Thinking names already? Let me hear them!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the whole naming part of pregnancy and new babies. And I love hearing how people choose their names.
I think we had Sofie named the day we found out we were pregnant. DH really liked the name Sophia, and I did too. We decided to go with the name German version of it, as the boy name we choose was Jozef, named after his Polish/German grandfather. Avye took a few months, but I just had this feeling that I was supposed to name her "Avi", but I didn't like the meaning of Avi - as it is the nickname of the name Avraham, with a meaning of "father of many." Not exactly feminine in my books. But I found on one internet website the feminine spelling Avye. It's Arabic and means "keeper of the gate". Which I love!! Plus I loved it because though we call her Avee (ryhmes with abbey) the proper pronunciation is AvYUH (like avYeah, without the ah sounding of the word Yeah)

So far for this pregnancy we are looking at the names: Greyson and Jozef for a boy, and possibly Meridith and Elisabeth for girls. But not set on any name yet.

Anybody else? h

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#2 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
So far for this pregnancy we are looking at the names: Greyson and Jozef for a boy, and possibly Meridith and Elisabeth for girls. But not set on any name yet.

Anybody else? h
I love your names! DD is named Iman, arabic for "faith". If we get another girl this time we're already got some names picked out:
Johara- jewel
Kalila- sweetheart, beloved
Sana- brilliance
Salwa- solace
Zainab- name

As for a boy, it's a given, it will be Mohamed. DH is the fourth, so this boy would be the 5th. Can't bring myself to break the honorable lineage, kwim?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 04:37 PM

DS is Colin. I knew I wanted to honor my dad by using his name, but it sounds terrible with our last name--too much alliteration. So I used it as a middle name and looked for a first name that sounded right with the middle and last name. We're really Irish, so it's a good pick. And I love that the little boy Colin in The Secret Garden undergoes such an enormous healing after losing his mother, just as being a mother and losing my mother at a young age were transformative experiences in my life. Plus, Collins is a family name, so it just seemed right.

If this baby is a girl, her name will be Halcyon. The Halcyon is a mythological bird. Rhett ****** wrote a beautiful song called "There is a world inside the world" and a line from it is..."let's call her Halcyon and hope that she holds, for every shore she's gonna touch is gonna turn to solid gold." I think that every girl should have a song--I'm named after The Allman Bros. song.

If this baby is a boy, DH get to pick. I'm going to lobby hard for River though.
#4 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 04:59 PM

Oh fun thread! I love names too. Such power to name a human, isn't it?!

Our first DD is named Cecelia. It had always been a named DH and I liked, but everything seemed to point that way during my pregnancy (we didn't know if she was a boy or girl). My grandmother, Alice, and his grandmother, Lucille, passed in my first trimester. The letters in both of their names can combine for her name. Further, about 1/2way through my pregnancy, my mom rec'd a letter from my grandmother's long-lost best friend, stating that she had heard of her passing and what a wonderful woman and friend she was. Imagine my surprise when I saw the letter signed "Cecelia" - spelled the less common way as well! I actually left the room and cried like crazy - the only time I cried during the entire pregnancy (except the funeral of course). It was from that moment I *knew* she was a girl.

And if you want to bring modern day into it, the girl was born on Paul Simon's birthday. How could we not name her Cecelia?! Although let's hope she's not a rather loose heartbreaker

As for this little bun, we've chatted a bit but nothing is really sticking out to us yet. I'm hoping to have a similar experience this PG that will really cement it (although not really hoping for any deaths!!)

Can't wait to see what all of you creative ladies come up with!

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#5 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Charlotte for a girl, no clue for a boy.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#6 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM

If it's a boy he'll be Elijah Thomas. We've had that picked out since I was preggers with my first child 8 years ago. We have no clue if it's another girl!

My girls names are Annagrace Rebekah and Madalyn Faith.
#7 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Shay for a girl (I was hoping for Gaia but DH can't get behind that one) and Wyatt for a boy. We also have Hali for a girl and Eli for a boy.

I have a thing for names with no short forms, I'm anal and want people to call my kids what I named them. The only one I broke my own rule with is Xander and even then people don't want to use Xan as a short form, they don't seem to like it. So yay!

Austin June 2006; Xander March 2008; Shay Nov 2009; 5 babies gone to heaven.
#8 of 42 Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 PM

At this point, I like Adrien for a boy. My mom's maiden name is Nicodemus and my husband is French, so I like Nicodeme (francofied form) for the middle name. For a girl, I've been set on Amelie for a while, but there are a lot of Amelias these days, so I'm wondering if we'll stick with it. I have also recently decided I like Margaux...but I might not like it with our last name or with our son's name. We'll see.

We played the name game for most of my pregnancy with ds. Then, we were set on girl names but had no idea on boy names. This time I'm set for a boy and waiver about the girl...I wonder if that means something?
#9 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM

We're for sure on Amy for a girl, but haven't decided on a middle name yet. I like Ruth or Catherine, but dh isn't crazy about them but hasn't come up with one he likes better either.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#10 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 PM

I have a Piper.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#11 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 PM

This made me laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
I think that every girl should have a song--I'm named after The Allman Bros. song.
I'm named after the Fleetwood Mac song, and I couldn't agree with you more, Frogautumn. And Halcyon is a beautiful name.

