Overwhelmed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The sink is overflowing with dishes, the trash can is overflowing with garbage, the laundry hampers are overflowing with dirty clothes, the dryer is full, the textbook is unread, the final is unstudied-for, the three-year-old is asking the "why" question sixty times per minute while refusing to eat her dinner, the husband and mother-in-law are away, the friends are busy.

The mama is near tears.

I haven't the slightest idea how I'm going to cope with having a baby and all of this, too. It's a horrible thing to say and I know I'll feel differently after it's born, but I really, really think it's unfair that some people who want to have babies can't get pregnant.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Don't have much to say, but I totally feel you. I wanted children close together although the third was a surprise and I constantly feel overwhelmed. And tired. For awhile I was pretty sure I has PPD. But now, the worst of it is over and I try not to stare at the mess, but do something (not necessarily cleaning either). FWIW, I work FT and am taking classes for my MPH on-line.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#3 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 10:35 PM

I don't have much advice, just remember if the laundry, dishes, etc don't get done tonight thats ok, their not going anywhere. School will be done soon!!! I can't wait! And your energy should be coming back soon. I just cleaned my house for the first time in about 4 weeks, I know thats super gross, but I just did not have the energy. I would pick up a little here and there, but this week I finally went through and really deep cleaned everything. This is my first(and second) baby(s) and I am terrified that when they are born I won't be able to handle it. I just keep reminding myself to take it one day at a time, its not the end of the world if the housework doesnt get done. There are more important things in life! I hope you feel better soon!

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#4 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel yah.

Hang in there, it will get better. Please forget about your housework for right now.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 01:32 AM

I completely understand. I have been/am with you. Hang in there, the housework will always be there tomorrow. Although I understand that doesn't help anything, it is true
#6 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 AM

It is so frustrating, I know. I feel the same most of the time. I keep telling my dh that its just 3 weeks to go and I'll be more together again, and he'll be able to find clean underwear without digging through laundry baskets and walk through the house without tripping over toys and boots.

If it helps, remind yourself that your body is busy forming a human's vital organs right now. That is a lot of work and takes a ton of energy. I think a sink full of dishes pales in comparison to the huge task your body is already doing.

Hang in there.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#7 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 AM

I'm with you sister! My husband is gone for a month and my 2 high energy boys are really exhausting. I'm just trying to get through one day at a time Hang in there!

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
#8 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 08:48 AM

I totally hear you. I found 1/2 an oreo on the kitchen floor and burst into tears! There's just so much STUFF around and it's making me mad.

I need a maid.

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#9 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 AM

I know how you feel.
After next week I am hoping things will be a bit better.
Right now I have had 4 daycare kids to care for in addition to my own 2.
I have been so sick and exausted that nothing but feeding them and changing them is getting done.
My DH has been great for the most part, but some days I just can't handle it.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#10 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 AM

I understand. Dh has been in another state for 2 weeks for training and my 6yo is very clingy. Plus we're getting ready to sell our house. Makes me want to crawl under a rock somedays.
#11 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 AM

I'm here, too and I don't even have a little one already. I'd say you're doing admirably. Our house is a wreck - dog got in the garbage and now the carpets need to be scrubbed. The dishes are under control, but I could do laundry for a month straight like it were my job and still not catch up. The nursery needs to be cleaned so we can start some minor construction on it, the "craft room" is just a room where things get shoved, so even my craft projects are strewn about the house. The yard is atrocious, shrubs need trimmed, weeds need pulled.

I'm too embarrassed to ask for help, but I don't know where to start. I've failed flylady so many times. *sigh*

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#12 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 AM

I think it is normal- so I tell myself. I have 2 and the house is somewhat clean a couple of times a week- but hasn't had a real deap cleaning since pregnancy. I am also counting down until the 2nd trimester and praying it brings more energy. In the meantime my daughters b-day party is postponed until I can pull it together for more than a day at a time(more like an hour- I get an hour or two every couple of days and speed clean real quick).

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#13 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM

I am not experiencing exactly the same things because this is going to be my first. But I am tired ALL the time and DH has been doing a LOT around the house that he usually doesn't. I feel terrible because we are both working and should be sharing the responsibility but he hasn't even breathed a sigh of complaint. I am lucky that way. I wanted to come give a big hug ! Just remember to keep on smilin Things will look up!
#14 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Oh boy do I hear you mama. We just barely finished remodeling our kitchen and the house is still disgusting as a result of that insanity. My dd is starting to crawl now and my floors are never clean enough for her, she's always finding a ball of cat hair to try and put in her mouth or something. Dh is great, I mean he re-did our whole kitchen almost entirely himself...but now that's done he's dragging his feet with getting stuff back in order and I'm trying to be patient because he worked so hard to get my kitchen looking beautiful :sigh:.
I'm praying by the time November rolls around our house will feel more settled and organized.

Wife to dh and mama to : dd (7/08) and ds (11/09)
#15 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat View Post
It's a horrible thing to say and I know I'll feel differently after it's born, but I really, really think it's unfair that some people who want to have babies can't get pregnant.
Can't thank you enough for saying this out loud. I think this almost daily and I was feeling really bad about it. But I really didn't feel like I could tell anyone - so thanks for bringing it up. And I know it'll change too. This is just really really really hard and they're not even here yet.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#16 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 PM

ugh what is cleaning? is that the laying in bed for hrs a day i do? my ms isnt getting a whole lot better and i refuse to take the pills my OB gave me
my prenatals make it 10times worse so for the time being i am a hermit!
i cant get my body to fall asleep or stay asleep for more then 4hrs ugh but i believe THIS TOO SHALL PASS! hang in there hunny it will get better

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#17 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
Can't thank you enough for saying this out loud. I think this almost daily and I was feeling really bad about it. But I really didn't feel like I could tell anyone - so thanks for bringing it up. And I know it'll change too. This is just really really really hard and they're not even here yet.
You're single, and I'm married and have an only child who would love a sibling! So it seems to me almost like you have more of a "right" to feel this way than I do...but I do. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#18 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM

It must be so hard having to go through this phase all by yourself. Be easy on yourself. Is there a friend you could ask for a bit of help around the house, maybe in exchange for a dinner together?

I am so lucky to be in the same boat as mrizzo.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page