November Home Birthers...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do we have one?

Can we start one?

I would love to read what all you homebirthers are thinking about, planning, questioning.... We are considering a homebirth and I am just soaking up everything I can.

Anyway, let's see how many we have in our due date club!

Kelly

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
#2 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Me! We are planning our third birth with our midwife, and second homebirth with her. I'm so excited

I'm thinking about trying hypnobabies this time around. I didn't do much labor prep with my other two, and everything went fine with DS, but DD's labor wasn't as smooth and I wasn't expecting that - which makes me want to prepare for this birth more.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#3 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 AM

We're planning a homebirth! This will be our first...DS was born via unnecessary induction
I feel really strongly about doing things completely differently this time.

I'm interested in the hypnobabies cds as well. Can anyone make a recommendation?
#4 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are planning a homebirth. As far as planning, hmmm.... well I dumped my OB and starting seeing a MW- does that count?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Me. No planning here, just go with the flow. I would like to try out the soaker tub this time around though.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#6 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM

I'm doing a homebirth too! It's my second birth but first homebirth so I'm excited. I love my midwife. She just came over today for a heartbeat check (11 weeks) but we didn't hear anything so she'll be back in two weeks. Can't wait!
#7 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 PM

I'm having my first home birth, 3rd baby. First 2 were in the hospital with a doctor so this is a whole new thing for me. I'm not planning too much right now, just reading everything I can get my hands on about natural childbirth, and I'm going to take Bradley classes and prenatal yoga.

SAHM to 3 girls
#8 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM

I am thinking about homebirth. I am not finding a midwife as close as I would like, but I had previous long labors... I had a 3 hour glucose test yesterday so a lot depends on those results as well... DH isn't all the way behind me either...
#9 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Me!

No planning yet either, but I'll get there. Also, no hypnobabies for me (too much work!)

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#10 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my DS was a csection for breech presentation. DD was a midwife attended hospital birth. Her birth went way out of control. I was doing great until I got to the hospital. Then, they had to break my water and put internal monitors in since I was a VBAC. After that, I couldn't cope AT ALL and ended up with an epidural (which was a little piece of heaven at the time). I believe that breaking my water put my body into overdrive. Since, for the first time I even labored with a baby (no contractions with DS), she was born in just 5 hours after 3 pushed on just one contraction. Needless to say, my body worked way faster than it should have and I think this is the reason that I hemorraghed afterwards. The midwife was able to stop it but it was a bit scary there for a few minutes.

Anyway, I started thinking about homebirth right after this happened. Started wondering what might have happened if they hadn't broken my water. DH was firmly against hb but I think he realized that he was negating something out of not understanding and fear. So, he thought meeting and talking with a midwife would be the best thing to do. She is visiting us tomorrow and I am so excited and nervous.

It remains to be seen whether we will decide a hb or hospital is best but it is great to possibly have the choice!

Oh, and I did hypbirth with DD and I LOVED it. DH even commented about how I was totally unreachable in my labor land. I have already started listening to it again. I downloaded everything to my ipod this time.

Maybe we can keep this thread going with hb type questions, comments, problems???

Kelly

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
#11 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 PM

I am still trying to decide, but I am leaning toward homebirth. I would really love to have one. Before I was pregnant, I knew I wanted a homebirth, but once I was actually pregnant, the decision seemed much more overwhelming... But still, I am thinking I will probably have a homebirth.

Our families are going to freak out!!! OMG I don't know how to tell them without them totally going off.

My SIL suffered a ruptured uterus during her birth, a lot of bleeding, and nearly had to have a hysterectomy, so I know that dh's side of the family will be very alarmed. But fortunately, my dh is very supportive.

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
#12 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRD View Post
Our families are going to freak out!!! OMG I don't know how to tell them without them totally going off.

My SIL suffered a ruptured uterus during her birth, a lot of bleeding, and nearly had to have a hysterectomy, so I know that dh's side of the family will be very alarmed. But fortunately, my dh is very supportive.
I hear you. I was worried, and once I made up my mind (DH was born at home so he was always supportive) I haven't looked back. I am dreaming of what I'll be doing while in labor- sitting on my patio? taking a bath? laying on my pillowtop mattress? walking around my backyard? All the stuff I couldn't do in a hospital...

That's frightening about your SIL. Was she on pit or was it all-natural? Scary, scary! Luckily it's EXREMELY RARE, and even more rare with unmedicated delivery.

GL with your decision!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#13 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM

This is my third baby, third (planned) out of hospital, second homebirth.

