OK, lets talk registries! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-27-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided, whether or not anyone throws me a shower, I am registering anyways. Why not. As someone said, worst case scenario, I get the discount on anything that isn't on my registry at BRU.

They have a "quick registry" feature on the BRU site and you can choose what kind of mama you are- classic, earth-friendly, sporty... it matches you up with suggestions for items. I did a quick peek and registered for a few organic things and some new bottles. Ours were all hand-me-downs from 2004... time for new stuff! I have this huge fear of appearing greedy... but my friend has 14 pages of registry stuff that is under $50 and who knows how many more of $50-100 and $100 and up stuff....

So, what are you registering for, and where?

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 19 Old 06-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welllll....I did this a few weeks ago actually.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a shower thrown for me at work, and though I'm not sure whether they'll do a regular show or a diaper shower (disposables- they did this for the last babe), it would still be nice to have things I want picked out in case someone asks. I'm also not sure about a friends/family registry yet, but suspect that someone might do one since there's so much time in b/w my two AND this time it's a different gender...so yah...

Now to your question, I just registered at Target. Easy and there's one near everyone or they can buy online. I put things like a carseat, bouncer, playpen, bottles, BG dipes, a sling, giftcards, etc.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 19 Old 06-27-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm registered at BRU for a car seat, swing, toys, side snapping shirts and some other stuff. I'd love to find a cloth diaper site that does registries though.
#4 of 19 Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Well, with DS I registered at BRU and got all the major things- crib, mattress, travel system, swing, bouncer, assorted baby items, etc. I still have it all and since DS is only 2 it all works well and hasn't expired so I plan on re-using all of that. I probably won't register at BRU again, but I know family will want to buy some things, so I'll probably just leave a list of online links with my mom of things I do need- cloth diapers I want, a breast pump, a sling, etc. That way if people ask her she can let them know what I need. I'm having another boy, so I won't need a ton of clothes, just some newborn winter clothes.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#5 of 19 Old 06-27-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post
I'm registered at BRU for a car seat, swing, toys, side snapping shirts and some other stuff. I'd love to find a cloth diaper site that does registries though.
Sienna, I just googled "cloth diaper registry" and this is what came up:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...iaper+registry

I think amazon may have cloth too but I am not sure what brands..

ETA: I just checked amazon and they have some good ones: mommy's touch, imse vime, bum genius,tiny tush, kissaluvs, fuzzi bunz...

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#6 of 19 Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
Sienna, I just googled "cloth diaper registry" and this is what came up:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...iaper+registry

I think amazon may have cloth too but I am not sure what brands..

ETA: I just checked amazon and they have some good ones: mommy's touch, imse vime, bum genius,tiny tush, kissaluvs, fuzzi bunz...
Thanks! I will have to look into this.
#7 of 19 Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post
Nicki's Diapers has a registry.
#8 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 PM

We registered at Target because they're everywhere our family and friends are, and folks can order online. We registered for some basics - car seat, pack and play, bassinet, gender neutral 0-3 clothes, a couple brands of cloth diapers (to sample), manual breast pump, etc. We also registered for some carbon monoxide testers since we don't have any yet. We registered for some fun stuff too, like a couple pairs of Babylegs and adorable, larger sized onesies with cute sayings or pictures.

We decided to register because out-of-town family and friends kept asking. There was a pull out in a recent issue of Fit Pregnancy that I picked up at the midwives' office that has a good, basic list of what to register for. We used that as a guide, and we'll be pulling stuff off the registry as we find out what hand-me-downs will be coming our way and what we can score at yard sales. For instance, we're pulling the stroller off the registry since husband's mom has a jogging stroller and a regular stroller that she bought for another grandkid, but hasn't used at all, so we'll be getting it.

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

#9 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 PM

Amazon's got a new registry system where you can "register" for things on other sites, and family/friends can mark the item as "reserved" for them, and then purchase it wherever.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/baby/baby-f...iversal_whatis

I started an Amazon registry just to bookmark things, but my family are totally anti-internet-buying. Some also think the Babys-R-Us near us (1/2 hour away) is too far, so I'll be doing both BRU and Target, and hopefully splitting things pretty evenly.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#10 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Since I like items from different stores, I have opted to register at "myregistry.com". It's really cool because you can add whatever you like from different stores.

MC #1: 12/05; MC #2: 1/09 Mama to our first that arrived 11/2/09
#11 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 01:18 PM

I wasn't planning on doing a registry b/c I really don't expect anyone to buy the big stuff for us. But there are a few little things that I saw that are kind of random/obsecure that would be nice to have. Like these mats that go under the car seats and hang down with pockets for stuff. Those would be cool.

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#12 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalaRei View Post
Amazon's got a new registry system where you can "register" for things on other sites, and family/friends can mark the item as "reserved" for them, and then purchase it wherever.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/baby/baby-f...iversal_whatis

I was just going to post that!

The one thing I don't like about the Amazon registry is you can't keep it secret. I kind of wanted a private registry just to keep track of everything I need to get and mark it off as I go.

BTW, I don't think registries are bad (I love them when I'm doing the gift-buying), I just LOVE to be surprised...and I'm lazy.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#13 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Carrieco,

I found the registry helpful to pick out items, that we plan on buying, but I am not sure, that we will actually get anything. Babyshowers are really not done in my homecountry and I would have one with my friends in the US.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#14 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

I like to be surprised too- but my mother-in-law keeps a running tab on everything and reports back to me: "oh, someone bought you the blaah blah! Oh, and someone got you the blah blah!"

UGH.

#15 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
I like to be surprised too- but my mother-in-law keeps a running tab on everything and reports back to me: "oh, someone bought you the blaah blah! Oh, and someone got you the blah blah!"
It was really hard for me last pregnancy not to obsessively check my registry to see what was being marked off! Same for my wedding registry, now that I think about it... I like being surprised but I get excited!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#16 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
It was really hard for me last pregnancy not to obsessively check my registry to see what was being marked off! Same for my wedding registry, now that I think about it... I like being surprised but I get excited!

Oh, don't get me wrong- I can't resist checking, but it irks me to NO END that my MIL insists on not only checking, but reporting any activity back to me. *sigh* My mom, if she looked at it, would not broadcast everything to me.

#17 of 19 Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 PM

I registered at target just because it is convenient. Might check out Amazon, too. But I doubt I'll get anything. I am not working right now so won't have a job to throw me one, and my church typically doesn't throw baby showers for second babies, even though it is my husband's first. And my husband's job didn't even give him a lunch or a gift card or anything when he got married, so I doubt they'd do anything for a baby, either.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#18 of 19 Old 06-30-2009, 05:10 PM

I hadn't seen the posting about Amazon's cool system, but I had a friend use something similar before.

I just put some things on Nicki's registry and was SO excited about all the cool stuff. It's easy (and fun) to do some virtual shopping!
#19 of 19 Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 PM

My fave cloth diaper registry site is cottonbabies.com I used it with my first!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page