For boys I'm thinking Jude, Tristan, Finn, or Alastair. For girls, my top choice is top secret, but I'm also thinking about Sylvie, Isla, Lilah, and Luciana.

(I also love Coralie but it doesn't work with our last name.)

Gina--that's a great story about Cecelia. Gorgeous name, too.

Rose-Roget, I love all your choices. I'm thinking about Margaux for the mn for my top secret girl's fn name. Nicodeme is really cool.

Rhiannon (33), writer and grad student. Miscarriages in 5/08, 3/09, and 7/09.  Deliriously happy mom to DD (10 mos), 8 weeks premature and miracle baby.  Remembering her twin brother, lost 5/10 to pulmonary hypoplasia after PPROM (preterm premature rupture of membranes).
#12 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 PM

DH totally took the wind out of my sails but nixing my favorite girl name: Ruby.
#13 of 42 Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 PM

I am super weird about keeping my name ideas secret until I have marked something I love off the list because DH doesnt like the name. So like I love Piper, Charlotte, Nicolas, and Benjamin.. but we wont use those,lol.

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#14 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 AM

My husband and I have very similar taste in names, so the hardest part will be narrowing it down.

Our current favourites for each are:

Harrison, Kiefer, Finlay/Finn, Rowan, Liam, Declan, Elias/Eli, Walker, Beckett, Wyatt, Shepherd, and Arlo.

Esmé, Grace, Violet, Lillian/Lily, Isabella/Isabelle/Isabel/Ella, Ruby, Marlowe, Finlay, Rowan, Romy, Quinn, Ava, Poppy, Claire, Wallis, and Mia.
#15 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 03:33 AM

Right now I am loving Nicholas Joseph for a boy (both names are family names). DH isn't too sure so I'll have some convincing to do. For a girl I love either Leonor or Ellinor. Eleanor is also a family name. DH has made a face every time I have brought up that name so I know I will have a lot of convincing to do there!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#16 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 AM
rrs

We've chosen a boy name and a girl name, just like last time.

Boy:
Holden Pierce

Girl:
Delaney James

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#17 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 AM
rrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon09 View Post
This made me laugh:

I'm named after the Fleetwood Mac song, and I couldn't agree with you more, Frogautumn. And Halcyon is a beautiful name.
My middle name is Rhiannon, for the Fleetwood Mac song, also! I love my middle name, I feel like my name is incomplete without it. It feels so special when I hear "Rhiannon."

Delaney is also from a song, because I felt the same way!

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#18 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 AM

We do have ONE girl's name that is in consideration: Violet. My hubby's grandmother was named that and she passed away last year at the age of 102! I love it but hubby is still on the fence about it. And I don't want people to think we're trying to be the Afflecks!
#19 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
DH totally took the wind out of my sails but nixing my favorite girl name: Ruby.
Ooh..that's too bad. I can completely relate thought, because a running gag between my husband and I is that we have to have a girl, because we cannot agree on any boy names. Every name I loved, his reply was "that's a dumb name"! Talk about constructive!!!

Girl names, however have never been an issue. So far (and things can change for sure) we both like Anneka and Azadeh. I like Anneka more, and him Azadeh, because it's Persian (he was born in Iran). I must admit it would probably be more meaningful, plus it can be said in English and French easily (an important thing for me, since I'm French-Canadian), and what I love the most about that name is it's meaning: freedom. So I guess for those reasons I would go for it, but I really, really like the name Anneka!

One thing for sure is that a girl would have my grandmother's name as a MN: Florence.

As for boys, the only one we seem to agree to is Kian, another persian name. We also like Kehvan (prounounced Kay-vahn), but I'm afraid people would call him Kevin. I have nothing against that name, but it's not the one we picked.

BTW, I love this thread, it's really fun!!! Keep your ideas coming!
#20 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Dh wants Finn or Fiona. I like both names, but (seeing as we've got almost 8 months to go!) I'd like to consider some other names. I'm just worried that the baby might not "feel" like a Finn or Fiona, so I need back-ups, kwim?

Girls- Fiona, Francesca and Lydia. Pretty sure the mn will be Anne.
Boys- Finn, Lief, Rowan, Torin and Oliver. We're discussing Harland for a mn.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#21 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 01:48 PM

For our first child, each one wrote a list for girls and boys, well for girl was easy because the only one name that we match was "Victoria" and for boys we match in 2 names, "Peter" and "Henry", both we put first Peter then Henry, so his name is "Peter Henry".

Now this list game has some rules, nobody that we knows (family or friend) have to use that name (dead or live person). I was in the hospital 1st day after the birth and my mother in law said that hubby's grand father was Peter and also her second son's 1st name is Peter, so since that day, I said:

When we get our second pregnancy I choose the name if it is a boy and if it is a Girl will be Victoría.