I'm not thinking about the birth at all at this point, but a friend/former client of mine had supplies from her homebirth-turned-hospital birth and gave them all to me last week. So I have most of my birth supplies sitting upstairs in the closet already. We are in a different house this time, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I'm a)having a baby in the first place and b)the baby will be born here.

I think there was a thread a while back but it's buried now. The homebirth forum here is a really great resource, too.
#14 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in. I've looked at Hypnobabies too, I'm going to get that by August. Seems way better for me than taking a class somewhere since I'm pretty much a solo mama and I think it would bum me out to be with all the happy couples.

I promise to start interviewing midwives and doulas next week.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#15 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 PM

On the subject of relatives freaking out... I only told people I knew would support me. I kind of went with a if they don't ask, don't tell them mentality. Part of that was because I told a lot of people about my first, which in the end was a transfer from a FSBC (for a long exhausting labor, no real complications) and I had to tell people about transferring. I also just didn't want the negativity. I am lucky enough to be surrounded with other homebirthing families, which was also helpful.

My mom had unmedicated births and was into things that were really out there at the time she had babies. So, talking to her about it wasn't too difficult, I just made sure I talked about it really early on (actually, before I got pregnant the second time) and that if she had questions I would happily answer them. My dad never said a word, but made a comment to me once about being a doula at homebirths and how I should protect myself in case of liability because of the "risk" of a homebirth. This was long after we'd done it, and I went into my whole soapbox monologue about why I feel hospital births can be riskier for low risk women.

The only person in my life who was really angry about it was my aunt. She works in a NICU and she thought it was a really irresponsible thing to do. She didn't even call me until two weeks after our son was born because she was so upset about it. Everyone else has either supported or kept their mouths shut. I think that's partly because no one really knew until after the baby was here.
#16 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
That's frightening about your SIL. Was she on pit or was it all-natural? Scary, scary! Luckily it's EXREMELY RARE, and even more rare with unmedicated delivery.
Oh, she was induced for being 5 days past due. Sad thing is, she had a great pregnancy, no health issues, everything fine, so I think it probably wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been induced, but you never know...

She is now pg with her 2nd child. I was surprised she could still carry a baby. She has the c/s incision as well, because when she was in labor, the baby was in distress and they performed a c/s. They didn't see the uterine rupture because it was on the backside of the uterus, and didn't find out about it until later when she was bleeding profusely. So anyway, I didn't think she'd be able to have more children, but I guess she can. I'm sure she must be extremely high risk though.

The funny thing is, my FIL said, "This is why women should give up their romantic notions of homebirth." I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WOMEN STILL DID THAT!! That comment is what got me started researching homebirth. Should I tell him????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
GL with your decision!

Thanks!!

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
#17 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM

I am due Nov. 28th and looking into doing a homebirth. I am looking for an experienced unlicensed midwife in utah. I haven't had any success finding anyone. Any suggestions?
#18 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Baby #1 for us, got the CPM and the Bradley class lined up.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#19 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Here. I'm thinking Please let everything go well so we don't have to do a hospital transfer and pay for it out of pocket. I'm also thinking Thank my midwives and OB from last time for letting me have a vaginal birth even though dd was breech so I don't have to pay for a VBAC or a repeat Cesarean out of pocket.

That about sums it up for me right now.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#20 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Yup, we had a homebirth thread going, but it fell off the front page. We are having our first HB. Our first was a posterior hospital OB birth and the other 5 were hospital births with CNMs. One of those was a water birth. I can't wait to have this HB. I've been wanting one since my 2nd pregnancy, but insurance was the hanging point for us. Hard to justify paying $3500+ for a homebirth when we pay $0 for a hospital birth. The CNMs and the hospital were pretty crunchy in general. (Although a PITB about GBS and eye goo...) But AFAIK, because we have a CNM for our HB the insurance is paying for it! : And I ADORE my midwife. (A few others in the Nov DDC are having here also.)

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#21 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 PM

I have no problem telling people we're going to have a homebirth. They want us to give birth in the hospital, they can pony up the money for it. I think it helps that we're hiring the same midwives we hired last time and they were really wonderful and facilitated our transfer to the hospital when we needed it--trusting the care providers is important to everyone, I believe. It also helps that I'm a second-time mom and that has, at least so far, given me the confidence I need to be able to tell people where to stick it. About pretty much everything.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#22 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 PM

this will be our third homebirth. no plans, really. i didn't love waterbirth, but we'll have the tub just in case - you never know!

