ibprophen or acetomiophen - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been up since 5:30 with a pounding headache fever and nausea ( don't think its morning sickness yet) I can't remember wich one is ok to take.
TIA

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM

Tylenol. I'm too tired to spell the name for it.

Mommy to ds12, dd11, ds8, ds6, dd4, ^dd^ HB Loss, and dd 1
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No ibuprofen during pregnancy. Tylenol's ok.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Just ditto-ing.

Acetaminophen only.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM

acetaminophen only (tylenol)

ibuprofen/motrin/advil/aspirin can act as blood thinners and cause bleeding.

hope you feel better!

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Not your DDC, but my understanding is that advil is ok until the last trimester. It is the only thing that works for me, so I have taken it a few times.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 PM

acetaminatophin is the recognized safe one.

ibupofin is not considered safe but some people use it anyway with no adverse reactions.

Austin June 2006; Xander March 2008; Shay Nov 2009; 5 babies gone to heaven.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
i only ever take advil so that all I had in the house. I had to run out and get some tylenol. Feeling better now, my head isn't pounding anymore at least.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post
Not your DDC, but my understanding is that advil is ok until the last trimester. It is the only thing that works for me, so I have taken it a few times.
No this is wrong. There is a birth defect caused by motrin early on. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know because I broke my ribs last pregnancy and had a wicked case of bronchitis besides and I was dying and begging for motrin since the painkillers they were giving me (basically tylenol with narcotics in them) didn't work worth a crap. They were VERY adamant that I not have even the littlest bit of motrin.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Ibuprofen is only safe in the second trimester.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
No this is wrong. There is a birth defect caused by motrin early on. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know because I broke my ribs last pregnancy and had a wicked case of bronchitis besides and I was dying and begging for motrin since the painkillers they were giving me (basically tylenol with narcotics in them) didn't work worth a crap. They were VERY adamant that I not have even the littlest bit of motrin.
: Very true, and it's also linked to early miscarriage.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM

No ibprophen. From what my mw said and from a little research, it has to do with a valve in the heart.
I suffer from migrains that unfortunatly do not go away with pregnancy, and though shorter are more severe. 800mg of motrin is the only thing that will get me though the worst of it. With ds1 I pretty much suffered it out. I was able to sleep the day away if I could. With ds2 I couldn't since i had to take care of ds1, so I asked my mw if I could take it. I was either in my 2nd or 3rd trimester, I think the 3rd, because she said at that time, the valve should have been developed by then, but to only take the motrin if I absolutely had to, and the lowest dose-like for me to try 200 instead of 800. Also like pp said, being a blood thinner, she didn't want me taking it to close to delivery, so yeah, it must have been in the 3rd trimester.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Are there other painkillers a pregnant woman could use? I cannot take acetaminophen - my liver does not process it very well, and if ibuprofen and motrin are out, what else is there? Is aspirin considered safer?

Regarding migraines: a friend of mine was told to treat her migraines with caffein and vitamin C. She said it gave her some relieve.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM

I don't know about asprin. I thought I read it wasn't good, but I could be mistaken.

Does anyone know if Emergen C is safe to drink. I want to think it is, since my mw gave it to me at the end of the last pregnancy, but maybe because it was the end? I'm not tired so much yet even though I've quit caffiene. But if vit C might help my migraines I'm willing to try it. Especially if it's going to boost my energy when the tiredness hits.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM

I google about aspirin during pregnancy and it is not suggested either, as it has been linked to misscarriages.

Emergen C has different products, just watch out, that you don't pick one with too much Vitamin A, which is not good in excessive doses during pregnancy, and if you take Vitamin A, don't eat lots of liver.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
Ummm... Not from everything I have ever read. According to kellymom it is rated B (the same as tylenol) in the first and second trimester:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

Doctors have told me it is fine until the last trimester - that is when it can affect heart development.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 PM

There have been two studies that show ibuprofen is linked to early miscarriage and can interfere with implantation. Several others did not show this. That being said, I won't be taking ibuprofen during my pregnancy and certainly not in high doses. I take tylenol only when needed. I usually try a bath or warm tea first (ie for headache). My OB from the beginning of my first pregnancy said use tylenol preferrably but no ibuprofen 1st or 3rd trimester.
Just because they are both category B doesn't mean much. Cat B drugs include a vast array of drugs, some I'd be willing to take (risk vs. benefit) and others I'd never touch with a ten foot pole while pregnant....just a heads up.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 PM

http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail....n&TradeId=4069

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott

User Tag List