anyone in maternity clothes yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this "thing" about maternity clothes... I was not in them till 5 months with my first and 4 months with my second... but I am so oddly misshapen now (or extremely bloated- I definitely have a flabby belly, I think... )I definitely am still carrying around about 10 lbs of baby weight from last time. Nothing fits. I broke down and got 2 pairs of maternity pants for work (I am a chef- just plain black elastic waist from Motherhood). I feel like I am jinxing myself by digging out the maternity stuff. But what choice do I have- otherwise I will be living in my yoga pants, 2 pairs of which have paint splatters, one with a hole in the knee.... haha!

Is it too early for maternity clothes?

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM

The waistband on all of my pants are really bugging me too. I haven't gained any weight, but there is definitely a difference as far as my middle is concerned.

I am wearing my bigger stuff and feel better, but the maternity things are still too big.

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM

I'm not yet, but I'm both tall and a bit overweight, so I can 'hide' a belly a little easier... I didn't wear mat clothes until 4 mos with my last (3rd) pg, and that was the earliest I had to..

I'd think, being a chef that you would have to have pants that fit-- you need to be comfortable while yu stand and work for long hours!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM

Sadly I'm still partly in maternity clothes. I didn't start to lose the weight until about 5 months ago and while I've lost 36lbs I don't fit into my old clothes (differently shaped body). Today I'm wearing regular pants but a maternity shirt. It's a medium and doesn't LOOK maternity so it works out for me

I guess it works out in my favor that I bought maternity clothes last summer to wear since I couldn't find clothes that fit my body. At least I know I've got some things to wear this summer!

So, to answer your question, I'm already in maternity because I never fully got out of it.

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM

I've been in maternity clothes since a couple of days since I got my BFP. Being my 7th I pop early and I was straining the elastic on the couple pairs of sweatpants I have.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: I've been wearing maternity pants for about 3 weeks now and started on maternity shirts this past week!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:54 AM

I freaked out last Monday at work; getting dressed was near impossible and I had to sit at my desk with my pants unbuttoned. I also haven't gained any weight (in fact, lost some), but the biggest part of my clothes was already the waist since I carry my extra 40 lbs straight in my tummy; the new inch or so of stretching was too much for me to bear.

So I went and bought lots of pants, and a few shirts to get started. I may wear maternity clothes forever; when you carry all your weight in your belly, it's REALLY nice to not have to deal with a waistband!

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I feel like a whale. I have about 30 extra lbs to begin with, but my 2 pairs of regular jeans that DID fit now look like they are painted on. I keep telling myself it is the dryer. but of course, I am bloated and living on carbs. THAT can't be helping!

I feel so huge, I am going to just live in yoga pants whenever possible.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 AM

I gave up the fight this week. I just was sick of being cut in half and unable to breathe in my regular pants. And, oh, I am so happy now! Who cares what week I am, I don't wear too tight clothes when I am not pg so why do it when I have an excuse to bust out the most comfortable pants ever!

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM

I alternate between a pair of jeans that used to be my 'bloated day' pants and a pair of stretchy maternity jeans. So far that's all I've gotten maternity wise. I have several tops I should be able to wear for at least a couple more months.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 AM

Not yet, although I think that my pants will be too tight in the legs before my belly. I needed a belt for my pants before- I was on the 3rd rung and yesterday I was only on the first. My belly seems to be a bit higher than where my waist is on my pants- they are low rise but not super low rise. I do feel my upper body getting bigger though- my shirts are feeling tighter.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm wearing my normal pants unbuttoned with the belly band. It's weird because I've actually lost some weight but my middle is just thicker. First baby so I know it's not baby that's showing.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM

I've been in maternity for the past 2.5 weeks (will be 9 weeks tomorrow). This is my 5th pregnancy (only carried three to term), and I'm short, so the pooch has no where to go but OUT!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
pjs

I'm waiting until after my next appt to drag the maternity clothes out. If babe is healthy and on track, out come the maternity clothes.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM

With my second I was in them really early... 5 weeks or something. This time I have a lot of "fat clothes" because I lost weight before getting pregnant again. So I've been making due with them. I honestly thought I'd be in maternity by now but I'm not. I'm not really ready for it to be honest. I did go and get two pairs of pants over the weekend because I had a coupon for Kohl's. I'm hoping to get by another week or two before I *have* to wear them. I'm 8w4d today.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM

This is the third and I too am in maternity clothes... and have been since about week 6! I am so bloated! Oh well... seems like my maternity clothes are much cuter than my regular clothes.