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#23 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 PM

We are having a homebirth and I am sooooo excited! Our first birth was a natural birth in the hospital. I hired my midwife as a doula. This time there are no doubts, I want her as my primary care provider and I want to stay home!!!!

I used hypnobabies with my last birth and will use it again. I LOVED IT!
#24 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
pjs

This is our 4th baby, 2nd homebirth. Very excited about doing it all again. I used the hypnobabies home study course and felt is was a very comprehensive course all around. I didn't like the old hypnobirthing tapes (that accent drove me bananas)- but don't know if they've been updated since it's been 5 years since I researched hypnosis for birth.
#25 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 07:26 PM

I just told my midwife this morning I wanted to look into hypnobirthing and she mentioned hypnobabies. What is the difference (is there one)?
#26 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMama27 View Post
I just told my midwife this morning I wanted to look into hypnobirthing and she mentioned hypnobabies. What is the difference (is there one)?
I've heard that hypnobabies is more comprehensive. Here is a HUGE thread comparing them... http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?t=1037835

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#27 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat View Post
It also helps that I'm a second-time mom and that has, at least so far, given me the confidence I need to be able to tell people where to stick it. About pretty much everything.

Don't you wish you had it the first time around?! I feel the same way.

We've got the m/w lined up, not sure about a doula. There are a couple here, but I haven't 'connected' with either of them. It's too bad. I don't know what kind of help DH will be. I think he'd be good, but then all the stuff you read about with partners not really knowing how to help or what to do, etc, makes me worry, "What if he sucks!"

I'm excited but nervous about it. It will be a VBAC for me. There's a hospital close by (where I had an unnecessarean, and not VBAC friendly) in case of dire emergency. But the m/w is great with 30 years experience. I'm not a risk to her, which makes me feel good. She likes her moms to birth in water, which is what I'm after too.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#28 of 41 Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM

This will be my third child, second homebirth. We're using a different care provider this time due to insurance stuff. I'm sad that our last midwife won't be here for this birth (she doula-ed my oldest daughter's birth, so she's been there for both of my previous labors) but I really love the midwife team we're working with this time.

Because there's a whole team (two midwives and possibly an apprentice as well) attending the birth, I don't think we're going to use a doula this time. All the midwives are trained doulas as well, all are women I'd have felt comfortable hiring for doula work, and there should be enough of them there to support me as well as taking care of the medical stuff. If money weren't tight, I'd probably have my previous midwife there as a doula this time just because I would love for her to be there for all three of my children's births, but unless we have some sort of windfall between now and November I just can't justify the cost.

My advice to anyone feeling concerned about others' reactions is to go with the don't-ask-don't-tell approach. Most people won't even consider the possibility that you'll be delivering anywhere but the hospital, so you won't have to tell many people unless you want to. Tell them once the baby is here and safe - then they won't have anything to worry about.

My oldest sister spent my last pregnancy praying that I'd get preeclampsia so that I'd have to deliver in a hospital. (In her defense, she had a horrible birth experience with her oldest and honestly believes that she owes her life and possibly her son's to medical intervention.) She was scared half to death. No amount of data would convince her that this was a safe choice. I wish I'd not told her until after the birth - it would have saved her a lot of stress.

That said, I get a kick out of people's reactions, so I end up telling everyone about the homebirth plans, how great my midwives are, how much I loved my last homebirth, etc. It's a bit perverse, I know. But on the other hand, a surprising number of people have reacted positively, and I think I've even influenced a few women to consider homebirths. Granted most think I'm nuts, but that's not new.
#29 of 41 Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess152 View Post
I don't know what kind of help DH will be. I think he'd be good, but then all the stuff you read about with partners not really knowing how to help or what to do, etc, makes me worry, "What if he sucks!"
My DH absolutely sucks at labor support. He means well, but it freaks him out, poor guy.

My feeling is that there's no substitute for experienced labor support. There's just no contest between someone who's observed fewer than four births and someone who's provided support to numerous laboring mothers. And a spouse is so invested in your well-being that it can be hard to step back far enough to see what might help you when you're going through the rough bits.

Do you love your MW? Does she have an assistant who can fill in for some labor support, or can she recommend a good doula?
#30 of 41 Old 05-08-2009, 01:24 AM

This will be my second child, first homebirth. We went to our first mw appointment this morning!

Im so excited!

I told my family during my last pregnancy that I wanted a homebirth, but dp and i had not hashed things out yet. So they all know already, and if they have a problem they know me well enough to keep their mouths shut

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page