Ummm...I've LOST 7.5 lbs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I AM about 40 lbs overweight, and I've been eating WAY better, although also m/s'ing a lot ; I've been drinking a ton of water, taking vitamins, I stopped drinking (I used to drink a LOT I'm realizing)...I would expect this kind of loss maybe if I weren't pg.

But am I allowed to LOSE 7.5 lbs???? I'm at 7w4d (I think; doctor next week). Should I call the doctor, or just feel good about my healthy new choices?

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#2 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 PM

I'm pretty sure your weight loss is normal. Making healthy choices on top of morning sickness can do that for ya. I'm sure that this is probably a good thing since you're over wieght. I wished and hope that I would lose weight in the beginning since I am technically obese ... but no luck for me!

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll gain it back in baby pretty quick!

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#3 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 AM

I agree with the PP, I'm sure you're fine and that you will eventually gain it back in baby.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#4 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 01:17 AM

I've lost 6 or 7 myself. I was *stunned*, but I'm craving fresh things and avoiding greasy stuff because it makes me nauseous, so I guess it's going twofold, there. I hate to buy myself a belt and then only use it for a week, but seriously, my pants will soon fall off my hips.

My sister in law said she lost about 10 lbs with both of hers before she started gaining again.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#5 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 AM

It is completely normal. Try not to worry and talk with your Doc about it when you go in. I have lost about 10 lbs so far. Alot of people I know lose in the 1st trimester. I actually had a friend that never gained weight but she was overweight and her doc was monitoring it the whole time.

Rebekah married to Justin Mama to Jonah and Josiah
#6 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 AM

You are fine. Wiith my first, I weighed 5 lbs less at delivery than when I got pregnant. The Drs were flipping and sent me to a nutritionist, well I knew what to eat, I just couldn't (m/s and nausea). I usually lose weight most of my pgs. It may just be what your body does, and losing weight first tri is really common. Most people gain it back and more 2nd and 3rd tri. As long as you are eating healthy food regularly, you are fine!

Oh and even with losing weight, my 1st was 8 lbs and the last 4 have been 9lbs 4 oz, so its not an issue for baby at all.

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#7 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM

I have to agree with everyone here. Just with the healthy food choices and stopping drinking, you're saving yourself a lot of calories that you used to take in. If you are worried, call the doctor to get some reassurance, but I think you're probably fine, too!

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#8 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM

I am down 5.5pounds as well. Just the m/s paired with my new food likings (salad, vegetables, fruits, cold food) and my dislikings of my usual favorites (warm meals, carbs, sweet things, cheese, dairy). I just compared some pre-pregnancy photos, my husband has taken beginning January and some photos from this week - my whole body is changing - my boobs are bigger, my butt smaller, my belly more femalish, but my waist thinner.

I spoke to my midwife two days ago, and she said, to watch out not to lose to much, but she also said this for some woman is normal.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#9 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Agreeing with everyone else... I continued to lose weight until I was 14 weeks PG with DD. After that my all-day nausea lifted and I gained weight, not a whole lot - but enough to have a very healthy and chubby 9 lb 8 oz baby!

You are probably just eating way healthier and that minus the alcohol - will definitely make the pounds drop.

Congrats to you... I hope all goes well.

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

#10 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 AM

As long as you are eating healthy then you are probably just fine.

With DS, I lost 13# in the first trimester and ended up giving birth at just 6# above prepregnancy weight.

With DD, I didn't lose but hardly gained. Total was only about 18#.

With this one, I have already lost 3.5. I just can't stand to eat but when I do, it is only healthy stuff.

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
#11 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 PM

I am sure I have lost some weight so far between being sick and MS
How much you gain wont neccesairly impact how much your baby weighs.
DD I gained 60 lbs and she was 7lbs 1 oz
DS gained 35lbs and he was 8lbs

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#12 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Yah, I agree w/ the PPs. I lost 8lbs or so w/ DD and she was a healthy 8lbs14oz. You're probably ok as long as you're staying hydrated!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#13 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 02:18 PM

I stepped on the scale this morning and was also about 7.5 lbs less than last time I weighed myself. Though I don't have m/s, but I've been drinking tons of tea (nettle, alfalfa and rasp leaf) and miso broth. And eating healthier, mostly just getting more fruit.

With dd I gained about 40 lbs; I went from 180-185 to 225-230 (I'm 6'2). This preg I'm starting out around 220-225, so I'm curious to see what my body does this time around. I'm hoping it doesn't think I need to put on 40 lbs again! I'll be hiding the scale if that trend appears. I'm thinking 20 lbs would be just fine...that's exactly the amount of instant weight loss I experienced giving birth the first time. Now, if only I hadn't gained those 20 lbs back.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#14 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM

I've always lost weight in the first tri with my two previous pregnancies... and I probably have with this one too, but I haven't stepped on the scale since I found out I was pregnant. I always gain it back and then usually another 35 - 40 lbs on top of it. I somewhat worry about the weight loss as I'm underweight to begin with, so I drink Ensure and try to eat healthy food (sweet tarts and sour candies being my weakness).

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#15 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
I somewhat worry about the weight loss as I'm underweight to begin with, so I drink Ensure
This is exactly what my mom (a Dietitian- does GD /prenatal counseling and NICU babies) recommends.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#16 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
This is exactly what my mom (a Dietitian- does GD /prenatal counseling and NICU babies) recommends.
good to know... I know my dr recommended it with dd1 when I lost weight. So I've continued to do it with each pregnancy when it gets harder to eat.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#17 of 18 Old 03-28-2009, 02:54 PM

I lost 10 pounds with my first child and 8 with my second. It's normal and you'll catch up in the next few months!
#18 of 18 Old 03-28-2009, 11:05 PM

I lost 8 pounds in my first trimester with ds... and I was slightly underweight when I got pregnant. You can't help it, and in my case I started gaining weight normally in the second and third trimesters. My doctor (just a gp but still) was not at all concerned, and told me to stop worrying because it was out of my hands. (Of course, I didn't stop worrying. Then I worried because I put on too much weight.) Yeah I went on to gain 40 lbs (at leased, I stopped getting weighed after that and that was at about 35 weeks!)

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page