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Not yet, although I think that my pants will be too tight in the legs before my belly. I needed a belt for my pants before- I was on the 3rd rung and yesterday I was only on the first. My belly seems to be a bit higher than where my waist is on my pants- they are low rise but not super low rise. I do feel my upper body getting bigger though- my shirts are feeling tighter.
OMG! I'm so glad to hear this!
I've been complaining that this baby is growing in my butt!!! My pants are tight in the thighs, and this afternoon I slipped on a jacket and it was tight in the upper body...it fit fine 2 weeks ago!
But my waist is still pretty comfortable!!! (Though I guess, to be fair, most of my pants the waist is too big, since I have a small waist compared to my hips and thighs)
Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM

I just posted in here a week ago and I'm in maternity now. My pants just got insanely tight and I said screw it. I'm not filling them out yet obviously but they don't look ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:27 PM

I am not in them yet, but wearing regular jeans with the top unbuttoned! But I saw my SIL last night who had her baby (most likely her last) just under a year ago, and offered to give me all her maternity clothes! I was so excited cause it can get expensive for stuff you're only going to wear for a few months! Anyhow, I won't be in them yet, but I will be getting some, hopefully!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Nope, not yet. This is my first baby so I probably won't be in maternity clothes for quite a while yet. I can tell my lower abdomen (under belly button) is thicker, feels kind of bloated, eventhough I've lost 15 pounds due to sickness. Funny how that works, lol!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM

First baby here, so no maternity clothes, but there is a definite, DEFINITE "pooch" that seems mostly made of fat, but DH says it looks different than when I was "just fat". I hope he is right. It is squishy like fat still and I can wear my stuff that was slightly biggish for me no problem still. I am not even trying to wear some of the stuff that was fitting just right before. I think it will be a while before maternity clothes, but this in between stage is weird.

It's normal to have this "fat pooch" right?

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellist View Post
I don't really have a defined bump yet- just sorta like my lower belly fat (mainly leftover from DD ) is pushed up and around my waist! Yuck! And FWIW, I'm not fitting into all maternity yet, just mixing in my "fat" clothes.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Yeah, mine definitely looks and feels more like fat than a baby bump. I guess it is normal. Feels weird!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, mine definitely looks and feels more like fat than a baby bump. I guess it is normal. Feels weird!

It is normal I had it with Ds and have it now with this baby. I cannot stand this part of the pregnancy I alsways just feel fat and with this one I am heavy about 20pounds over weight but do not look like it (I carry weight well where I do not look over weight it is not wishful thinking) I went out and got a pair of yoga pants and my jeans and kakis are stretch so I am somewhat okay I do want something more cozy but I cannot afford to get anything else right now so I have to deal Dp bought me some yoga pants I have sweatshirts and other shrits that fit well. But if I could get some I would totally be in them! I really just want one or two more yoga pants/capris I am also waiting for some warm weather also it is so wacky right now here in WNY it is makeing me nutty!!!!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I have this little "humph" as well, it is waaaay higher than my uterus, so no baby there . It looks a bit like those Renaissance women with the little poking out belly My legs and hips are slimmer though, so actually a lot of my pants are too lose right now. It is really fascinating how a body changes, once a little baby is in there.

The only thing I could by is some new tops - as my breast expanded a lot of my tops just don't fit and are either way to short or way to tight

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 AM

Well, I am pretty overweight and this is baby #3 so my body is doing some weird things. My upper abdomen is growing so much. The bottom pretty much looks the same with all of the fat down there, but the top is sticking out a lot. I told DH today that I think I am going to have to switch over because I am getting really uncomfortable, and tired of being cut in half. Strangely though because I am so round anyway my pants will not stay up, I think I need the waistband or they just roll down! I think it must be because of everything moving up to prepare room for the baby down below. My body must be getting the hang of this pregnancy thing!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunShineSally View Post
It is normal I had it with Ds and have it now with this baby. I cannot stand this part of the pregnancy I alsways just feel fat and with this one I am heavy about 20pounds over weight but do not look like it (I carry weight well where I do not look over weight it is not wishful thinking) I went out and got a pair of yoga pants and my jeans and kakis are stretch so I am somewhat okay I do want something more cozy but I cannot afford to get anything else right now so I have to deal Dp bought me some yoga pants I have sweatshirts and other shrits that fit well. But if I could get some I would totally be in them! I really just want one or two more yoga pants/capris I am also waiting for some warm weather also it is so wacky right now here in WNY it is makeing me nutty!!!!

Don't forget to check Goodwill's around you. We have a really nice one here that always has decent maternity clothes. And we also have a 2nd hand maternity (only) store that isn't too bad either (Once Upon a Mom or something like that). i wouldn't have any maternity clothes at all if they weren't 2nd hand. They are too expensive for the little time they are worn.

I am definately feeling fat and blah...but try to make do in athletic shorts, big tshirts (and right now since it is cold, athletic pants and sweatshirts) etc. And my whole belly is bloated too-- I think it's from all your insides moving up. I JUST LOVE looking fat!!! Can't wait til it looks more like a baby pouch and less like a fat blob!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 PM

Cellist....I have the same thing. I am at 7.5 weeks (this will be my first) and I really only have a "poochy" looking belly. Today my pants felt a bit tight at work, but very similar to how they felt during PMS times.

I haven't gained a pound (still weighing myself every day-- a habit I have had for years....lolol)-- but my belly looks like I have!!! lolol
Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Leah, at nearly 11 weeks, I am getting muffin top in some of my pants, but that's about it. Lovely!

User Tag List