So now for our second Child the names are

Thomas Henry (My grandfathers name thomas....Henry is Hubby's second name, hahahaha!!!!, hubby hates Thomas, lol)
Victoria for a Girl

we don't look meanings and nothing else, just the name we like

Victorian Patch
*** thinking positive help my dreams come true ***
#22 of 42 Old 03-08-2009, 08:47 PM

I love hearing all the unusual names you ladies come up with! They are so beautiful. Especially love Ellinor, Piper, Charlotte, Thomas, Lillah, Fiona, Oliver, and the mn Florence. Also Rebecca I love the name Carter!! So cute.

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#23 of 42 Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 AM

i love names too. i have been thinking of names since my last child was born.

i'm not officially in this ddc yet, but i wanted to go ahead and chime in.

i love some of the names you guys have already stuck out there.

here is what we are really leaning toward

boy:
phinehas
oscar
kanaan

girl:
finolla
khameo
estelle
layla
hazel
rae

but OMG i love Avye so much. that is the best name ever. DH aunt is Evie and he wants to name a kid after her and i'm always like can't we do something similar but not quite the same...i can't promise i wont steal your name!!!! i also like the spelling Aeve
#24 of 42 Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 AM

We haven't started our lists yet, but I'm excited to We aren't finding out the sex of the baby and we aren't picking names until he/she is born... we will just have a list of 5 or so for each sex. That's what we did with DD (although we did know she was a girl) and it worked great.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#25 of 42 Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehliouise View Post

but OMG i love Avye so much. that is the best name ever. DH aunt is Evie and he wants to name a kid after her and i'm always like can't we do something similar but not quite the same...i can't promise i wont steal your name!!!! i also like the spelling Aeve
You can steal it. I would feel honoured. I like Evie and Aeve too!!

#26 of 42 Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM

About 4 months ago, I had a dream about a little girl with red hair and my husband was holding her. Her name was Maggie. I've since had 2 other dreams about her and it's always the same girl and there is always a flashing "Maggie" in the dream. So if its a girl...Maggie Lee (Lee is a family name, namely after my uncle that died a few years ago).We are at risk for twins so we have a 2nd girl name picked out as well... Molly. No middle name on that one yet.
Boys--??? We have no clue. We're trying to come to an agreement.... I really like Duncan and Daniel but he says no. He wants a Jameson... but it only reminds me of the alcohol...
#27 of 42 Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyVorpe View Post
About 4 months ago, I had a dream about a little girl with red hair and my husband was holding her. Her name was Maggie. I've since had 2 other dreams about her and it's always the same girl and there is always a flashing "Maggie" in the dream. So if its a girl...Maggie Lee (Lee is a family name, namely after my uncle that died a few years ago).We are at risk for twins so we have a 2nd girl name picked out as well... Molly. No middle name on that one yet.
Boys--??? We have no clue. We're trying to come to an agreement.... I really like Duncan and Daniel but he says no. He wants a Jameson... but it only reminds me of the alcohol...
LOVE your names! My sister is due in a few weeks, her girl name is Molly. My SIL is due 3 weeks before me, her girl name is Maggie.

Speaking of alcohol...my DS is Jack - if we have a boy I would love Daniel. Jack and Daniel? Is that weird?

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#28 of 42 Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Hi There!
Glad to see we're not the only ones with our names already picked out!
My partner (Kate) has two middle names, as does her younger brother, and my dad, so we've decided our kids will also have two middle names. We've chosen a first name we both like and then paired it with two family middle names!

So here they are
BOY NAMES:
Rylen Nicholas Maxwell (Nicholas is Kate's oldest brother and Maxwell is my grandfather)
Jaxen Dennis William (Dennis is my dad and william is a family name on kate's side)
Sakaden Jeremy Alexander (Jeremy is my brother and Alexander is Kate's nephew)

GIRL NAMES:
Dekaylee May Katherine (May is my middle name as well as my mom's and great grandmother's and Katherine is obviously Kate's full name)
Zeva Denise Alynn (Denise is the feminine version of Dennis - my dad and Alynn is a feminine version of Kate's dad Alan)

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
#29 of 42 Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Well our kids so far are:

Rhys Christopher William (fn pr. Reese)
Niamh Beatrix Anne (fn pr. Neev)
Isla Isobel Mavis (fn pr. eye-la)

On the table thus far are:

For a girl:

My favorite currently is Scarlett. Also in the running are Honora, Coralie, Ailis (aye-lish) and DH is pushing for Caoimhe (Keeva) but I think it makes even Niamh's name seem simple by comparison and I don't think its going to happen LOL.

For a boy:

We had the names Heath, Grey and Ioan (yoh-an) left over from when Isla was born. I do still really like them but not sold on using any of them this time. There is also Graeme left from when Niamh was born and Miles from when Rhys was born LOL so we have lots of boy choices left.

I have suggested Cian (kee-an) but DH thinks it sounds funny with his last name.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#30 of 42 Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

I love Isla... DH doesn't though

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page