i weaned her when he was a week old, she was 23.5mo.

i found out i was pregnant with norah on ethan's second birthday. i weaned him when i was 12 weeks pregnant. dh was deploying, and i knew if he wasn't there to help with the process, i'd go though tandeming again. ethan was 27mo when he weaned.

norah is almost 14mo old. i will probably nurse her through until july-ish. i figure, i will wean her & move her to dd's room while she's out of school for the summer. she'll be 18mo. it seems REALLY young to me for weaning, but i just can't do the infant/toddler thing again. it's too stressful for me.

that said, nursing has never been painful for me when pregnant. i also never get morning sickness, ect, so while it's nice, it's a little unnerving to never have any symptoms!

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#21 of 41 Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a great book!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#22 of 41 Old 03-07-2009, 11:32 PM

I agree about the book. Good read!

My boobs are so sore tonight. I don't know how long I can hang. I was hoping to make it til June but I'm finding myself distracting DS2 whenever possible. Just a week ago we were nursing constantly, and as of today I think I nursed him 5 times.
#23 of 41 Old 03-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Dd is still nursing at 26 months. No problems here.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#24 of 41 Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM

DD is 23 months. I can see that the weaning process has started but she's in no rush and I'd love for her to nurse as long as possible. I just ordered More Milk Two to help my supply.

Painful latch on and horrid blanching were my first indications of pregnancy. Surprise to me!

Absolutely tandem, if DD holds out that long. I'd like to think that she would but if my milk goes away 2nd trimester I have no idea. She still nurses 1-2 times per night (or 6+ on a bad night) plus after school and before bed.

I'm still in shock!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#25 of 41 Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
rrs

So for the past week or a little more, Carter has been pretty fussy. He constantly wants to nurse. Last night he could not settle down, was popping back and forth, and would cry out in his half sleep.

I'm wondering if it's teething, as I had initially assumed, or if my supply is cruddy, or maybe a bit of both. He is having wet diapers, but a little less frequently. His appetite for solids also seems to have increased a bit.

Could my supply be decreasing already?

#26 of 41 Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post
I am currently tandem nursing my 4.5 year old and my almost 2 year old (she'll be 2 on Monday). My bb's don't yet hurt which is good and the 4.5 year old only nurses first thing in the morning. The 2 year old still nurses quite a bit but its doable. I have already nursed through a whole pregnancy so at least I know what to expect this time.

I will say that I have a huge oversupply in the first few months after a new baby is born so I am really hoping Isla is still nursing at the end of the pregnancy. It was so nice to have Niamh taking some of the excess milk when Isla was born...I had absolutely no engorgement (of course Niamh gained about 6 pounds from that fatty newborn milk LOL but it was temporary!)

Steph
I nursed my now 4yo through my last pregnancy and also had a huge over supply. DD went from 23lbs where you could see every rib petit to 35 lbs of chubbyness
At the point I am at now I am sure I will tandem ( triandem) nurse.
DD 4yo only nurses for a few minutes every couple months DS nurses quite a bit more but I have been trying to cut him down for a while now.
I have no pain as of yet but I don't remember it being that bad last time.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#27 of 41 Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Hello...nice to hear all your experiences and plans about nursing while pregnant!

I am nursing my almost 16 month old (Nov 12 2007) son. He's quite a good nurser still, and as much as I try he doesn't want to have much to do with solids even now. The last few days he has not wanted to nurse much during the day, or he will only suck for a few seconds, then pops off and is on his way and I'm left with my let down spraying out and he won't take it! i have noticed my breasts are larger/fuller than they have been lately and I don't think there's a lower supply. Could the taste be different already? At night he has been nursing More than usual (I suppose because he doesn't get as much during the day and is making up for it). I also see little incisors popping through his gums, so the teething could be the only thing that's different for him right now I guess.

Anyway, I'm hoping to nurse through the pregnancy and tandem nurse after that if he still wants to. I hope we can make it through the pregnancy, although I've heard many people dry up or can't handle the pain in the 2nd trimester!
#28 of 41 Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 PM

Hi. I'm nursing a 20m old. With ds1 I was able to nurse until I was about 4 or 5 months preg and then it started to bother me. But, he was only nursing before bed and only for a few minutes, so it wasn't a big thing for him to stop. He would drink a cup of organic milk before bed and be fine.
This time I'm not sure how it's going to go. Ds2 is nursing more than ds1 was. He wants to nurse at night, if he wakes up, in the morning, and sometimes before nap time. And, he doesn't like milk. Though, I've only just started offering him a cup once I realized we may have to end nursing in a few months. He's just so much more high maint regarding nursing, that I just have no idea what's going to happen. I have a feeling he'll want to pick right back up where he's left off, when the baby comes, but who knows.
So far though, no pain or anything. My boobs already feel fuller though this time around. I have a feeling I'll be a d-cup much sooner than 8 months.
#29 of 41 Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM

I'm nursing my 13mo and it does hurts a lot, mostly just when he latches on. It feels like he is biting me but I know he isn't. I try to distract myself when he first latches on. He seems way too young for me to wean and I really think he needs nursing still. I have heard so many times that most babies wean during pregnancy and I am afraid that DS will. I really don't want him to wean but I also have no idea how to work out tandem nursing. I defiantly plan to read Adventures in Tandem nursing. Also DS enjoys solid foods and eats quite a bit but he is allergic to Dairy.
Some days DS will only nurse 3-5 times and other days it will be constantly on and off (this drives me crazy). He still nurses at night a lot... I don't know how much, at least 4 time sometimes more (especially in the morning).
Does anyone know when supply typically drops? Sometimes I feel like I have no milk at all and other times I feel very full. Maybe this is just due to DS inconsistent nursing.

workin schoolin mama to DS Feb 08 and DD Nov 09
#30 of 41 Old 03-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Hey guys!

1. 15 months
2. no, I hope it dosen't start!
3. I thought about weaning but now I am not so sure. I guess I will wean or by default do tandem nursing!

Rebekah married to Justin Mama to Jonah and Josiah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page