What cloth diapers are you going to use? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm using what I have leftover from my first, plus a few new ones.

BumGenius One Size mostly
BumGenius AIOs
Fuzzi Bunz
Swaddlebees
Bummis covers and prefolds

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#32 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Cloth-eez Prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers (http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com and Dappi pull-on nylon pants. Sigh. So boring. So efficient! I have used absolutely every kind of diaper there is since I started cd'ing six and a half years ago...and cloth-eez pfs, not Chinese pfs or Indian pfs, under Dappi pull-ons are the only things that consistently work for us!

With ds, I had all the little cute newborn pfs that I hand-dyed myself....and he outgrew them in three weeks. So then I used flats until he was four months old and then he fit in the brown edges, same as dd #2! He was a chunker.

With this girl, I'm going to start her off in yellow-edge cloth-eez, folding down in front to make them fit, then move her up to the brown edge when she's big enough. Then I'll have ds and dd #3 in brown edge, different sized Dappi covers and the world will be bright and smiling :

I might get some one-size Fuzzi Bunz for going out...haven't decided yet. Keeping two kids in diapers is a challenge....

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#33 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM

http://www.softclothbunz.com/ is having a sale on the older style bumGenius organic one size diapers -- they are $19.95, plus you can use a $2.00 off coupon code at check out. I went ahead and picked one up on an impulse splurge buy

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#34 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 PM

OK, I am looking at either Happy Heiney or Fuzzi Bunz one-size pocket diapers at the moment (they are my top contenders). Anyone have opinions on which of these two are better?

Also, I don't "get" the pocket part. How much messier is a pocket diaper in comparison to an AIO? When you wash the pocket diapers, do you have to pull out the pocket before you wash (essentially touching the soiled part of the diaper?). I just dont get how this part works, LOL! Step by step instructions on how to wash a pocket all in one would be much appreciated !

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#35 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
OK, I am looking at either Happy Heiney or Fuzzi Bunz one-size pocket diapers at the moment (they are my top contenders). Anyone have opinions on which of these two are better?

Also, I don't "get" the pocket part. How much messier is a pocket diaper in comparison to an AIO? When you wash the pocket diapers, do you have to pull out the pocket before you wash (essentially touching the soiled part of the diaper?). I just dont get how this part works, LOL! Step by step instructions on how to wash a pocket all in one would be much appreciated !
I really hated FBs...We bought a ton of them initially because dh wanted something "easy" and we both despised them. (they leaked horribly and trapped smell). We had a few HH and I always liked them, however as ds got bigger he could easily take them off because they velcro but he couldn't unsnap the FBs. The FBs were also a better value as they fit for a long time. However, I never had issues with the HH stinking or leaking. They both dried quickly (we lined dried).

If I had to choose between the two now I would buy HHs. (The FBs leaking drove me crazy!)

AIOs take much longer to dry and really weren't much easier than the pockets. We just held the pockets over the laundry and shook the inserts loose and then re stuffed them when they were all clean.

Hope that helps!

Carolina, tree hugging, treehugger.gif animal loving, backyard chicken keeping, Wife to Dh, homeschooling Mama to Ds1(Aug '06) and Ds2 (Nov '09)

#36 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Happy Heineys leasked for me and FB didn't I loved the FB's but am going the tried and true prefold route as I said before my firend will be giving me some BG one size and I will thow those in for outings and maybe for the middle of the night just for convience.

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#37 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunShineSally View Post
Happy Heineys leasked for me and FB didn't I loved the FB's but am going the tried and true prefold route as I said before my firend will be giving me some BG one size and I will thow those in for outings and maybe for the middle of the night just for convience.
I think the way children are built affects the results with these diapers!

We're also sticking with prefolds and fitteds this time, both because they are more affordable and because I never had leaking problems with quality prefolds and good covers!

If I end up working out of home this time then I would like to have a few pockets (or AIOs) for whoever helps while I'm at work.

IMO you can't beat prefolds and covers!

Carolina, tree hugging, treehugger.gif animal loving, backyard chicken keeping, Wife to Dh, homeschooling Mama to Ds1(Aug '06) and Ds2 (Nov '09)

#38 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post

A pocket dipe is just like a diaper cover, only with some kind of material outside of the waterproof part (if that makes sense). You stuff absorbent material into the pocket between the laminate and the material. Some people say they just toss the whole pocket dipe (with the stuffing still in it) into the wash. I personally preferred to "unstuff" the pocket before laundering, so yes, I had to touch the soiled part. Ew. What I found was that it is much easier just to lay absorbent material into a cover (i.e. a folded prefold into a wrap-style cover) and put on baby. After unvelcroing or unsnapping the cover, the soiled prefold can be tossed into a wet bag, bucket, or straight into the washing machine with very little, if any, contact with the soiled part.

That said, I did like my fuzzibunz. They fit my son well and washed up pretty well, too. If I prestuffed them, other cloth-diaper-nervous people seemed ok with putting them on my son. I had Happy Heinies too, but they wicked something fierce for me. I don't know if it is because I bought them used (almost all my diapers were used, anyway) or what, but though they were the trimmest, they just didn't work for us.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#39 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacm View Post
I wish I knew what I was doing!!

I find the multitude of systems and options overwhelming!

So confused! And I have to register soon... eek!
There are websites that do sample/trial packs. Jillian's Drawers is one that comes to mind, although there are other sites that do this. You pay a deposit, they send you 8 or 10 different brands (all new) you try them out, then can return them or buy them out for some kind of a deal. I think it's such a great idea, although I never did try it. I went a little crazy on Diaper Swappers, buying one of this and one of that. That works too, I certainly don't regret any money I spent on there, and got a really great variety.

Don't be overwhelmed! It's fun!

As for us, I've got some embellished prefolds with covers, a dozen adorable itty bitty AIO's, can't remember what kind, and that's it. All of the diapers from DS have had their day in the sun, so I'm excited to buy some new (used) ones.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#40 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 PM

I second the packages! It is nice to be able to sample some, fiddle around with them and see which ones you like... also if you check out diaperswappers.com, you can get cheapie ones. If you go to Diaper Lots, sometimes people post packages that are good for starting out...

I personally love pockets. I find CDing to be fun, and even addictive! We are temporarily using sposies while living with family and every time I throw a diaper away, I die a little inside. And every time I have to go buy diapers, I cringe because I have several dozen CD's sitting in a basket, waiting till we get our own place. 3 more days of sposies till we are in our own apartment and CDing again!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#41 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 PM

We'll be using the small FB we had from our son and then will probably purchase more OS BG as those are our favorites now. The velcro hasn't worn out on them yet and my son's been in them about 7-8 mos. They also are more absorbent than the FB and don't retain odors (I used to have to strip the FB every month or so). I hope this helps. I did have luck finding FB on Craigslist and BG on e-bay.
#42 of 44 Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM

After reading as much as I could, I decided to buy a package of Fuzzi Bunz diapers. They seem to best fit our needs and expectations. Right now I have purchased 13 smalls and was considering buying 5 more smalls and 18 one size. Now I am thinking I might hold off on additional diapers until I try these out on our little one...they are just so fun to buy!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#43 of 44 Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 PM

we have some prefolds, contours, and fitteds. my fav so far is the kissaluvs contours, not that i have used them but they are SO soft. i am going to look at some bumgenius one size tomorrow. i had a bunch of newborn diapers kicked down so i am trying to wait to see what i like best when the babe is here before i go crazy. i could drop some major cash on cloth diapers~~

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

#44 of 44 Old 07-25-2009, 10:40 AM

Prefolds and/or fitteds. I like them because they let the baby's skin breathe.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page